Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Does anyone live in a 'log' home?

Thread Title Search
Does anyone live in a 'log' home? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2018, 11:08 PM #1
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Does anyone live in a 'log' home?

I am getting ready to move and I'm looking at new houses. One of the styles that intrigues me is the log home style. Pretty cool inside. Not sure if I would get tired of all wood everything. LOL Walls, floor, ceilings. LOL

I am old and retired and definitely don't want a lot of maintenance.

Anyone live in one of these and shoot some of the upsides and downsides?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:12 PM #2
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
I've been in one for weekend once and they are very nice.

No walking on the floor with muddy shoes though or you'll ruin the shine.

Bunny slippers, socks or barefeet only.

Working on Something Sneaky

Legalization may kill black markets. Government tyranny creates them.
troutman is offline Quote

Old 09-14-2018, 12:02 AM #3
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Upsides are the insulating factor of logs, awesome tonal characteristics, very warm and inviting.

Down sides I know of are they need refinishing every 3-5 years, strip/stain/re-chinked. New homes (new logs) spend a few years cracking and popping without warning, sometimes requiring additional chinking to seal up the gap. Use a good company known for quality work, since the cruddier the job the more damage your home will take before the next re-finishing.

They're not lumber with drywall, so making modifications is a bit different. I'm sure actual owners have a much longer list of ups and downs, I simply worked on re-finishing them for about 6 months total.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 09-14-2018, 01:09 AM #4
Stoner4Life
Medicinal Advocate

Stoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivor

I've owned one since '95, don't go log if it gets real cold where you are.

a 10" log at it's thickest point (10" obviously) has an R-value of 10..... but where each log sets upon the next one is usually a 3" seat, with an R-value of 3. So actually each log has a very varied R-value as it goes from narrowest seat to its thickest part.

I'd assume that you'd like a fireplace, great option for heating but don't build it to share or be part of an exterior wall, or a good portion of the btu's it generates will be lost to the outdoors; build it to be 100% inside and the stone will shed all of its btu's inside instead.

Do you need 2 stories? heat rises and will be lost to the downstairs area, large slow ceiling fans can push some of it back down. My vaulted ceiling is 14' high and not well insulated for winter use, however I have an area toward the back of my home w/a 7.5' high ceiling, great for holding the heat. Look at some ranch style log designs, keep your heat closer to you.

In short, log homes suck for insulating quality unless you're covering the interior walls w/insulation & sheetrock YECH! OR on the exterior you go with 3 feet or so of either real or cultured stone running around the perimeter, which again does not have any significant R-value.

get used to Terry Redlin prints.......

best of luck.
Stoner4Life is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:05 AM #5
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Thanks a ton, bud. That's great info. I live in the midwest so the weather is super cold here almost half of the year.

Probably not something I would do but the look is very appealing to me and the wife also. Which is very rare in our life. LOL

Thanks again.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:19 AM #6
armedoldhippy

armedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivor
Red face

there is synthetic chinking material i have read about that they now guarantee for the life of the structure. they aint GIVING it away though...

Old 09-14-2018, 03:33 AM #7
Muleskinner

Muleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really niceMuleskinner is just really nice
There are tons of these in Northern New England, I've stayed in a few and I really like them. Did not seem cold to me. I've always liked the natural wood look.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:46 AM #8
Stoner4Life
Medicinal Advocate

Stoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivorStoner4Life is a survivor

I hope you didn't think I meant 3 foot thick rock running the perimeter, just 3 foot high, starting your logs from there up, then inside you can use those 3 feet for more conventional insulated construction.

Stoner4Life is online now Quote

Old 09-14-2018, 04:38 PM #9
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Interesting about the insulating factor being low. I only worked on them. lol You get a deeper understanding by living in a structure for sure.

They certainly are beautiful homes when properly built and cared for.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 09-14-2018, 05:23 PM #10
Bud Green
I dig dirt

Bud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivor
Every log house I've seen, (even the nice, well constructed ones)
always seem to have more bugs (ants, spiders, beetles) getting into them...

Isn't Mother Nature grand !
Bud Green is offline Quote