What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Side by side grow. 630 CMH vs 1000HPS

maryjane481

Hi Issack. I have a couple of questions.
How do you dispose your nutrient waste? And, what is the pitch of your tables for a good waste flow? Thanks for your answer.

issack

Veteran
Hi Issack. I have a couple of questions.
How do you dispose your nutrient waste? And, what is the pitch of your tables for a good waste flow? Thanks for your answer.

I have a builge pump that pumps it outside. I use a 1 inch drop in a 4 foot span of width. It slopes and drains great.

What kelvin (3100k or 4200k) bulb you used for the cmh? I noticed Phillip has 2 kelvin bulb to choose from. Did you use the only ?K light through veg to bloom or was it alternated (used 3100k in veg then switch to 4200k in bloom)?

Elephunk

This is one of the finest journals I’ve seen in a looonnnggg time. Thank you so much for the contribution for us to look back on for guidance.

I’m planning a set up and was thinking an hps/mh set up would be my route. Going to ditch that and just buy a cmh.

Only thing I’m comparing now is cmh vs QB led... but I’m still not convinced leds give the yields like HID. Almost certain of it. Finding more and more none of the led guys ever show entire plant pics so you can see the length and fill of the kolas. Probably for that very reason- they just don’t have the canopy penetration to fill out the stem. Quality looks comparable though.

This journal has me leaning 90% cmh 10% QB.

Beautiful grow man. Thank you again!

Last edited:

Koondense

Veteran
Elephunk,
if you're used to grow under hids, you should go the cmh route. Growing under leds requires a bit of grow style adaptation, mostly regarding canopy manipulation and light distance, also temperatures.
Still i believe cobs and qbs on average produce more par w/consumed w so the g/w production should be higher than under hids, if the grower can dial up the setup.

Cheers

Elephunk

Considering the CMH for sure. I was attracted to the LEDs with the possibility of managing heat better, wattage, no remote ballast/wires, and gaining some vertical height in my set up. It's a clean set up.

With HIDs, I know roughly what to expect from past experience before I went dormant.

But then I see grows like your latest one and I think "roasted's" AF journal and I'm thinking WTF! LEDs look like they did a fine job and filled out the kola. With all the benefits!

KD, do the flowers have a larf/airy structure to them? (seriously not trying to insult- genuinely curious). Do the LEDs grow the flower tight/dense? I'm looking to grow perpetual sog sticks. Tight full flowers down the entire stem.

Koondense

Veteran
Hi elephunk,
honestly yes, leds make solid buds. I only found out after growing a mostly indica hybrid, most plants i grow are sativas and yet they produce solid buds, but the indica was rock hard, so the major factor is genetics.
There are things to consider before switching to leds, i believe they can be amazing for scrog but maybe not so amazing for sog with stretchy clones. The important factor is light spread and intensity coming from a single led source area. In this cobs have some advantage over qbs, especially when driven medium hard(75-100w/cob). The usable growing height under a light increases proportional to the light intensity, so i would expect qbs to have a bit lower usable height than cobs. Cmh seems better but with overall less par output than leds.
Why not trying both? For sure the lights pay out for themselves very soon + you'll have double experience and a very informative journal for the IC community ;)

Elephunk

Sigh... then there’s that route 😔. What I hate about the equipment is that it’s kinda hard to get rid of without broadcasting.

I guess if I went that route and the QBs didn’t pan out I could use it for the mother/clone area.

$1500ish in gear.

I don’t sell either. Want nothing to do with that. This is personal for me and my lady so the expense is totally out of pocket.

