What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COB lighting

thebakedroo

Hello every one, so I'm looking for some information on COB lighting, I have a smallish house so I would benefit a lot from cooling costs.

I have a friend using an LED setup with 2 COBs running at 50w per COB, his results have not impressed me so much with the buds being smaller on cuttings I grow under HPS, we live in a humid climate so this has it's benefits, but I would love to see HPS like results without the heat.

I've been looking at doing a DIY myself and I'm wondering what sort of success people are having with higher output (80-100w) COBs compared to HPS.

Thanks.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
How many plants is he growing under 100 of cobs because that's about enough for one plant.

Lots of super professional growers dumped their hps a while back and havent gone back so what does that tell you?

I used hps for 15 years and now use mostly LED and im not going back to big hot hps rigs.. the wattage i save can go towards more enviro control.. they still make more than enough heat for me indoors. Im not trying to twist your arm this is just my 2 :2cents:

positivity

Veteran
I'm a long time grower. LED didn't get the quality high enough for me. When you get a certain level it's hard to go backwards.
It's fun trying though..sometimes...for a little while.

Pro growers using led will be second string to good outdoor or hid until the tech improves

starke

I have only been growing for about 4 years and I have only grown under CFL and LED. I currently flower under two commercially made COB fixtures and veg under a combo of homemade off the shelf bulb fixtures and an LED high bay shoplight. Although I have never grown under any of the incandescent technologies, I can't imagine why I would want to. This opinion is limited to my own personal, non-commercial, growing.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Actually i take what i said back. 100w of cob or otherwise is not enough for one plant unless serious topping and training is performed.

40w led per square foot imo is not a bad estimate and its a struggle to fit a plant in a 2 1/2 x 1' space.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Check out the lighting sticky in my signature, not all led is the same (or bulb for that matter). People try one shitty china led panel or cmh bulb usually and write them off entirely. How many watts of HPS are you trying to replace with COB?

positivity

Veteran
My current LED light is more advanced than anything on the market and its now a few years since I built it myself. Must not be me your talking about

I'd recommend CMH if heat is a concern but if you have your heart set on LED these blokes seem anxious to help

thebakedroo

Thanks for the replies every one.
He currently grows scrog with roughly 2x2 foot of area.

He was growing with HPS for a good 10+ years and prefers the COBs now, I personally think it's a backward step if quality product is your top priority.

There's nothing wrong with his grows, the buds are just smaller and not quite as frosty, his environment is controlled and he's some one I consider a great grower, so I'm putting it down to the lights.

Like some one else said, people are quick to rule LED out based on 1 experience, I'm trying to keep an open mind even after seeing his results.

thebakedroo

So I've been trying to find a good COB option and the Cree CXB3590 looks like a good option for 100w.

I've tried to find information on the LUX readings from these lights as I don't care for the par "science", in my whole experience with all types of lighting I would say higher LUX = better result, the Cree listed uses a spectrum similar to the sun, so LUX should be a fair measure to use on such a light/spectrum.

I'll get criticism for my comments on par but if a light is trying to replicate the suns spectrum and the sun gives a very high lux, why do these lights give off baby values yet can burn plants when put closer than say 12 inches?

Here's an example showing lux/height with the Cree @ 100w

HTB1P_ywSpXXXXXDXpXXq6xXFXXXM.jpg

Thanks all, just trying to understand how this all works.
I would love to see some pictures of a large dense frosty buds grown under COBs if any one has these available?

thebakedroo

I'm aware of the science behind spectrums and photosynthesis, thanks though.

To me intensity is still everything, a great spectrum with low penetration is not superior because science says the spectrums better, the old generation LEDs are useless in my eyes.

Now the reason COBs have me interested is the talk around higher LUX, people talk about PAR but when we are in the suns spectrum, LUX is everything imo, there may be colours in a COB which a LUX meter wont register, but even if you double the LUX values on the picture presented, it's still not that great.

Has any one got multiple 80-100w COBs running and a LUX meter?

positivity

Veteran
I'm aware of the science behind spectrums and photosynthesis, thanks though.

To me intensity is still everything, a great spectrum with low penetration is not superior because science says the spectrums better, the old generation LEDs are useless in my eyes.

Now the reason COBs have me interested is the talk around higher LUX, people talk about PAR but when we are in the suns spectrum, LUX is everything imo, there may be colours in a COB which a LUX meter wont register, but even if you double the LUX values on the picture presented, it's still not that great.

Has any one got multiple 80-100w COBs running and a LUX meter?

Yes and yes. Why? Numbers will go high obviously. Doesn’t change the overall spectrum is the problem. Whether the growth you get is what you want or not will depend on your ultimate skill level and desire for the application

Christmas Eve..maybe another time. I try to limit my led talk also..there are easier and more vigorous ways to grow than reinventing wheels

Merry Christmas to all.....:)

thebakedroo

Yes and yes. Why? Numbers will go high obviously. Doesn’t change the overall spectrum is the problem. Whether the growth you get is what you want or not will depend on your ultimate skill level and desire for the application

Christmas Eve..maybe another time. I try to limit my led talk also..there are easier and more vigorous ways to grow than reinventing wheels

Merry Christmas to all.....:)

No problem, understood! I would love to know the LUX you're getting at 16 inches.

Merry Christmas!

EcoNepenthe

COBs Rock!!

COBs Rock!!

I switched from HPS to Cree COBs. Quality buds, great yields, less heat, less electricity use. I could go on.
I've a few videos on YT (homegrown365) showing my COBs in production. Seeing is believing.
COBs and QBs are the future. Hope you find all that you need.

Stay safe!!!
Success w/ya grow!!! :canabis: