What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not really enjoying the switch from joints to vaping

trifector

I purchased the Pax 2 vaporizer last week, which is quite a bit of money out of my monthly budget for me and to be honest I'm not really enjoying it.

I find the taste less than smoking and it takes me a while to get high.

I usually smoke every day which I know is bad for me and it was health reasons that pushed me to make the switch

Does anything disagree and think smoking is actually a better experience and vaping?

mayorofthdesert

it can take a while to get accustomed to vaping, maybe give it a bit. i never fully made the switch, i too prefer smoking. the pax 2 does concentrates too, correct? if you have any interest in that maybe you can still get your money's worth out of it.

i'd be interested to hear how the pax does with concentrates

Egzoset

Salutations Trifector,

...Pax 2...

Throwing money at a problem ain't the best way to start, instead try to understand what's being done then it shall eventually become clearer why the disapointment.

In "joint"/cigarette smoking, for example, what we got boils down to some self-vilifying (toxic) yet very convenient consumption method: a disposable containment tubular wall made of wood fiber + glue collects super-hot combustion exhaust gases from burning-hot vegetal tissue in order to provide an efficient "Release/Transport Agent" while turning to dust simultaneously. Most unfortunately this results in a mix of contaminated "vapour" exposing us to a multitude of by-products promoting even more toxic secondary reactions when heated...

The device you mention belongs to what i came to classify as a "Hot Dry Air Ovenizer" where the "Release/Transport Agent" ain't carrying as much energy on top of being part of a relatively slow thermalization process which tends to penetrate vegetal tissue much too deep. So it should be no wonder why that fails to emulate your smoker habbit, really!

My recommendation is to pay more attention to devices supporting a potent "burst" mode, one only targeting the contact-surface where trichome glands reside, ideally.

Good day, have fun!! :tiphat:

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea, smoking cannabis has a different effect compared to vaping. I have a Volcano but i like a bong or joints better.

yardgrazer

I've got a Pax3.

The big thing about vapes vs joints or pipes, what-have-you, is that they're just different. Technique, effect, different (technique maybe less so transitioning from joints).

I've come to appreciate vapes over the years, after a Vaporbox, and a few different dry herb pens, but again, different from other means of inhaling cannabis.

A couple suggestions: 1. What temperature are you vaping at? Might want to try playing with the settings a bit. 2. Ever consider mostly vaping, but then smoking a pinner/skinny joint at the end? I've definitely had a lot of luck with vaping, then smoking a bowl on top of it.

Defacto

I encourage you to stick to vaping. Your lungs of the future will thank you.

You can make up for the lesser buzz from vaping by consuming more vapor or edibles made with the cannabis saved from vaping. :)

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
This post...

This post...

Salutations Trifector,

Throwing money at a problem ain't the best way to start, instead try to understand what's being done then it shall eventually become clearer why the disapointment.

In "joint"/cigarette smoking, for example, what we got boils down to some self-vilifying (toxic) yet very convenient consumption method: a disposable containment tubular wall made of wood fiber + glue collects super-hot combustion exhaust gases from burning-hot vegetal tissue in order to provide an efficient "Release/Transport Agent" while turning to dust simultaneously. Most unfortunately this results in a mix of contaminated "vapour" exposing us to a multitude of by-products promoting even more toxic secondary reactions when heated...

The device you mention belongs to what i came to classify as a "Hot Dry Air Ovenizer" where the "Release/Transport Agent" ain't carrying as much energy on top of being part of a relatively slow thermalization process which tends to penetrate vegetal tissue much too deep. So it should be no wonder why that fails to emulate your smoker habbit, really!

My recommendation is to pay more attention to devices supporting a potent "burst" mode, one only targeting the contact-surface where trichome glands reside, ideally.

Good day, have fun!! :tiphat:

Epic reply

Samuel Caldwell

I'm planning on buying a couple vapes this weekend during the black Friday sales. My wife and I want to go combustion free by the new year. We're both daily smokers so it just seems like a smart healthy choice to eliminate the smoke. Less stink around the house and on our clothes, too.

I used a friend's first gen Pax several years ago. As I recall, the effects were much 'cleaner', more 'heady' and less debilitating. They would sneak up on me rather than slamming me like a big toke off a joint. Good, but different than I was used to.

