Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Buds not putting on weight

Thread Title Search
Buds not putting on weight Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2018, 05:09 PM #1
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of light
Buds not putting on weight

So I have reached the skill level of an organic grower where I can veg in my mix and plants grow lush and vigorous with no deficiencies, and I have only put the healthiest plants into the bloom room.

But in bloom around day 30, I start getting worried that the buds are not filling out properly.
I can't see any deficiencies, the leaves look perky and are praying, other than a tiny amount of tip burn I don't see any nutrient burn, leaves are on the darker side, but not extremely dark where I would think it is an issue.

My nutrient mix is on the richer side as I only feed water during bloom and want to keep it simple for now. Temps are 77-82 lights on (most of the time just under 80), 60-70 lights off. Brand new 1000W hortilux super eye bulbs

Is it possible that my mix is too rich? Is this common or possible with organics? I thought plants take what they need in organics, and this whole nutrient lockout thing doesn't happen in real soil. I figured I rather have a rich soil, as opposed to seeing a def., on day 30, catching it a week later with a top dress or compost tea, by which time too much stress has occurred and growth is affected. As well compost teas actually caused some problems on the last grow as I think there is already enough in my soil mix.

Here they are Day 34 blueberry cheesecake

PaulieWaulie is offline Quote

Old 10-22-2018, 05:12 PM #2
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of light
Here is another strain on Day 40 it is Scotts OG x Agent Orange

The tops seem to go lime green

Old 10-22-2018, 05:13 PM #3
PaulieWaulie

here is my soil mix.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 PM #4
PaulieWaulie

Here are the BBCH before flip.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:22 PM #5
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Hum... I'm an outdoor grower and the only time I see growth like that is when I plant in corn north/south. East/West they produce and fatten up, otherwise they foxtail like shit and never fatten up.

I only plant in areas where the farmer missed a couple rows. I chock it up to not enough direct light. But that shouldn't be your issue.

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

~

Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:38 PM #6
PaulieWaulie

Yes, brand new bulb, 1000W over a 4x4 area, and some of these are directly under the light. 24" from bulb.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:46 PM #7
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
I don't know... but when I baby my shit, it rarely goes well for me. So my instincts tell me your mix is too complicated.

When I see leaves like that outside I think low N. Indoor either low N or light bleaching. But even that shouldn't affect bud weight.

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

~

Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

Old 10-22-2018, 06:39 PM #8
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieWaulie View Post
here is my soil mix.

View Image
I've got a theory but let me gather some information

Amendments- Is this per container?

How much time between pruning those lowers and flip to flower?
bsgospel is offline Quote

Old 10-22-2018, 06:46 PM #9
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
And also, how long do you veg total?
bsgospel is offline Quote

Old 10-22-2018, 07:41 PM #10
Ratzilla

Ratzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really nice
You are correct PaulieWaulie about the plant being in charge.
Meaning they decide what they want to uptake by what exudes it sends to the roots.
Myself i prefer my medium to be light in amendments (mix in globally) and leave what i call buried treasures featuring P & K on the bottom of my flowering pots.
My vegetative pots are done this same way only it features higher N.
I think one of the important things to remember is that mychorrizal fungi is responsible for much of the uptake of phosphorus.
Do you know that liquid P only retards the growth of the fungi, so no liquids !
Also fertilizer with high ratio of P also retards this growth.
I try and not use any fertilizer that has a higher ratio of P then a 8 during flowering.

Being that P and K are the elements most needed for flowering but I do not change my vegetative elements until after the stretch is over ,approximately 2.5-3 weeks after clock is set back for the plants still need much N to build the mass that is needed for bud development.
I'll do this with top dressing of N my favorite is 10-2-1 bat guano, I mix it with some worm castings, the guano's are readily available for 10-12 days.
When I make teas i do it for the beastie's that they bring not so much a feeding.
A good care taker provides what the plant wants at the right time but always give the plant the choice if it wants to uptake it or not.
By leaving a table spoon or 3-4 of P & K here or there on the bottom of your containers instead of mix in globally is the key factor.
Hoping for you to reach that next level!
RatZilla
Ratzilla is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.