What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local materials

Rico Swazi

made a mistake of planting clover and alfalfa together earlier this spring for a chop and drop. The clover outgrew the alfalfa in every stand that came up thru the mulch. I expected the other way around.

picture.php

comfrey hasn't been watered at all this year after being cut in the spring. Very hardy once established.
Another plant growers should consider growing their own.

picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
made a mistake of planting clover and alfalfa together earlier this spring for a chop and drop. The clover outgrew the alfalfa in every stand that came up thru the mulch. I expected the other way around.

View Image

comfrey hasn't been watered at all this year after being cut in the spring. Very hardy once established.
Another plant growers should consider growing their own.

View Image

Was just looking at this
[Iframeb]Q0zXGLL6HDg[/Iframeb]

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just bottled some EM ferment to use as a probiotic for my dog and me. I put in glass bottles once fermentation is finished. I use smaller bottles for the least exposure to air with each use/dose.
The darker stuff is just with molasses, water and EM; the other is made with grape juice, molasses and EM [& water]. The dog does not get the grape juice ferment. Next time, I'm going to try grapefruit juice.

The regular recipe did not turn as orange as previously but you can still see a tinge to it. It might influenced by a number of factors, lower wattage CFL, water, stock culture.

picture.php

picture.php

h.h.

Veteran
I always wanted to do a flash mob in a parking lot where the landscaping was torn out and food planted. Do seed bombs with spinach seed...

Rico Swazi

Flash mob making hooglies out of a parking lot, I like it!

the before and after pics are cool too hh

Here is the food forest humble beginnings a couple years ago with a few volunteers along for the ride. I soon realized the bed wasn't big enough to suit my needs so last year I moved everything fifteen feet to what you see now in the last pic

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Rico Swazi

Was just looking at this
[iframeb]Q0zXGLL6HDg[/iframeb]

yep, comfrey yarrow in a bucket to soak = good stuff

but you don't have to

I've found top dressing with the leaves particularly useful as mulch. Pics from a couple years ago
I've mulched the hooglie in the above pic with comfrey leaves in the same way earlier this year.
Proof in the pudding is in how it grows

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

worms and plants love the stuff
I encourage you and others to start growing comfrey yarrow nettle alfalfa et al if you are not doing so.

saves me a a bunch of money on noots :biggrin:

h.h.

Veteran
I just bottled some EM ferment to use as a probiotic for my dog and me. I put in glass bottles once fermentation is finished. I use smaller bottles for the least exposure to air with each use/dose.
The darker stuff is just with molasses, water and EM; the other is made with grape juice, molasses and EM [& water]. The dog does not get the grape juice ferment. Next time, I'm going to try grapefruit juice.

The regular recipe did not turn as orange as previously but you can still see a tinge to it. It might influenced by a number of factors, lower wattage CFL, water, stock culture.

View Image

View Image

I did the ice chest light bulb thing per your other postings.
Somebody stole it.
Who the hell would steal something like that?
Jonesing for that purple l guess.

h.h.

Veteran
picture.php

Thought it was amaranth until I researched it.
Have it soaking with some alfalfa I trimmed up.
Some poultry manure out of the broader, a little sugar, and some yeast flakes.

[YOUTUBEIF]https://youtu.be/YnU1njrBK7o[/YOUTUBEIF]

h.h.

Veteran
Mullein:( Cowboy toilet paper)

I also left out chemicals and compounds found in other parts of Verbascum thapsus L.

ALUMINUM Leaf 1,090 ppm;
ASCORBIC-ACID Leaf 776 ppm;
ASH Leaf 86,000 ppm;
BETA-CAROTENE Leaf 43 ppm;
CALCIUM Leaf 13,300 ppm;
CARBOHYDRATES Leaf 803,000 ppm;
CHROMIUM Leaf 14 ppm;
COBALT Leaf 128 ppm;
FAT Leaf 13,000 ppm;
FIBER Leaf 111,000 ppm;
IRON Leaf 2,360 ppm
MAGNESIUM Leaf 3,230 ppm;
MANGANESE Leaf 120 ppm;
PHOSPHORUS Leaf 5,700 ppm;
POTASSIUM Leaf 13,200 ppm;
PROTEIN Leaf 108,000 ppm;
RIBOFLAVIN Leaf 1.1 ppm;
SILICON Leaf 74 ppm;
SODIUM Leaf 760 ppm;
TIN Leaf 12 ppm;
WATER Leaf 786,000 ppm;
ZINC Leaf 4 ppm;

=============
You can compost them green or dried, another way to use these leaves is to dry them then grind them and just sprinkle the powder like it was bone meal.
We are going to use this method for the squashes and tomatoes this year. I have somewhere around 17 plants that are 7 years old, every year they get bigger and I get more leaves from them.

http://organicgroup.freeforums.net/thread/474/using-mullein-leaves-compost-fertilizer

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Something appears very wrong with this link/info from a discussion forum. Mullein is a biennial plant which dies after the second year [unless there is some magic of which I am unaware] therefore the author's statement; " I have somewhere around 17 plants that are 7 years old, every year they get bigger and I get more leaves from them. " sounds like a complete fabrication.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did the ice chest light bulb thing per your other postings.
Somebody stole it.
Who the hell would steal something like that?
Jonesing for that purple l guess.

Where did they steal it from? Your porch?

h.h.

Veteran
Something appears very wrong with this link/info from a discussion forum. Mullein is a biennial plant which dies after the second year [unless there is some magic of which I am unaware] therefore the author's statement; " I have somewhere around 17 plants that are 7 years old, every year they get bigger and I get more leaves from them. " sounds like a complete fabrication.

It is a forum.
However:
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/perennial/mullein/

Latest posts

Latest posts