What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Companies are advertising "Rapid Onset" with their edibles. Do you know how?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Companies are advertising "Rapid Onset" with their edibles. Do you know how?

I was recently reading about the release of Two Root Cannabis Beer in Las Vegas and I noticed they claim.... "Two Roots offers consumers a responsibly formulated (micro- dosed) beverage that emulates the rapid onset of alcohol as well as its rapid dissipation from the body.".

I was reviewing claims from 1906. a popular candy maker who claims. "Using advanced pharmacological techniques, 1906’s products combine rapid onset and mild dosage allowing you to create and manage your own experience according to your lifestyle.".

The Two Roots web site further claimed the effect could be felt in as little as 15 minutes and wears off in a few hours.

Now, we are not talking sublingual application here where the saliva and mouth take the task. This is "beer" and chocolate. Some release might happen during the chewing process but once it is swallowed, the remainder (actually most) of the edible will have to be processed through the lengthy gastrointestinal track before it is absorbed into the bloodstream. This does not usually happen in 15 minutes, More like an hour or 2.

I can understand tincture and other saliva dosing being faster but.... liquid/beer?

They must be doing something special.

Does anyone have any idea how they get the early onset trait into their edibles

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I don't know good buddy. I drink beer because I enjoy beer,not to get drunk! Getting drunk is a side effect.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've seen people using ultrasonic to turn extract oil into micro particles. The absorption rate is supposed to be extremely quick and effective.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DMSO!

probably not but... it's a possibility... (not for food stuffs though)

Doesn't lecithin increase absorpsion rates?
And there's another product, I believe, that increases the speed of onset...
Maybe some terps like the Mango deal...

Gry

Would think Doug is on it.

I imagine that it takes advantage of a combination sublingual, and buccal effects with an ability to be absorbed everywhere more quickly.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I have also seen this rapid onset mentioned recently, and I thought that is actually quite a gamechanger, having to wait 2 hours for something to kick in, and only then can you decided to take more if needed, and then that takes another 2 hours to peak, so thats 4 hours total to reach desired state. And then from there your high for another 12 hours! So for most consumers this would be a game changer. Have a drink, feel it 20 mins later, 3 hours later it is wearing off and you can function again.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've seen people using ultrasonic to turn extract oil into micro particles. The absorption rate is supposed to be extremely quick and effective.

Do you happen to have a link for this tech?
It is interesting and I think I've got an ultrasonic cleaning device, if that will work.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have also seen this rapid onset mentioned recently, and I thought that is actually quite a gamechanger, having to wait 2 hours for something to kick in, and only then can you decided to take more if needed, and then that takes another 2 hours to peak, so thats 4 hours total to reach desired state. And then from there your high for another 12 hours! So for most consumers this would be a game changer. Have a drink, feel it 20 mins later, 3 hours later it is wearing off and you can function again.
I guess this all depends on whether you are doing a social event or medicating. Bold text, not true!

I make my own canna and mari pills: canna=liquid; mari=dry herbs (decarbed)) 30 to 45 min to take effect, peeking 2hrs later, wane from hour 4 to 6. Where are you getting this 12 hr from? I re medicate between 5-6 hrs after 1st pill. 2 day time pills, one night time (1 hr prior to bed)

ETA: The aforementioned timeline is pretty much a general guideline. Some strains take off slightly quicker and may peak a little longer. All that being said, you are going on a 4-5 hr ride.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
DMSO!

probably not but... it's a possibility... (not for food stuffs though)

Doesn't lecithin increase absorpsion rates?
And there's another product, I believe, that increases the speed of onset...
Maybe some terps like the Mango deal...
Yes it does :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A lot of people question it. I am not sure what to think, I don't believe it has been studied.

Certainly added an undesireable flavour to some honey I made a bit ago.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
@Switch... everyone is different and edibles can be different for the same person depending on what he has had to eat that day.

I do a lot of edibles and I have it down pretty good but still trying to improve. One thing I have found (and proved it again last night) is that if you 'under decarb' your pot, it will take longer to affect you. I'm not sure why but I have found it to be true in test after test.

For my personal use, my dose is about 1000mg (yeah, I know that's 100x the normal dose. I have tolerance issues). Last night I made some coconut oil using my sous vide device. I put 1/2 ounce of buds it in a vacuum for 1:30 to decarb it as instructed on Sousweed.com and then extracted in 1/2 cup of coconut oil for 3:30. I made a batch of Coco-Krispies treats and ate about 3/4 of them. Apparently the 1:30 was not enough or I had no food in my stomach but it took almost 4 hours to get off. Then, the effect lasted 3 or 4 hours which is typical for me and then wore off. Usually, I fall asleep after that but I wasn't really tired. Just not high any more.

That was a very low dose and for me to feel that little is unusual. But, like I said, it all depends on the person and what his diet has been that day. I often take 3 grams of rosin with some coconut oil and feel absolutely nothing.

