What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landrace Grows & Seed Reproductions

Land

Kumaoni Seed Reproduction

Kumaoni Seed Reproduction

Kumaoni
Many different genotypes of this variety. The best one I had was the most branched and had best terpene and trichome production. Aromas were citral fresh and the effect of finished product was quite uplifting and cheerful.

Kumaoni in the middle buckets.

Stretching during preflower

Seeded flowers

Land

Kerala Seed Reproduction

Kerala Seed Reproduction

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kerala
Relatively stable but still had some different phenotypes. Aromas were peppery and the effect of finished product was energizing.

Pre flower.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Full flower.[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Seeded flowers of Kerala in left three pots
[/FONT]

djimb

Veteran
Three top notch varieties! They look great! Is your Malawi Gold a clone or a seed line? Either way, it's gorgeous.

djimb

Veteran
Have you considered selfing it or making a back cross? I know there are at least a handful of folks around here working with varieties of Malawi Gold who might be willing to contribute to that kind of a project. There was a thread a while ago talking about a repro of Afropips MG that was going to be made available on Seedbay, though it never did seem to come to a conclusion.

I just know I would want to have some kind of a backup for such a spectacular plant.

Can't wait to see how things progress!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Non-Hermi, stable landrace of genetics you want to keep? I agree with djimb, you should self it and make S1 seeds. :) This way you'll have the ability to find something close, just as good, or even better while also giving you a back up in case of disaster.
:tiphat:

djimb

Veteran
I should clarify that while there's a fair amount of seed exchange that happens between people who happen to be members here, the TOU pretty well forbid conducting that kind of business on the forums. I imagine it's a liability for Gypsy, as some countries/states/provinces consider even possessing seeds illegal. There are some great encrypted email services out there that should serve your needs, though.

Land

Understood, I have made seeds using a male MG i selected from SOA but haven't been able to back corss to the mother yet. It's funny you mention in case of a disaster though... it doesn't look like the cuttings I took throughout this year of the MG are taking. I also tried digging up two of the smaller plants and re-vegging them but its not really working. The weather was terrible this year. We'll have to see how it plays out wish me luck.

Land

I should note that the original Malawi Gold mother, the one in the photos is from SOA in 2015 and was the only one to germinate of a 12 pack due to a mistake that was unfortunately due to a need for me to travel for work with late notice and having left the seeds to dry up while germinating. The one seed that survived was the slowest to germinate and it was excellent and is the one I kept. Since 2015 I have ordered seeds a couple time from SOA of the MG but the genetics have been inferior and contaminated with other genetics as compared to the one mother I have had going since the seed pack I bought in 2015. My point is, SOA MG is no contaminated genetics not real Malawi Gold. I just think I got lucky with that one mother I found in 2015.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Argh! Best of luck.

If you have any cloneable material, I strongly recommend a bubble or aerocloner to start the roots. Especially with dodgy health. ;)

djimb

Veteran
I hope your cuttings and reveg attempts work out! One thing to keep in mind is that It's almost never too late to take cuttings, especially with long flowering NLDs.

I got some lower branch Durban Poison cuttings in October some years back. They were just buds on sticks with a few small leaves. It took a long time, but they eventually rooted and reveged over the winter, ready to start flowering the following spring.

Also, while bubble cloners do seem to work exceptionally well in most cases, I've had near 100% success with just a glass of water. It's a little slower than other methods i've usrd, but it's near foolproof. I usually replace the water every day or two to ensure there's a fair amount of oxygen available. For me, it seems like the most important factor in getting roots is temperature. Right around 78-80f is the sweet spot.

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to try a few different methods just to cover your bases.

What was the male Malawi like? I've seen that SOA is generally pretty hit or miss, with a lot of BLD contamination in the lines, but it seems like the rare good plants are really good, like your lady.

Best luck!

Land

Thanks everyone for all the good vibes. I will try putting a couple branches in a glass of water since I haven't tried that yet. The clones look good so far, I've got them in rapid rooters in a clone tray on a heating mat with the plastic dome cover just barely cracked on the two vents.

The male I got from SOA was the strongest of the 12 pack, it had the best stem rub smell, sweet not too skunky and the leaves were similar to the mother Malawi but definitely had broader leaflets. This male was also took on a solid Xmas tree branching growth character with short internodes during early veg and a sturdy root system. The male was definitely not pure Malawi but had enough of the traits that I figured I could pick out the best males each time and back cross to the mother Malawi.

I like the suggestions about making S1's with the Malawi Gold and then also to start searching for a true Malawi Gold seed line to find a pure male and other females to make some Malawi Gold seeds.

Cheers!

Land

Pakistan Chitral Seed Reproduction

Pakistan Chitral Seed Reproduction

Pakistan Chitral from TRSC, I did this reproduction a couple years ago. These plants had gassy, rubbery madarin type aromas in flower with a great amount of resin. Fairly good resistance to fungus. They were started late to keep them small and keep the number of seeds down so the branching was minimal.

Early Flower

Late Flower

Hairs are a light indigo color on the smallest and most fruity smelling phenotype.

Cheers!

White Beard

Speaking of landraces, do we actually have much study done on the development of self-seeding wild populations of cannabis over time?

Yes, fieldwork, but really, wouldn’t that tell us things we could use in this, or are we greasing the groove, seed by seed?

Could just be me, but I suspect there’s a lot more to learn about cannabis than we’ve guessed yet.

Land

Nanda Devi Seed Reproduction

Nanda Devi Seed Reproduction

Nanda Devi from TRSC - This run of landrace plants started from 70 seeds and with a very poor germination rate I got 5 females and I kept 4 out of 6 males. Most of the females shared a fruity hashy aroma haowever the two best were absolutely outstanding. The second best was the shortest of the females and had a malty fruity aroma with good resin. The very best female shot a branch out randomly during veg so it had a lower branch that none of the others had. It also had the best smell, green laffy taffy candy amazing smell way different from the rest. All of the plants had the typical Himalayan tall growth stretchy growth with the exception of the shortest one. The green laffy taffy pheno smells amazing while drying.

Day 17 flowering females

Day 17 flowering males

Day 21 flower right before pollination

Day 55 flower last 3 plants including the best two (trained to the left)

Resin on harvest day 61 malty fruity short pheno

Cheers!