Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2018, 05:54 AM #1
JetLife175

JetLife175 is just really niceJetLife175 is just really niceJetLife175 is just really niceJetLife175 is just really niceJetLife175 is just really niceJetLife175 is just really niceJetLife175 is just really niceJetLife175 is just really niceJetLife175 is just really nice
How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

Was having this conversation with a close friend and wanted some more opinions.

Is there anything out there that surpasses the Chems, OGs, Sours and other highly regarded cuttings of the 90s and early 2000s out these days? I’m quite aware most of the popular varieties are descendants of previously mentioned cuttings but have they really been improved upon? The only 3 significant game changing strains I can think of since that era is Cookies, StarDawg, and Glue. Maybe throw in Alien Tech as well. Any others? What’s your opinion?
JetLife175 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:23 AM #2
chris_martinx

chris_martinx will become famous soon enough
Woah, what are all these? I jumped into the weed bandwagon pretty late and I guess it's time to do some research about the legendary strains.
chris_martinx is offline Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 06:25 AM #3
theJointedOne

theJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant futuretheJointedOne has a brilliant future
This might get scoffed at but blue dream clone was game changing, from a growers perspective.

Stuff nowadays is so much short term hype, and when you add the number of darn cuttings that are being passed around grows more and more by the month..stuff just doesnt have the ability to impact the market like back in the day...

And is it me or is potency not a factor much anymore, just dull highs..I like the pure og's for the high, northern lights for the high, white widow had a nice high, super silver haze...you get the idea..nowadays "dolato espresso double rainbow juice power grape slurpee candy bar" is the new hype..its a poly poly poly poly squared hybrid

theJointedOne is offline Quote

12 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:26 AM #4
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
I'd smoke sweet skunk over any of this hype garbage starting with Kizookies famalam tripe and right on into todays bullshit Punchsido malarkey.
Mikell is online now Quote

24 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:29 AM #5
insomniac_AU

insomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud of
I've wondered this myself. I smoked some amazing cannabis in the mid 90s. That's my memory anyway. My feeling is it would give most things today a run for it's money. Then again I might have been less tolerant then and remembering through rose coloured glasses.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:37 AM #6
Mate Dave
Propagator

Mate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud ofMate Dave has much to be proud of
New stuff is bred by folks with baseborn genetics. lucky to find a good phenotype let alone no variance on the genotype. The high THC stuff bred back in the day was the best it got.

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:39 AM #7
Cannabologist

Cannabologist is a jewel in the roughCannabologist is a jewel in the roughCannabologist is a jewel in the roughCannabologist is a jewel in the roughCannabologist is a jewel in the roughCannabologist is a jewel in the roughCannabologist is a jewel in the rough
Mmmm... Still chasing some of those highs.

The kids will never know...

Oh wait... There are some 30+ year old clones
Nor heed the rumble of a distant drum!
Cannabologist is offline Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 AM #8
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to all
I dunno I loved the old Chem, OG, Sour...especially the OG(SFV). Even the Blueberrys late 90s. They got these big THC% readings but these strains from 15yrs or so ago were good. I'm not saying anything like the lime green skunk from the late 80s and early 90s. I guess you can state a claim for a lot of these hyped strains

I'm making a comeback !!!!

WV's headin' outdoors 2018 grow

REAL GORILLA SEEDS 9 Strains !!!

Seedsman Fem Collection !!!

Female Seeds Critical Sour & Chem OG !!!

KC Brains Cristal Limit (fem)

Outdoor grow threads & album pics coming soon !!!!!

realgorillaclothing.com

WVs Outdoor Critical/Chem grow !!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=354027

WVs Outdoor RealGorilla strains
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355383
wvkindbud38 is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 AM #9
jaypopnseeds

jaypopnseeds has a spectacular aura aboutjaypopnseeds has a spectacular aura aboutjaypopnseeds has a spectacular aura about
I’m a huge fan of OGs and Chems. IMO, they’re the best out there and has been for a very long time. Personally though, I think a lot of 90s weed is overrated and people have rose colored glasses when they talk about it. Skunk, widow, Bubblegum, etc, I had a lot of the big time 90s strains and they were good. But they wouldn’t blow today’s stuff out of the water or anything. People like to talk about how much better movies/tv/sports used to be back in their day, well they like to do the same with weed. Except for Chem and OG, those are truly exceptional.

Of the newer stuff, really only one thing comes close, and that’s cookies. It took a while, but I have to admit that GSC is the real deal. It smells and tastes great and has an amazing high. It’s the only thing made in the last 20 years that can stack up with OG or Chem. Cross them together, and it’s particularly amazing.
jaypopnseeds is online now Quote

Old 08-14-2018, 09:51 AM #10
topheavy420

topheavy420 is just really nicetopheavy420 is just really nicetopheavy420 is just really nicetopheavy420 is just really nicetopheavy420 is just really nicetopheavy420 is just really nicetopheavy420 is just really nicetopheavy420 is just really nicetopheavy420 is just really nicetopheavy420 is just really nice
So much is put into looks, bag a peal and right now specific terps (strawberry, banna, ect) that potency is a second thought...which is all great and everything...
Good thing there is a resurgence of older more potency orientated varieties going on.

More of us need to be preservation oriented saving these away in our fridges
topheavy420 is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.