Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cooking With Cannabis > Calling all chocolatiers....

Thread Title Search
Calling all chocolatiers.... Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2018, 01:49 PM #1
Illuminate
OG refugee

Illuminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud of
Smile Calling all chocolatiers....

I followed this recipe:

Cocao butter
Cocao powder
Icing sugar
Full fat milk powder

It went fine until i added the milk powder last like the recipe said, it went grainy af and no amount of whisking made it smooth. Nor will it set, i have not tempered it at all just like the recipe says: mix it and pour.

I am not a chef, why did this happen? Is it the recipe?

Tia
Illuminate is offline Quote

Old 11-12-2018, 05:29 PM #2
mean mr.mustard
I Pass Satellites

Location: Overturning Pebbles and Upending All the Animals Alight
mean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivormean mr.mustard is a survivor
The milk powder crystallized lumps in the chocolate.

Consider condensed milk.
mean mr.mustard is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 PM #3
Illuminate
OG refugee

Illuminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud ofIlluminate has much to be proud of
Thats a winner right there.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:54 PM #4
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Keep it simple and clean...

1/2 cup canna coconut oil
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3 TBSP honey
1/2 tsp vanilla

And..... don't forget the lecithin. It will assist in emulsifying the ingredients and is a GIANT booster to the bioavailability factor. Lecithin generally makes my edibles 2x stronger (simply because more is absorbed and less is passed through).

Melt the oil over low heat, Add the cocoa, honey and vanilla. Add lecithin as tolerated.

Generally speaking, the more the better... as long as it doesn't affect the taste. I use a single TBSP in this mix.

Also, I don't use soy lecithin. I use sunflower lecithin and I like the liquid over the powder.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abvbuttercandy-1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	476802

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:00 PM #5
Illuminate
OG refugee

Thanks man!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 PM #6
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Another thing about home made chocolate is that it always melts in your hand and gets all over everything.

One thing you can do to help harden your chocolate is to "temper" it.

This is a 'must do' for me when I make chocolate for friends.

https://www.ghirardelli.com/tempering-chocolate

I almost always use Ghirardelli cocoa.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:40 PM #7
Illuminate
OG refugee

Tbh im just making a chocolate to make truffles from, using canna butter. But condensed milk may have solved my grainy issue, im familiar with seed tempering but havent tried it yet.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:42 PM #8
Ringodoggie

In that case, condensed milk would have worked much better.

However, even with the powdered milk, lecithin probably would have homogenized it. Stuff works miracles for blending.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 PM #9
Illuminate
OG refugee

I will look at getting the liquid form like you mentioned, i did have a kilo of soy lecithin but i went bad so i threw it, incorrectly stored. Thanks for the heads up bro, my cocao comes from peru and its really tasty.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:59 AM #10
Ringodoggie

Here is the stuff I use...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NOW-Veget...ta&athena=true