I also remember that when I smoked after vaping I could REALLY taste the burning, ashy flavor. I enjoyed it because it was the flavor I knew from years of smoking, almost nostalgic. But I could definitely taste ashtray.

As mentioned, it's a different experience overall. Like anything else that's new, we're going to commit to giving it a proper trial. It'll take time to learn the new experience and I believe we'll come to enjoy it more than combusting. I'm also looking forward to trying a newer gen vape! The technology has progressed so quickly, it should be a fun experience!

For your health, hang in there! Best of luck!

sc

Ringodoggie

Premium user
If you want to transition from joints to vaping, the VapCap is probably the best transition vape.

If you don't like using a butane lighter with it, get an induction heater.

I recently switched from combustion to vaping. I bought every vape available. Spent about 2 grand the first few months buying vapes.

Now, I am selling all but the few I use every day.

Do we have a classified section here where we can buy and sell stuff (besides seeds).

Puffitup will have VapCaps on sale real soon, if not already.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
The air where i am is some of the worst in europe, does smoking compare to fumes from industry and transport? The jury is still out on that one for now.

I just add some potent hash when i can and smoke less joints that way.

You'd probably do yourself more good HEPA filtering your home and continuing to just smoke weed enjoying your herb the way you want..

Also terpenes are probably the most anti cancer constituents of marijuana and most if not all of those are in the plant tissue and not in trichs. And terpenes are quite strongly involved in our perception which mediates the high and changes the ride quite a bit. i dont like vaping because of the loss of combusting the terps.

Would anyone really want to smoke the best high inducing weed regularly if it had no taste? Im not sure i would.

rolandomota

Yea same thing here vaporizer didn't get me high but a joint right after was way more satisfying than just smoking alone. One joint instead of two the first one was vaporized and even at higher temperatures (made me cough from a little bit of combustion) I still felt nothing until I smoked. I even tried waiting after vaping and nope nothing

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
No they are actually produced there, i lied that was accidental bs, but must oxidise and cure in hash, because it rarely tastes as high in terpenes as the flower, and change a lot. In vapes though many will get denatured depending on your temp.. they all evaporate at different temperatures so in a joint i presume that temperature gradient that exists with that paper tube allows a wide range of terps to be evaporated within those temperature gradients and then inhaled.. in a way a lot of what you smoke in a joint is vapourised because the heat of the gasses passing by trichs higher up the joint will vapourise them. Many terpenes just have very low boiling points and are classed as volatile oils.

Terpenes are not in the trichs?????????

theJointedOne

Veteran
I did not combust for a few years, have the Arizer Solo. Works well enough for me. I've had the Evo, pax2, herbalizer, volcano ECT. Sold them all. Solo works well home a few road.

Just stop smoking, stick to it, and vaping will start to get you higher ECT.

beta

Veteran
I've used a Volcano almost exclusively for 12+ years and I haaate smoking now, it just tastes like ash and butthole. The Volcano is way more efficient anyhow.

fwiw I never liked my pax. Like you said it's weak vapor and takes too long.

G

We bought a Pax2 last year and used it but have drifted more to a glass pipe. Probably need to go back to the pax. I can definitely tell the effects of smoking. I quit smoking cigarettes 15 years ago and dont want to have my lungs feeling like that again.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Sesile trichs hold terps in plant matter. Roots also have terps.

:yeahthats

I was also just thinking about other chemistry usually produced in plant cells over trichs like the anthocyanadin flavonoid pigments (blues, purples, reds) that might remain more in the plant skeleton and not be released by vaping. They like lots of other compounds also has an effect when inhaled.. marijuana has been selected to have a pretty wide diversity of members from the phenols/aromatic family like terpenes, terpenoids, sesquiterpenes etc and they all have varying complexity and molecular weights that cause them to vapourise at different temperatures.

To the op id also say stick with vaping though for a bit, maybe try and use it to give your lungs a break for a year or longer.. :dunno:

I have a Mighty, only use it when I want to toke inside. I don’t like the hard pull straight into the lungs.
I’m on a rosin kick right now. Smoke a big fat rosin covered joint and then eat a chunk of rosin.