I am not a tincture person because I need to drink half a bottle and that shit is nasty tasting. Tincture is generally fast onset because it is taken in through the mouth pores and does not have to make that long journey through the GI tract.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
A lot of people question it. I am not sure what to think, I don't believe it has been studied.

Certainly added an undesireable flavour to some honey I made a bit ago.

I use a lot of lecithin and 2 things.... 1, use the liquid stuff. It works so much better. And, 2, use as much as you can without it adding taste to your edible.

I am somewhat of a chef and I use lecithin in many things. It helps eggs, flour and milk homogenize to make cake taste creamy smooth.

And.... it's good for you.

If you could taste it, you used too much.

Plus, I never use soy lecithin. Always sunflower lecithin.

X

xavier7995

I always assumed that it just meant it had the lecithin in it. Does a claim like that need to be substantiated somehow? It seems like generic marketing lingo to me "new and improved."

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
As far as the "beer" alcohol fortifies with cannabis (aka tincture) is more bioavailable. FWIW...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
@Switch... everyone is different and edibles can be different for the same person depending on what he has had to eat that day.

I do a lot of edibles and I have it down pretty good but still trying to improve. One thing I have found (and proved it again last night) is that if you 'under decarb' your pot, it will take longer to affect you. I'm not sure why but I have found it to be true in test after test.

For my personal use, my dose is about 1000mg (yeah, I know that's 100x the normal dose. I have tolerance issues). Last night I made some coconut oil using my sous vide device. I put 1/2 ounce of buds it in a vacuum for 1:30 to decarb it as instructed on Sousweed.com and then extracted in 1/2 cup of coconut oil for 3:30. I made a batch of Coco-Krispies treats and ate about 3/4 of them. Apparently the 1:30 was not enough or I had no food in my stomach but it took almost 4 hours to get off. Then, the effect lasted 3 or 4 hours which is typical for me and then wore off. Usually, I fall asleep after that but I wasn't really tired. Just not high any more.

That was a very low dose and for me to feel that little is unusual. But, like I said, it all depends on the person and what his diet has been that day. I often take 3 grams of rosin with some coconut oil and feel absolutely nothing.

I am not a tincture person because I need to drink half a bottle and that shit is nasty tasting. Tincture is generally fast onset because it is taken in through the mouth pores and does not have to make that long journey through the GI tract.

Understood! :) Yes tolerance varies amongst us. Wouldn't even think of 1000mg dose. 40mg is plenty for me. AAMOF I make my doses @ 15/30mg (liquid) and 15-20mg for dry herb. (if I want more, I just take an extra cap). Like you said the standard recommended dose is 10-15mg. At those levels, I am in full control e.g no surprises!

For recreational use by all means, you want to feel it NOW, and you quit when you had enough. Medicine start lower and find your sweet spot. One taking normal medication, there is a waiting period for it do take effect, unless your mainlining!

That being said, my pills are indeed designed for me. Edibles are a different kettle of fish as they are food (that is also why they recommend to spike 'em with lecithin).

Ringodoggie

Premium user
As far as the "beer" alcohol fortifies with cannabis (aka tincture) is more bioavailable. FWIW...

There is no alcohol in the cannabis 'beer'. They 'overheat' it like Kingsbury Brew and O'Doole's to evap out the remaining alcohol. Then, they send it to their cannabis facility where the 'beer' is infused with a 'water based' cannabis extract.

That's kind of another question I have. How are they making a water based cannabis extract. Glycerin might work but it's not a great product to use for extract (not real efficient) and it's going to add a lot of taste to the 'beer'.

Water based cannabis 'oil'. ?????? That like making an Italian salad dressing that doesn't separate. LOL

With the billions of dollars riding on cannabis, we will be in an entirely new world in a couple decades. Too bad I'll be gone by then.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
They must be doing something special.
Does anyone have any idea how they get the early onset trait into their edibles

THC acetate, it crosses the blood brain barrier faster.
same chemical reaction performed on THC as the one that turns morphine to heroin.

thread about how here: THC Acetate

I've been wondering when we would see this hit the legal market, I'll bet lots of it gets added to vape pens to goose the effects as a "secret" sauce.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use a lot of lecithin and 2 things.... 1, use the liquid stuff. It works so much better. And, 2, use as much as you can without it adding taste to your edible.

I am somewhat of a chef and I use lecithin in many things. It helps eggs, flour and milk homogenize to make cake taste creamy smooth.

And.... it's good for you.

If you could taste it, you used too much.

Plus, I never use soy lecithin. Always sunflower lecithin.

Ah maybe I will try sunflower.

It was 30g liquid soy lecithin to 1000g honey. Straight honey/oil made a poor mix and I didn't find the 30g lecithin did too much benefit for homogenizing. Creamed honey is likely the better route but I've yet to try it.