Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Razorback hog in my area

Thread Title Search
Razorback hog in my area Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2018, 12:25 PM #1
militia420

militia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nice
Razorback hog in my area

So I've got a razorback hog that I've encountered up close once already and today I found fresh shit down in the area where I plan to put some plants. What am I gonna do about this guy? I figure I can put up some hogwire around the couple of spots I have picked for plants. I planned on running an irrigation line from a stream source but I don't know if he could/would tear it up. I already took a leak near it's shit to try to influence whether it comes around. I might take some dog shit with me next time to throw all over the woods since there are people who hunt with them in this area.

I've read of other people ordering predator piss to spread around. Does this work? Is there some reason why pitbull hair and poop wouldn't suffice?

I also decided I should probably start going to the spot with my 1911 because there's no way I'm outrunning that thing if I stumble upon it.

I can't get hits searching for "hog" since it's three letters. I found some threads one hogwire but I'm all ears and no hunting this thing isn't an option. I can't get it out of the gulch if I shoot it and I don't want gun blasts alerting people in the area (unless it's trying to save my life from a hog with 3-4inch tusks.)

https://postimg.cc/image/ffih2ay3r/

https://postimg.cc/image/9fupy9nhj/
militia420 is offline Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 03:36 PM #2
therevverend

therevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to behold
Glad I've never had to deal with hogs I can't think of anything more destructive besides man. One of the pitfalls of removing all natural predators from an environment.
If the hog wants the plants it'll get them. Maybe find out what farmers do to keep their pigs from getting out and destroying their crops? I'd guess it involves fencing several inches into the ground. Hogs are so bold I'm not sure if the predator scent would be a deterrent but it's worth a try. Hogs have a strong sense of smell.
What about trapping? It would be dangerous, you'd have to get up close to the bastard. Wouldn't want to try to kill it that way, but maybe a blow to the head with a heavy ax? At least you'd have pork to eat.
I don't like poison, it's indiscriminate and unfair.
Hogs usually run in groups so there's probably several of them. I guess I'd try fencing, predator scent, planting away from the pigs, and trapping as a last ditch, my crop is getting destroyed, effort. Trapping won't work if it's a herd.
Try other key words besides hog for your search. Feral pig, wild boar, they have a lot of aliases.
Yeah I googled 'How to protect your garden from feral pigs'. Bunch of solutions and products. I think you'll find your answer there. Be sure to let us know how it goes. I know growers in Hawaii, California, the South, and other places with hogs who'd be very interested.
therevverend is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:38 PM #3
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud of
Hogs are extremely strong. Look at how a pig fence is built, because this is what you'll need to set up to keep them out. They're smart, they're cantankerous and they eat a lot.

The only 'real' solution is probably to kill it or trap and release.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 03:53 PM #4
therevverend

therevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to beholdtherevverend is a splendid one to behold
The products I'm seeing are portable electric fences.
therevverend is offline Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 04:15 PM #5
militia420

militia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by therevverend View Post
Glad I've never had to deal with hogs I can't think of anything more destructive besides man.
That's the bitch of this situation. I've never had to deal with them, but their reputation precedes them and I know all about the year round open season in most States for them. I really REALLY would just like to shoot him with a 30 cal in a humane fashion and be done with it but unless it's life threatening I don't see that happening. The grow spot will be ruined due to attention from the noise of a 30 cal going off in a gulch.

Quote:
I'd guess it involves fencing several inches into the ground. Hogs are so bold I'm not sure if the predator scent would be a deterrent but it's worth a try. Hogs have a strong sense of smell.
What about trapping?
The hogwire I've got should do the trick but I think for my own safety I'll need to run that line over a bigger area to reduce my chances of running into him. I really doubt any one will be going through that rugged area but the cost benefit ratio seems to lean towards covering a larger area to keep him out. Looks like another poster is recommending portable electric lines. I've never heard of that but reading through some other threads on deer the thought of some high voltage lines crossed my mind. There isn't an organism alive that intentionally messes with HV. I'm definitely going to spread dog shit all over the place. It can't hurt. It's minimal effort. I just really want effective solutions. I did think about trapping too. I've got the gear for things up to coon size and maybe a bit bigger. This razorback is huge though. His legs and hips are the size of a great Dane, no exaggeration. The only trap I think I could run is a very heavy duty steel line to snag a leg but that SOB will wind up attracting more attention with screeching than if I just shot him. The third night of living at this place I was out smoking a j and I heard this guy screeching at the end of my yard and rooting around. That sound carries way too much at night here.

