What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Long flowering Sativas? Where are they?

H

hard rain

Really long flowering sativa's seem near impossible to find?

Seed banks are all selecting shorter flowering varieties. Even my favourite, Ace, seems to select plants that have reduced flowering times. Why does this matter? I believe that the magic effects come from the really long flowering plants (20+ weeks). Te be fair to Ace, I am currently growing purple haze which I am just about to chop at 24 weeks. However most of the other Ace varieties I am interested in all seem to have been selected for reduced flowering times.

I just wish there would be some longer flowering varieties available. Surely I can't be the only one to think this way? I understand the bigest market is for short flowering indoor varieties for pimple faced kids who can't think further than 3 months ahead. Personally I am happy growing a 25 week plant that needs another 25 week cure, if in the end I get something really outstanding.

With legalization looking like a real possibility worldwide, small growers will most likely survive by having boutique varieties. There must be a market for this sort of thing, however small.

Rant over.

thejact55

The real seed company.
Underground seed collective
Tropical seeds
Ace n cbg
A few others im sure.
Most importantly, alot of people like you and I sitting on stash's of authentic pure long flowering seed.

Yes, its getting tough, its not trending well. Its literally up to us to preserve. Make hella seeds with what you have and find.

W

Water-

why do you want the plants to flower longer.
isn't that an adaption to climate?
how do you feel it changes things?

djimb

Veteran
French touch has a couple varieties of Zamal that are supposed to go 20+ weeks.

Real Gorilla Seeds have old stock gypsy nirvana laos and khmer gold, but they're pretty old by now.

There are a few outlets for Bodhi's Nierika Seed Trust, which makes Acapulco Gold available as freebies.

Maybe also look into the Derg Corra collective. I know they have a Chocolate Thai f5 and a slew of other landraces, though many if them are more wld strains.

And I'll agree with Jact that the best way to get a hold of something really special is by making friends with other folks with similar interests.

therevverend

Veteran
I swear these type of threads pop up every couple weeks. There was one complaining about the lack of Thai strains a couple weeks ago.

It's funny how the guy says, I know about Ace's strains I'd like something different. But still everyone chimes in, Cannabiogen and Ace immediately. What a bunch of stoners. And it shows how Ace owns the sativa specialty market.

It's inevitable that these strains are rare, even in a sane world without global trade and law enforcement forcing people to grow short flowering strains most people would go for stuff that takes 24 weeks to finish.

It doesn't help that most growers in equatorial zones probably don't have access to the internet or market seeds globally. These areas tend to be undeveloped with terrible economies. I'm sure there's dudes in central Africa, Columbia, Brazil, Kerala, SE Asia, who'd love to sell some seeds. Only way to get them is to go there.

I understand that shorter flowering strains have made their way into many of these areas but I'm guessing the closer you get to the equator the more useless they become. Most strains would autoflower. Get a foot high and no higher.

The equator is so humid, once they auto flowered they'd immediately rot. Equatorial strains have that loose leafy structure for a reason.

To me it's questionable why someone at the equator would want a strain from somewhere else, except to make hybrids. And why someone far from the equator would want an equatorial strain except as a novelty.

That said I understand why you want the real 24 week strains and not the shorter flowering re-creations and hybrids offered by the popular companies online. For the reasons above these strains are great-I would have never grown Thai or Malawi if it wasn't for a tamed, 12 week version someone took a lot of time and energy to breed and develop.

But it's not the same thing as a true unpredictable, possibly hermaphroditic, 20 weeks plus flowering landrace. The Real Seed company usually has a couple, the dude above who mentions French Touch seeds, old Gypsy stuff, Derg Cora collective may be heading you in the right direction.

I know if you dig you may find some more. Snow High Seeds is overpriced but they have some long flowering stuff. They have a Panama Red x Congolese listed at 16-24 weeks flowering. For $198! Holy shit that's awful. Pay to play I guess.

Vietnamese Laughing Grass, Lambsbread Haze..Holy fuck $198 for the LambHaze and I look closer and it's only 5 seeds!! I was about to say why don't people talk more about this company, I'm curious if they're good or bad. But damn they better be fucking good or else they're crazy scammers. Almost have to be good at those prices.

But there is stuff out there is you know where to look. The website ********** has a huge database of seed companies. Do a search for there for Thai or whatever and you'll be headed in the right direction.

islandgrower721

Mr nice

Mr nice

Mr nice has walkabout which is an open pollination of their sativas . And they have the doors which is 75%haze. Longer flowering times to be expected 12 weeks +

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I'm seeing much better prices for Snow High Seeds on 'a site I can't mention', like 10 Lambsbread X Original Haze seeds for $53.14US. But they're all sold out right now.

therevverend

Veteran
Good question I didn't post a link just the blah blah.com. It may even be automatic, it may censor blah blah be funny if it does. Maybe all you have to do is write .com.
Think it's silly, ********** isn't selling anything it's just a huge data base of breeders and their seed lineages. Probably somewhere in the terms and conditions I lost my copy at some point. Part of the job of being a moderator and I understand they have to cover their asses. Very important these days, especially in a grey area like cannabis.

therevverend

Veteran
Yeah see it automatically censors certain words. If I say I am a seed finder will it censor that? ********** is apparently right out..
(edit) Yep that's it. Without the space it cues the auto censor. Because it's not a real word. Seed finder with the space are two common words.
Credit to IC that's nice. A lot of auto censor programs are invasive and crappy-they'd try to remove the words seed and finder. How often is that going to mess up a conversation. Now I want to find some more.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Yeah see it automatically censors certain words. If I say I am a seed finder will it censor that? ********** is apparently right out..
(edit) Yep that's it. Without the space it cues the auto censor. Because it's not a real word. Seed finder with the space are two common words.
Credit to IC that's nice. A lot of auto censor programs are invasive and crappy-they'd try to remove the words seed and finder. How often is that going to mess up a conversation. Now I want to find some more.

I believe -annies spelt with an ‘s’ gets censored too....

P

Pinnate

******ship is wrong! Down with ******ship!

Last edited:

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Really long flowering sativa's seem near impossible to find?

Seed banks are all selecting shorter flowering varieties. Even my favourite, Ace, seems to select plants that have reduced flowering times. Why does this matter? I believe that the magic effects come from the really long flowering plants (20+ weeks). Te be fair to Ace, I am currently growing purple haze which I am just about to chop at 24 weeks. However most of the other Ace varieties I am interested in all seem to have been selected for reduced flowering times.

I just wish there would be some longer flowering varieties available. Surely I can't be the only one to think this way? I understand the bigest market is for short flowering indoor varieties for pimple faced kids who can't think further than 3 months ahead. Personally I am happy growing a 25 week plant that needs another 25 week cure, if in the end I get something really outstanding.

With legalization looking like a real possibility worldwide, small growers will most likely survive by having boutique varieties. There must be a market for this sort of thing, however small.

Rant over.

well go to Real Seed Company ...
https://therealseedcompany.com
there you have some rar originals...
also others sell landraces too like
https://www.frenchtouchseeds.com/shop/seeds/landrace.html
Tropical Seed co
Seeds of Africa
Malberry
etc.... there are much more available as many think...
use your search engine... ;-)
M.:tiphat: