Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California?

Thread Title Search
Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2018, 05:28 AM #1
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant future
Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California?

I am clearing my house and going walkabout next Spring. My initial destination is Santa Barbara. I plan to stay in a hotel or suite just long enough to find a nice little place on or near the beach to rent for 6 months to a year while I look for a place to live and a house to buy Maybe more, maybe less.

I have seen a number of places on Craigslist and Zillow. Looks like $3k a month will get me a decent shack on or near the beach.

Furnished or unfurnished, I don't care. I assume they have cheap furniture stores where I can grab a couch and some tables.

Once I get it livable, I am going to head out to see where I want to live. I presume somewhere in Cali but, there are plenty of nice places nearby like Tahoe and Vegas. Mexico would be my dream but the wife is scared to death to leave the country. Poor thing lives in a very small box. This move is freaking her out. LMAO San Fransisco is a dream but the weather is not great and I am a total outdoor person.

Anyway, any tips are very cool. Like... Goleta or Carpentina (sp)? Goleta looks cheap because it's all the college kids. Which is great for me because I hate old people. I'm 65 going on 22. LOL The music scene is probably cool around the kids and I play drums and don't plan on quitting.

And, I'm not really stuck on Santa Barbara. I was there a few years ago and it's a beautiful, quaint little town. I may end up in San Fransisco or LA but I don't want to start there. Santa Barbara just hit my heart and soul. And, it's central to the area I am looking to buy a home and live. (San Fran to San Diego).

However, just down the road closer to Ventura, it seems to get way cheaper. And, going toward Malibu even cheaper yet. I don't imagine it's the hood anywhere along the beach is it? Anyplace within a block from the beach should be a nice, safe and comfortable place to stay..... Yes?

Can't imagine why it gets cheaper towards LA. I would expect it to get more expensive.Perhaps I'm not the only one who loved Santa Barbara. LOL

Anyway, I would love to hear from people who know the area with any suggestions or warnings. Especially warnings, I guess.

Oh, and I am bringing my dog. He is a big dog (Golden Retriever) but I have been a dog trainer for 12 years and this dog is better behaved than ANY child I have ever met. LOL So, hopefully, it won't limit me too much. Are dogs allowed on the beach? Are sand fleas a problem?

This is one of my dreams come true to move to California and spend my final days dipping my toes in the sand of my back yard..... the Pacific Ocean.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:26 AM #2
mean mr.mustard
I Pass Satellites

Location: Overturning Pebbles and Upending All the Animals Alight
mean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivor
Post in California's forum for more hits.

I can tell you what's up in Ohio.

mean mr.mustard is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:32 AM #3
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant future
Might be a good idea. I hate to double post.

I can tell you what's going on in Ohio too..... snow. That's why I'm going to California. LOL

We have not had a dry day in weeks. Or sunshine. LOL

Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 AM #4
GOT_BUD?

GOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud ofGOT_BUD? has much to be proud of
Did you know that Wisconsin gets 65 more days of sun than Ohio?

I don't remember where I heard that. But it was odd enough that it stuck in my brain.
GOT_BUD? is offline Quote

Old 11-29-2018, 11:13 AM #5
Gypsy Nirvana
Free'd P.O.W.

Gypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivor
I lived in California from 1978 - 1982, so I really don't know so much how things might be today and most of it was in SF - although I did stay in L.A. and Santa Cruz briefly and most places were absolutely gorgeous - fine weather most of the year.

What I might suggest is that you try and get a place that is away from where these many forest fires burn - since I know people that have in recent years been very adversely affected by this yearly problem California has. Malibu is not such a good idea.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:44 PM #6
Ringodoggie

Yeah, I must admit, all the fires this year have me a tiny bit discouraged. However, I would rather stand in front of that fire with my pants down, peeing for my life..... than face another fucking Winter in Shithole, Ohio (Shithole, Ohio is a small town outside, Depression, Ohio.) I just hate the cold weather and the lack of sunshine. We only average 42 sunny days a YEAR. Not quite Colorado. LOL

Besides, if the fires come, I simply get in my car and drive somewhere else until they are done. I am pretty care free so I can go somewhere else for months at a time if I want.

