Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Medicinal Cannabis Forum > Cannabis root medicine

Thread Title Search
Post Reply
Cannabis root medicine Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2018, 07:17 PM #1
CannaRed
Member

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North of the Border
Posts: 401
CannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really nice
Cannabis root medicine

My friend suffers from gout. I found sparse info that the ancient Chinese used the roots of cannabis plant to make a preparation to treat gout.

Anybody ever made medicine with roots?
There's not supposed to be much concentration of cannabinoids in the roots so maybe it's another type of compound.

I'm wondering what the best way to extract the medicine. If it's not cannabinoids it might be better to do a tea with water. Or it might work better with hydrocarbon solvents...

Anyone know?
CannaRed is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:20 PM #2
I wood
Member

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 594
I wood has disabled reputation
Yes, clean roots chopped and processed the same way you would make butter but with coconut oil reduced pain for arthritis and fibromyalgia patient. Used topically the root oil reduced pain noticeably but not near completely. Better results were had using a rso based topical with the root oil as a base.
In a few blind tests no one could differentiate between topical made with root infused oil and topical made without it.
__________________
Adrift in Hilbert space.
I wood is online now Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:15 PM #3
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,048
ReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by I wood View Post
Yes, clean roots chopped and processed the same way you would make butter but with coconut oil reduced pain for arthritis and fibromyalgia patient. Used topically the root oil reduced pain noticeably but not near completely. Better results were had using a rso based topical with the root oil as a base.
In a few blind tests no one could differentiate between topical made with root infused oil and topical made without it.
Yes, I do the same with the same results. Good medicine
ReikoX is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:41 PM #4
CannaRed
Member

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North of the Border
Posts: 401
CannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by I wood View Post
Yes, clean roots chopped and processed the same way you would make butter but with coconut oil reduced pain for arthritis and fibromyalgia patient. Used topically the root oil reduced pain noticeably but not near completely. Better results were had using a rso based topical with the root oil as a base.
In a few blind tests no one could differentiate between topical made with root infused oil and topical made without it.
Oh so you guys are going topical, I was thinking of having him drink it.

The only references I found for the roots was making a tea and it was specifically for gout. I just thought the ancients drank it but maybe they did a soak.

Few questions.-
When you say clean the chopped roots. Are you doing this when they come out the pot fresh? When I harvested these roots a few months ago, I tried to wash out all the soil. Afterwards I wasn't sure if I washed away the medicine- being cannabinoids in trichomes or other compounds that may be water soluble.

Now the roots are dried. Are you using fresh or dried cured roots. You think it makes a difference?

Also if it is cannabinoids that are treating the gout should the concoction be decarbed?

I've read that thc-a is medicinal but not psychoactive. Not sure about the other cannabinoids but maybe it would be better medicine if it had both carboxylated and decarboxylated forms of the cannabinoids present.

I wonder if the Chinese used heat to make the tea, or just long room temp soaks. That may help to answer the decarb question.
CannaRed is offline Quote


Old 11-05-2018, 09:43 PM #5
CannaRed
Member

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North of the Border
Posts: 401
CannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really nice
Another question - you say patients notice no difference betweens added root and non added root. Has anyone tried only root?
CannaRed is offline Quote


Old 11-05-2018, 10:37 PM #6
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,048
ReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaRed View Post
Oh so you guys are going topical, I was thinking of having him drink it.

The only references I found for the roots was making a tea and it was specifically for gout. I just thought the ancients drank it but maybe they did a soak.

Few questions.-
When you say clean the chopped roots. Are you doing this when they come out the pot fresh? When I harvested these roots a few months ago, I tried to wash out all the soil. Afterwards I wasn't sure if I washed away the medicine- being cannabinoids in trichomes or other compounds that may be water soluble.

Now the roots are dried. Are you using fresh or dried cured roots. You think it makes a difference?

Also if it is cannabinoids that are treating the gout should the concoction be decarbed?

I've read that thc-a is medicinal but not psychoactive. Not sure about the other cannabinoids but maybe it would be better medicine if it had both carboxylated and decarboxylated forms of the cannabinoids present.

I wonder if the Chinese used heat to make the tea, or just long room temp soaks. That may help to answer the decarb question.
The roots have some compounds that are difficult for the liver to process. I would not suggest taking it orally, especially if you are immune compromised.

I shake soil from roots, rinse in water, and allow to dry. Then I chopped those up, and put them in a crock pot with coconut oil on low over night. The coconut oil is then used as a base for a topical.

You dont need to decarb the roots, there are not enough cannabinoids to warrent it.
ReikoX is offline Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:17 PM #7
I wood
Member

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 594
I wood has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaRed View Post
Another question - you say patients notice no difference betweens added root and non added root. Has anyone tried only root?
Root oil alone only knocked the edge off the pain, moderately effective.
Balm with thc, cbd and many other essential oils worked much better
So much better that the root oil was discontinued as unnecessary.

I cleaned the roots, chopped and froze to burst the cell walls before extracting into coconut oil with time and heat. The process would have covered anything in question that would have been improved from decarboxylization.

Oral ingestion was never attempted for reasons reikox mentioned.
__________________
Adrift in Hilbert space.
I wood is online now Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:58 PM #8
CannaRed
Member

Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North of the Border
Posts: 401
CannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really niceCannaRed is just really nice
Thank both of you!
Is the relief come after a single application or after many
CannaRed is offline Quote


Old 11-06-2018, 05:33 PM #9
Rocky Mtn Squid
EL CID SQUID

Rocky Mtn Squid's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Very High....in the Rockies
Posts: 1,794
Rocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivorRocky Mtn Squid is a survivor
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by I wood View Post
Root oil alone only knocked the edge off the pain, moderately effective.
Balm with thc, cbd and many other essential oils worked much better
So much better that the root oil was discontinued as unnecessary.

I cleaned the roots, chopped and froze to burst the cell walls before extracting into coconut oil with time and heat. The process would have covered anything in question that would have been improved from decarboxylization.

Oral ingestion was never attempted for reasons reikox mentioned.
I fully agree, a balm with thc & cbd works wonders for pain. I'm fortunate enough to be a member of a non-profit co-op dispensary that sells/offers pain cream to its members for a very reasonable price. Whenever I use it, I'm always amazed with the speed (5 minutes or less) and efficacy of pain relief.

I have bought numerous jars for close friends and family, and they all rant and rave over the stuff. I have tried different pain creams with a combo of thc/cbd, with and without, and find that the thc/cbd pain creams, the one's that offer higher dosage in mg.'s work best.

To further fight off gout, I suggest going to your local health food store and buying some Black Cherry Concentrate in pill form. Don't buy the Black Cherry Concentrate juice, it has sugar and will act as fuel for gout, making it worse.

Moreover, take lots of Vitamin C, 2000 mg.'s or more per day. It helps to flush out excess uric acid and purine buildup.




RMS

Rocky Mtn Squid is offline Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:54 PM #10
I wood
Member

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 594
I wood has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaRed View Post
Thank both of you!
Is the relief come after a single application or after many
For me relief is in minutes and lasts hours, breaking the pain cycle would leave me feeling less pain for a few days after also. I use it on a reconstructed ankle once or twice a week for maintenance or daily if working construction.
__________________
Adrift in Hilbert space.
I wood is online now Quote


1 members found this post helpful.

Post Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:57 PM.




This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.