What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strains that don't branch?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Donkey dick comes to mind, there are other strains that grow in the same pattern. Often pure or very indica dom strains, can have a pheno like that. But for strains I can only recall Donkey Dick. I think it was Sensi who made it, but no idea if it's something thats around any more.

P

Pinnate

Back in the day ('70s) I graded plant desirability by their branching habits!

Being bagseed, one didn't quite know what to expect, but long lateral branching was a trait I always welcomed as it signalled potency...

Plants with horizontal branching were sure-to-be keepers!

But then, as now, it was all about potent sativas...

X

xavier7995

Couldnt you train just about anything to grow that way? Just trim off the branches so it only grows up. I had the idea to grow a bunch of huge colas sog style but it didnt work like i hoped.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
u have a clone called icecream that grows like that, it makes 1 central cola, specially if you don't veg it long. it doesn't stretch much, so it doesn't end up yielding very much compared to the plants which have multiple colas.

oti$

Sour bubble from bog grows this way for the most part as does most of his strains which tend to be stout and difficult to coax branches out of. I just grew some dour dub× suge's pure kush by cannarado that was very difficult to get to branch out... which conflicts with my personal growing style. So, as stated above, indicas are what you would look to for this type of plant. BOG has some nice flavors with strong narcotic effect. I'd start there. The more sativa influence, the less likely you will be to find this kind of plant. Good luck!

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
There was a training technique that's not very popular anymore called lollypopping where you trim off side branches in veg to encourage single cola growth. It was popular with sea of green growers but now because of legal limitations most ppl want to grow less plants larger rather than more smaller ones.

The ones I have personally grown that would work well are chronic, sweet tooth, grapefruit and probably the best of all was a strain called wappa by paradise seeds.

What you need to look for is older dutch, indica dominant cash cropping strains.

I actually hate those type of strains because a large central bud has a greater tendency to rot when things get humid.

I think you mean pruning. Lollipopping is where you remove the lower growth on individual branches to encourage the top buds to grow larger than if the stuff down low was left on. Pruning, is removing whole branches to achive the desired growth pattern.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Couldnt you train just about anything to grow that way? Just trim off the branches so it only grows up. I had the idea to grow a bunch of huge colas sog style but it didnt work like i hoped.

Or grow plants in tight quarters...
Branching will be minimal if the lower canopy doesn’t have enough light getting to them.

I start my seed in tight quarters & grow them to about 24-36 inches then space them out to allow branches to take off.

I’ve seen DJ Shorts Flo grow poles in the wide open but nothing else. I’m pretty sure it was a specific cut though.

troutman

Seed Whore
Flowering early helps make single cola plants from what I've read.

i.e.

A clone flowered immediately will be more single cola than a clone flowered after a few weeks of vegetative growth.

Going 12/12 from seed also promotes less branching I think.

therevverend

Veteran
There was a strain we called Bud on a Stick. Grew exactly like it's name.

There used to be a lot more strains like that. There were a couple Northern Lights types that did that. Outdoors there were strains without branching that would get 3-5 feet tall, one cola no branching. Finish mid August to mid September.

I miss that stuff. It's basically extinct now because of the damn plant limits.

I don't understand the logic of saying 50 plants with 2-4 ounces is a crime while 15 plants a pound each isn't. It's basically the same thing.

budsicles

Had a pheno of HSO Chemdawg a while back that grew like a bean stalk...no branching at all. Smelled like cantaloupe. I eventually culled it because of the annoying structure. It was hard to get a good yield in my particular setup. But it would have been perfect for high density sog, like 4-9 plants per square foot. Not sure how common that pheno is...I only popped a few freebies.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
There was a strain we called Bud on a Stick. Grew exactly like it's name.

There used to be a lot more strains like that. There were a couple Northern Lights types that did that. Outdoors there were strains without branching that would get 3-5 feet tall, one cola no branching. Finish mid August to mid September.

I miss that stuff. It's basically extinct now because of the damn plant limits.

I don't understand the logic of saying 50 plants with 2-4 ounces is a crime while 15 plants a pound each isn't. It's basically the same thing.

Yeah I think plant limits are ridiculous too, but it's their way of keeping any average Joe from starting a pot farm without paying heavy taxes first. Where I live any amount of plants are illegal and if you get caught they charge you for the weight of plants not the number. So 2 pounds on 1 plant is no different than 2 pounds from 10. And yes, they weigh them wet which could make any small grow seem like a big op in front of a jury/judge.

Sea of green is at risk because of these plant limit laws. It's a shame because it is a very efficient way to grow in an organised manner.