Thanks for the input, gang.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:18 PM #7
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
There is nothing on the horizon to indicate that California will have a better year wildfire wise, in 2019 or 2020, than in 2017 or 2018.

More, to the contrary.

One of the things I used to like about driving in California, whether it was highway 5 (inland) or 101 (on the coast), was getting to know the discount motels.

The Super 8 with the Curry smell because it's run by an Indian family. The Motel 6 which has fresh coffee at 5 AM (instead of 6) because that's just the way they did it.

The OTHER Motel 6 (in Eureka) where you could just use your nose to find the room with the finest OG Kush.

Most of those places aren't gone. They're filled with wildfire refugees.

Same for campgrounds, etc.

2019 & 2020, it won't get better, because the fire year is determined in advance, by preparations. And there are no material preparations in California. Meanwhile CO2 levels are rising, so there will be a new and bigger crop of combustible fuel in 2019.

I suggest having a vehicle that allows you to put a mattress in the back, so that you are more independent of motel & campground vacancies. Then you can stay at highway rest areas if need be.

In many towns, scope out the Walmart parking lot to see if camping is allowed - right there, in the Walmart parking lot.

Also, the fire in Paradise will create some buying opportunities, especially if you have cash. The recent un-controlled burn will protect the town from another fire for about 5 years. Show up with $10K or $20K and you might be able to buy a lot.

Also, Paradise is pretty much in California gold country. One of the primary problems lately in gold country is - nowhere to stay.

I also suggest having a squeaky clean vehicle. All turn signals working, etc. Plenty of California (and Oregon, and Washington) cops would love to score office brownie points by impounding your vehicle - for no real reason whatsoever.

If you start at Santa Barbara, I suggest driving North on 101 to Santa Maria area. There's about 100 miles of coastline there.

A 30 Degree day feels like a 40 Degree Day

(Degrees F)
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 11-29-2018, 10:26 PM #8
vta

vta is a survivorvta is a survivorvta is a survivorvta is a survivorvta is a survivorvta is a survivorvta is a survivorvta is a survivorvta is a survivorvta is a survivorvta is a survivor
SB is nice, I'm there several times a month. In all of Santa Barbara County, I would only live in two places. Carpinteria if you want the beach...it is also a major cannabis hub. You can't drive past on the 101 without smelling all the greenhouses. Great town.

Santa Ynez is another beautiful area. Especially if you like wine. I think there are over 250 wineries now. Also a little cheaper than SB proper. Warmer.

South in Ventura you get cheaper rents but more crime. Great beaches and plenty to do. Revamped downtown with tons of live music on the weekends. South of that is Oxnard. 3rd world cesspool. Don't even consider it.

San Fran is a shithole...literately. LA is just as bad. Unless you live in the suburbs...I wouldn't live directly in either one.

That said I love LA ! And always live within a couple hours. I am also a music lover and go to a ton of shows there. Everything you could think to do, LA has it.

Check out Carpinteria...bet you would dig it.

vta is offline Quote

Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 PM #9
igrowone

igrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond reputeigrowone has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Phatty View Post
Also, the fire in Paradise will create some buying opportunities, especially if you have cash. The recent un-controlled burn will protect the town from another fire for about 5 years. Show up with $10K or $20K and you might be able to buy a lot.
funny, i was having some similar thoughts about the area
is it the future? migrations following the burned out areas
every disaster leaves opportunity in its wake

Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 PM #10
MedResearcher

MedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really nice
Born and raised in Cali. Have spent time in many places including the Central Coast, which is what I would consider S.B.

If you head South you end up in Ventura and the greater LA area pretty quickly. North of S.B. is nice, besides Santa Maria to Oceano. Not that those places are terrible, just not great imo. I have a couple sets of retired Aunts/Uncles in Cayucos. Nice sleepy beach town, not to far from S.L.O. Anywhere around S.L.O is nice, just land on the coastal side of the grade unless you like hot summers. The inland side of the grade is warmer, drier, and cheaper though. Santa Margarita is an interesting small town, Templeton is really nice to, both located right on the 101.

Mr^^
MedResearcher is offline Quote