Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Spider mites at early stage with mid flowering plants

Thread Title Search
Spider mites at early stage with mid flowering plants Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM #1
BHAM!

BHAM! has a spectacular aura aboutBHAM! has a spectacular aura aboutBHAM! has a spectacular aura aboutBHAM! has a spectacular aura aboutBHAM! has a spectacular aura about
BHAM! has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Spider mites at early stage with mid flowering plants

Hello everyone guys!
I always have some problems, lucky me!!
This time i got spider mites
noticed them saturday night in veg box (Veg and bloom box are NEXT to each other but not directly connected by holes or something)
a bit of webbing in a newly rooted clone
sunday i cleaned with 96°C alcohol in low concentrations and water and some ice to keep things cold for flowering box
and did i think mostly nothing
and for veg box i used garlic with pepper in a liter of water, followed by a nice shower and this seemed to resolved the problem in veg box

so i searched better in flower box and found more spider mites

then yesterday i bought and used a bio product, potassium soap with cinnamon,orange and diatomaceous earth, but after just some hours i could see them in a few leaves, the little bastards walking and eating like assholes, damn

i dont want use anything that could end in the finish product
(Like pyrethrin based product, that i have and used but only for outdoor and at least a month before harvest), reading here and there i think i could use product with neem oil, or SMC spider mite control

or go even further into bio/organic and buy predator mites, i think i could get my hands on 2000x Phytoseiulus persimilis, anyone used them?
My indoor space for flower is less than 1 square meter.. and they say: use from 10 to 30 in a single square meter.
So i'll have to use around 1000 on flower and the leftovers in veg and they dont last long? or could i use a few this week, store in fridge and use them a week or 2 later?

Thank you guys
BHAM! is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2018, 06:53 PM #2
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Can you drop your temps and humidity? They breed much slower when the temps are low, and low temps require lower humidity to keep transpiration up.

Personally I'd use an ounce of alcohol in a gallon of water and spray every 3 days for the next 15 days. I'd rather lose some terps and cannabinoids than everything.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:15 AM #3
BHAM!

BHAM! has a spectacular aura aboutBHAM! has a spectacular aura aboutBHAM! has a spectacular aura aboutBHAM! has a spectacular aura aboutBHAM! has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
Can you drop your temps and humidity? They breed much slower when the temps are low, and low temps require lower humidity to keep transpiration up.

Personally I'd use an ounce of alcohol in a gallon of water and spray every 3 days for the next 15 days. I'd rather lose some terps and cannabinoids than everything.
Hi Douglas!
Thank you, i read about the temp so i already tried but i van get to about 19-20 for the moment.. But I raised a bit humidity to slow them more
Which kind of alcohol? The same you could use to extract I guess?
Also, is correct "an ounce is a 1/128 of a gallon" ?
Can't really understand very well the us measurement units, thank you
BHAM! is offline Quote

Old 10-25-2018, 03:06 AM #4
djonkoman

djonkoman is a jewel in the roughdjonkoman is a jewel in the roughdjonkoman is a jewel in the roughdjonkoman is a jewel in the roughdjonkoman is a jewel in the roughdjonkoman is a jewel in the roughdjonkoman is a jewel in the rough
I've used the persimilis mites this year and I've become a fan.
that was outdoor though, so I'm not sure how well they will work for you indoor. for me however they did their job well. it takes a while to see effect, but eventually everytime I saw a leaf with spidermite damage and turned over the leaf to see the mite, I already saw a predator mite somewhere else on the leaf. they don't completely eradicate the spidermites, but keep it at such a low level they're no problem. and without any work(besides releasing mites once, which is still way easier as spraying).

btw, you could use those mites above the recommended dose. you can't really store them. with more per square metre they just act more similar to a synthetic pesticide, they will have quickly found and eaten all the spidermites, start eating eachother and die of starvation. maybe at really too high aplication you'll find corpses of the predator mires in your bud, but other than that I think it's fine. especially since those persimilis mites are already intended to work like that, as a quick remedy against an infestation, not preventative.
djonkoman is offline Quote

Old 10-25-2018, 04:29 AM #5
Vanilla Phoenix
Super Lurker

Vanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivor
No Pest Strips maybe... They definitely work. Depends on if you want to stay away from any non organic stuff or not. You don’t have to spray the plants with anything. Only thing is, you really can’t use them if you live in the same house as your grow space. But the vapor they put off kills them dead within a day or so.
Vanilla Phoenix is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:44 AM #6
Mr. Greengenes
Re-incarnated Senior Member

Mr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud ofMr. Greengenes has much to be proud of
If you're in containers, you can just do water dips every 3-5 days. That will keep them pounded down till harvest and won't mess up terpenes like alcohol.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:21 AM #7
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
An ounce (us or imperial doesn't matter) of ethanol to 4 liters of water.

Mr. Greengenes is correct with water. Cold sprayed water will work as well with repeated applications till harvest. The downside is humdiity, which should be lower with thick flowers in the area.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:22 PM #8
Creeperpark

Creeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the roughCreeperpark is a jewel in the rough
Angry too nice

Sorry you are having bug problems bro! I know that can be so heart breaking! You can't be nice to those bugs! You got to kick their ass's hard and fast or they will run all over you! If you are going to use Phytoseiulus persimilis, they need to be there now! If not, you need to go against your first choice! I seen those freaking bugs tearing gardens up all over the place! The problem with mites are, they have so many different stages of growth that just one kill method won't work. I learned a way to get rid of them and get rid for good. If you are interested I will explain it to you.
Creeperpark is offline Quote

Old 10-25-2018, 04:33 PM #9
BHAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonkoman View Post
I've used the persimilis mites this year and I've become a fan.
that was outdoor though, so I'm not sure how well they will work for you indoor. for me however they did their job well. it takes a while to see effect, but eventually everytime I saw a leaf with spidermite damage and turned over the leaf to see the mite, I already saw a predator mite somewhere else on the leaf. they don't completely eradicate the spidermites, but keep it at such a low level they're no problem. and without any work(besides releasing mites once, which is still way easier as spraying).

btw, you could use those mites above the recommended dose. you can't really store them. with more per square metre they just act more similar to a synthetic pesticide, they will have quickly found and eaten all the spidermites, start eating eachother and die of starvation. maybe at really too high aplication you'll find corpses of the predator mires in your bud, but other than that I think it's fine. especially since those persimilis mites are already intended to work like that, as a quick remedy against an infestation, not preventative.
Thank you a lot!
Nice of you using that!
I find a bit hard and pricey to get those where i am, unfortunately
So no preventative, they only kill bad mites and each other if they dont find them
I'll use them when i'll find them on top colas and webbing
for now i think i'm really slowing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Phoenix View Post
No Pest Strips maybe... They definitely work. Depends on if you want to stay away from any non organic stuff or not. You don’t have to spray the plants with anything. Only thing is, you really can’t use them if you live in the same house as your grow space. But the vapor they put off kills them dead within a day or so.
I read about them but for me is not possible...
And also yes, i'd really like to stay away from non organic and maybe toxic stuff, since this weed is going inside me, smoked baked etc eheheh
Thank you anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greengenes View Post
If you're in containers, you can just do water dips every 3-5 days. That will keep them pounded down till harvest and won't mess up terpenes like alcohol.
So, you mean like showering them inside in the shower or like really put them, pots and plant, into some container filled with water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
An ounce (us or imperial doesn't matter) of ethanol to 4 liters of water.

Mr. Greengenes is correct with water. Cold sprayed water will work as well with repeated applications till harvest. The downside is humdiity, which should be lower with thick flowers in the area.
So like 30mL of alcohol/ethanol to 4 liters of water? that's like less than 1% of concentration

day 1 of seeing mites and some leaf damage i sprayed everything with 0.5L of water and 50mL (That's much more concentration of what you propose) of alcohol and next day used another bio product but because i could see at least some others damned mites i started researching better products

And for now i sprayed very little to the colas, the only part where i could see some mites is the lowest part with leaf and pop corn buds that i was going to use for my concentrates or baking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeperpark View Post
Sorry you are having bug problems bro! I know that can be so heart breaking! You can't be nice to those bugs! You got to kick their ass's hard and fast or they will run all over you! If you are going to use Phytoseiulus persimilis, they need to be there now! If not, you need to go against your first choice! I seen those freaking bugs tearing gardens up all over the place! The problem with mites are, they have so many different stages of growth that just one kill method won't work. I learned a way to get rid of them and get rid for good. If you are interested I will explain it to you.
Yes please! Every method is going help, at this stage of ""infestation"" i can try with more natural/bio product, but if maybe next week they are still here and ruining leaves i'd like to have all my options well written in my personal sheet to choose which one to use next

thank you all guys!!
The only thing i'm really happy is that i dont have the borg eheheh you guys in america are really unlucky to have that!!
BHAM! is offline Quote

Old 10-25-2018, 05:27 PM #10
Douglas.Curtis

Plants do not like alcohol on their roots, please make sure you cover any root zones and keep the solution out of hydro reservoirs. Alcohol in water doesn't evaporate very quickly.

So sorry. The alcohol should be 190 proof, or 95% alcohol. You can actually go a lot higher in concentration, with the downside being more terpenes/cannabinoids being stripped.

With such a low infestation, I believe cold water is your best bet. If the plants are small enough, you can turn them upside down and dunk them. If they're larger, cover the root zone with plastic or something and spray down the entire plant.