What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil

lukybryla

Hey guys,
Wonder if I can use dirt I took from forest to grow my plants ?
Also if you have any tips for begginer about soil and stuff youd be willing to share Id be grateful, thanks in advance.

:smoke out::dance013:

ThenewCropman

Hey !

Still a newbie myself but Definitely have some input. From my understand we can really grow In anything we want too, each medium just comes with its own draw backs ?
Forest soil I'm sure is great for moisture, and some organic natural ingredients. But it could come with pests, diseases , fungus or many other things that could come with each scoop. Also you wouldn't "know" exactly what is in the soil. Making feeding later on more difficult.

Another thing could be drainage. You would have to add some sort of perlite or high drainage medium to help the water get out.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it. But again I'm still a newbie and what do I know !!

Sorry if I rambled.. Just trying to get everything out that I think about the subject !

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you can try!
i use native soil (from my field) and "forest duff" from underneath big old healthy trees in the forest near me
i've never planted in pure forest duff before, but i've grown LOTS of plants in the native soil of my field.

i would treat it like a "living soil" and inoculate with beneficial microbes and like cropman said you want to be sure your soil drains well AND holds water well
give it a try! in my opinion it is a worthy experiment -

Iamnumber

Hi,

I think there is probably 27+ different types of forest soils.. so .. the pros and cons depend on the exact type of soil.

While it could be good regarding ph and nutrients .. I would guess that it would be more likely to incorrect ph and poor nutrients (for random bucket of forest soil).

You could kill pest by mirowaving the soil (in patches).. not sure if it would help with pathogens and diseases.

Big question is why would you prefer it? It is cheap and readily available? .. yes.. but it comes with its own issues.. Once you know your soil types and what plants need.. maybe.. just maybe..

So to keep things simple.. I would just buy basic soil from store and start from there .. bit of perlite or similar to improve drainage/ airy quality to soil. fytocell or vermiculite to add water retention.

T

Teddybrae

You must add animal manures ... or inoculate it like Avinash.Miles sez above ...