What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freshwater algae

FGB

Anybody tried to use freshwater algae?

This is year I’m going to test some different variety on my crop and the next days I’ll post some photos about them (I’d like to recognize the type becouse I’m not an expert in this sector)

I know the excellent qualities of seaweed/kelp but I’d like to know if somebody tried to use some freshwater algae on the plants and it’s effect.

:thank you:

Booyah!

I'm curious about this as well. I've always tried to avoid algae, but use fermented plant juice so perhaps I'm missing out.

M

mrghost

algae is generally a good food for your soil life. If you can grow the algae yourself, go for it. It's always good to have control over the cultivation and add a little diversity to your mix.

Algae is good as foliar sprays (also aloe vera) while kelp seems to have some very special properties.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've added Klamath Lake Blue/Green algae to my mixes.
I'm not sure what/if it had any effect on the soil/soil life as it was a small amount used w no controls.

I figured that if it was good for me then it must be good for the soil life.

h.h.

Veteran
It contains a wee bit of nutritional information. There's probably better info out there.
It points out that blue/green algae is actually a bacteria.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thx for the link.

For those too lazy to read:

Pros

Nitrogen fixation
grow in a mutualistic relationship with fungi

Contra

can consume so much of the water’s dissolved oxygen that fish and other aquatic organisms perish (in nitrogen rich environments)
Works well, but don't let it smother soil.

M

mrghost

Works well, but don't let it smother soil.

The contra I mentioned is based on water organisms. A lot of organisms in your soil won't mind, when brewing teas algae doesn't really grow so no harm here.

I guess this is more related to still ponds and aquariums with too little oxygen being pumped in.

So in general it sounds like a keeper (or something to try)

I might try to cultivate these and test it.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The contra I mentioned is based on water organisms. A lot of organisms in your soil won't mind, when brewing teas algae doesn't really grow so no harm here.

I guess this is more related to still ponds and aquariums with too little oxygen being pumped in.

So in general it sounds like a keeper (or something to try)

I might try to cultivate these and test it.

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can think of no reason one could not grow algae in an airlift bioreactor, especially the photo trophic ones mentioned in the article hh posted. (AKA ACT maker)

I expose my ACT brews to light and use translucent barrels to encourage phototrophic organisms.

h.h.

Veteran
Looks like it is available commercially.
I'd put up a link, but there are a few different companies and I'm not ready to endorse anybody.
Google "algae soil amendment".

i know BioBizz green bottle ALG-A-MIC is algaes.

This contains vitamins. Microlife, and Calcium, Magnesium. Organic.

This is used hundreds of years by farmers and so.

This is very good if you can find right ones, and maybe have them controlled also.
Or
you can buy professional brands that is certified.

The plants can handle more heat with algae
they stay also greener and more healthy all my plants after i start use this ALC-A-MIC

M

mrghost

i know BioBizz green bottle ALG-A-MIC is algaes.

This contains vitamins. Microlife, and Calcium, Magnesium. Organic.

This is used hundreds of years by farmers and so.

This is very good if you can find right ones, and maybe have them controlled also.
Or
you can buy professional brands that is certified.

The plants can handle more heat with algae
they stay also greener and more healthy all my plants after i start use this ALC-A-MIC

ALG-A-MIC is basically just Kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum, to be precise). I saw an interview where they explained this. ALG-A-MIC can be homemade for a fraction of the price. You can also combine or use other types of kelp/algae to achieve the same or similar effects.