Quote:
It would be dangerous, you'd have to get up close to the bastard. Wouldn't want to try to kill it that way, but maybe a blow to the head with a heavy ax? At least you'd have pork to eat.
I don't like poison, it's indiscriminate and unfair.
I'm already a medical user. I'm too messed up to be doing any hand to tusk combat . Poison is out of the question. I agree it's cruel shit. I was thinking maybe before I set up the gulch area for a grow I might try locating some other locales that knife hunt with dogs to see if they want a go at him. It might be the only way to physically get rid of him and if the area has no prep work done then the hunters would be none the wiser (unless they decide to grow there too DOH!).

Quote:
Feral pig, wild boar, they have a lot of aliases.
Yeah I googled 'How to protect your garden from feral pigs'. Bunch of solutions and products. I think you'll find your answer there. Be sure to let us know how it goes. I know growers in Hawaii, California, the South, and other places with hogs who'd be very interested.
Good idea. I'll keep digging. Will post what ever I decide to do and results.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 PM #6
militia420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
Hogs are extremely strong. Look at how a pig fence is built, because this is what you'll need to set up to keep them out. They're smart, they're cantankerous and they eat a lot.
Believe me I've seen what this one's rooting has done around the area. He's flattened out a bunch of areas in the woods where he must sleep and rest during the day. My brother had a deer lay on a 3ft sativa which flattened it. I can't imagine what this beast would do if it laid on the plants rather than eating them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
The only 'real' solution is probably to kill it or trap and release.
I really just want to off it. There's no shortage of them here. I don't want the risk of getting gored, or having to explain why I was defending myself with a handgun from it. Even if I get the thing offed I planned on putting up some sort of basic fencing for the plants. This is a headache as safe grow spots accessible to someone with bad tendons are hard to find on this volcanic island. Appreciate you cutting to the chase with the most likely solutions.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:25 PM #7
Capt.Ahab
Feeding the ducks with a bun.

Capt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivorCapt.Ahab is a survivor
I'd kill it with a bow. It's silent and nobody is the wiser. If you cant drag it out of the gulch then bury it deep or drag it off deeper into the woods and let all the other forest critters eat on it.
Do you think it is alone? Seems as though hogs like company. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others in the area.
"Mark ye, be forewarned; Ahab's above the common; Ahab's been in colleges, as well as 'mong the cannibals; been used to deeper wonders than the waves; fixed his fiery lance in mightier, stranger foes than whales.'"
Capt.Ahab is offline Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 04:30 PM #8
militia420

Quote:
The products I'm seeing are portable electric fences.
Ah it was you recommending the portable electric fences. Sleep deprivation made me miss that. I really like the thought of this but I think it would be ideal for almost every thing but a boar or a large game predator. I really don't want to run into this f'ing thing. Those pictures I posted were of it 10 feet away eating palm nuts. It didn't see me when I opened the door to step out and catch a buzz, but I was looking right at it's ass end and it looked a bit like a super tall dog that was kind of ragged. I managed to step back in and get my phone camera to take video before it turned and faced the house. It's very keen. I only had the camera sticking out of the door but when I accidentally moved it a little too much twice this guy stopped eating and stared for a minute assessing the situation. I've heard him going up and down the neighborhood when he comes up from the woods. There's children and pets in the area so I'm gonna see if I can't get more info on some knife and dog hunters who might want a go at him for free game and meat and to help keep the neighborhood safe. As long as I get it done soon I should still have time after the fact to get the spot prepped for some plants.

I need that bud. Ain't got the money to buy and growing is therapeutic. I appreciate the feedback and I'll read up on the portable electric fences tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:35 PM #9
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
Call the local fish & game department & ask if they can remove it.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 04:38 PM #10
militia420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Ahab View Post
I'd kill it with a bow. It's silent and nobody is the wiser. If you cant drag it out of the gulch then bury it deep or drag it off deeper into the woods and let all the other forest critters eat on it.
Do you think it is alone? Seems as though hogs like company. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others in the area.

This guy is definitely alone. I know they tend to travel together but I think he may be an older alpha. I've never seen or heard him with others. He's an actual razorback. I've seen feral black pigs and I know people in the neighborhood who have caught some of those ( I might talk to them about this guy but I don't think they want to mess with him. The black ones are definitely more docile.) Bow hunting ain't a bad solution and I know someone who does that so you just gave me a possible solution for dealing with this boar and making use of him so he doesn't go to waste. The black ones don't scare me the way this one does. They're docile and I've heard them fleeing the area when I was outside making noise. This razorback strikes me as the type to stand his ground and possibly gore me in a testosterone filled rage. I've got a small to do list now for options to be looking into. Some of them I should have thought of but I'm persistently sleep deprived so nothings simple any more ( I'm all out of the strong indica I grew in 2016, this grow is hopefully gonna set me straight for a while). Thank all of you for responding with suggestions so far.