What's new

Tom Hill Soil Mix Lime??

Tanpit

Tom Hills Outdoor Soil Mix. ... Am i the only one who finds it odd that no ph buffer is used (dolomite lime)

Easy7

Veteran
Not the best subforum to ask. But are there oyster shells? Oyster adds calcium and buffers ph. Calcium is perhaps the most vital mineral and nutrient. It buffers ph as well as other functions.

Tanpit

Oh Tim Hill Mix

Oh Tim Hill Mix

Besides the chicken manure gypsum streamed bone meal and the perlite I haven't added anything that's the basic recipe I'm using but I Am Using Roots Organics Soil gotta look and see what all is in Roots Organics itself has a lot of good stuff in it; I'm sure your aware.. Thanks for reply I got like just not sure if I shld use it cause it dosent call for it in recipe anywhere I looked

Easy7

Veteran
Just understand soil and plants. They love calcium. 70% of cations (positive charge aka alkaline) should be calcium. Plants take in positive charged particles out of the soil and put in negative charged particles into the soil. That's why they can acidify over time as well as other reasons. So oyster shell does a good job, lime does well, some gypsum doesn't hurt the minerals either. Guano has lot's of calcium and minerals like magnesium. In turn acid/negative charges just break free more cations and what else.

The Tom Hill recipe works. It uses gypsum for calcium. Adding lime would make the magnesium too high. Stick to the recipe and you will be fine.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Couldn't find the exact quote, but iirc Tom stated his source water was high PH so he used all Gypsum. Then adding if you source water was a bit lower you could go 50/50 gypsum/lime.

Mr^^

Easy7

Veteran
Yes or just go less lime and gypsum. Honestly I don't even need either unless working outdoor soil with clay. The soil here is alkaline and clay. They say it used to be extremely thick top soil. But the deforestation for farming washed away most of it. It was like 10 feet thick. They say that a squirrel could jump from tree to tree, from the Ohio River to lake Erie and never touch the ground. Now it's just a bunch of white trash and snobby church folk that give nothing back.

Easy7

Veteran
I cannot find Tom Hill's recipe anymore. If anyone has it post it, I'm in the dark here.

Potatoad

I read a college article I found about Cannabis, which I was a little surprised to find. I feel that it covered most of the basics well. I am still new to growing but I was impressed. If you're interested here is the indoor growing article. I hope it helps you as much as it helped me.

jidoka

I've played with a lot of different soil recipes over the years, 1rst year new soil mixes, as well as yearly additives. Here's a very simple mix that is well proven and I am comfortable recommending for those large outdoor containers. It gives about 50 cubic feet or just over 300 gallons (dry U.S), and fills a 6ft diameter container to a depth of about 18inches - perfectly.

25 bags black gold potting soil (1.5cf ea)

4 bags stutzman farms chicken manure (1 cf ea)

1 bag perlite (4 cf ea)

1 bag (50 lbs) bonemeal (steamed, not precipitated)

1/2 bag gypsum (aprox 1/2 cf) - Edit -> 1/2 of a 40 lb bag (20lbs).

Mix well, water thoroughly, let rest for 2-3 weeks minimum, transplant, and stand back

Best Regards,

Tom

Potatoad

Not sure about PH but I was able to find this growing article here on soil for cannabis. You need soil that will hold moisture but also drains well. I wouldn't be surprised if one day Home Depot has soil made for cannabis.