I’ll make a new thread reviewing the design and all that and take my situation over there. Don’t want to keep highjacking this resource.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Issack,
Great work!
You unlocked the Paradigm Shift door....
I have a few thoughts, and questions.
I think that Sunlights' LEC 630 has a better overall footprint, than the Nanolux.
The LEC 630 looks bigger.
Sunlight says that at 36 inches, it covers s 5x5.
The Sunlight LED 630, and the ballest is integral, to the hood.
Sunlight is all Phillips components.
4200 for veg., and early flower. 3100 for flower 2nd week.
I might be incorrect.
What are your thoughts?
Thsnks!

issack

Veteran
Hey fellas. I used the Phillips 3100k throughout the whole grow. I'm sticking to that since I reaped a mother load harvest off them. Kinda pricey for me to buy 4200k just to switch them out after 3 weeks of veg. My current Dosido run is on 10 days veg right now and looking amazing. I am just always going to use the full spectrum 3100k. Its working. If its not broke dont fix it in my eyes. Lol

issack

Veteran
Thanks Issack!
I have another 2 questions
Why are you not using 3 gallon Smart Pots?
Why are you not using Dyna-Gro?

2 gallon smart pots man. Half pound plants.. some even 9.5 zips. I'm using mills atm. Its working well. Dyna gro is something I have not ventured in yet.. I've done everything over the years besides advanced and Dyna..

issack

Veteran
If you grow with this method of drain to waste multi feed every few hours once roots are established.. you would see that 3 gallon pots are way too big. But if you're trying to grow trees and you got double ended thousands or something then sure.. I can understand bigger pots.. but I'm only rocking a 3 week veg

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks!
I am just trying to duplicate your results.
I have never worked with Coco.
2 gallon is correct.
I have been focused on self built aeroponic designs.
I have been researching CMH efficacy for the last few months.
I have a lot of ideas, on how to make your cmh even more effective.
I am very thankful for your work, and subsequent inspiration!
I want to help you if possible.
I live no where near you.
Thanks for your consideration.
SR

issack

Veteran
I'm absolutely down to hear your ideas SR. I love learning new things. If you think you're on to something then I'm all ears bro..

Take the discussion over to my grow log in grow diaries.. " 8k coco grow show. " let's chat it up over there, or we can message .. I'm happy you are trying coco. I've done every other medium and nothing compares. My new run is in 2 weeks veg. I'm about to post updates. Hope to see you there.!!

Azeotrope

Veteran
Hi elephunk,
honestly yes, leds make solid buds. I only found out after growing a mostly indica hybrid, most plants i grow are sativas and yet they produce solid buds, but the indica was rock hard, so the major factor is genetics.
There are things to consider before switching to leds, i believe they can be amazing for scrog but maybe not so amazing for sog with stretchy clones. The important factor is light spread and intensity coming from a single led source area. In this cobs have some advantage over qbs, especially when driven medium hard(75-100w/cob). The usable growing height under a light increases proportional to the light intensity, so i would expect qbs to have a bit lower usable height than cobs. Cmh seems better but with overall less par output than leds.
Why not trying both? For sure the lights pay out for themselves very soon + you'll have double experience and a very informative journal for the IC community ;)

The issue with LEDs is that each diode is tuned to a particular nm on the spectrum. Thus, you cannot duplicate the spectral output/coverage that the LEC/CMH bulbs can. The entire spectrum is used by plants. LEDs just leave too much out.

Koondense

Veteran
Not the case with cobs and white leds in general. They are basically royal blue leds covered with phosphor coating which turns part of the blue light in lower energy wavelenghts.

example
picture.php

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Dude I just found and read through this whole thread since I'm currently looking at dropping my 1ks for 630s. I think after reading this I might be sold. I appreciate this thread.

Dirt Bag

Dude I just found and read through this whole thread since I'm currently looking at dropping my 1ks for 630s. I think after reading this I might be sold. I appreciate this thread.

We're currently in the process. I am concerned that the 630s, though smaller, will still radiate heat downward. I've been unable to see one in person. Our air-cooled 1kHPS & MH change the air directly under them by no discernable amount, but are expensive to run and I believe they're too intense, causing long-term light burn/stress.
We have standard 8' ceilings and 2' high ebb&flow tray stands. Assuming the lights will hang at 1' leaves 5'. How close can the top be from a 630? Our plants have never been over 3' tall. Usual around 2'. How high above the canopy does one (say ,the sun systems 630) have to be to cast a 4x4 footprint?

Latest posts

Latest posts