What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Crux of the Biscuit

bsgospel

Bat Macumba

Kinda been partying a lot lately :party:

Follow along as we transform a guest room into a serviceable grow space and teach my roommate how to grow for himself and do so on a budget. Featuring cuts from friends and dispensaries- seeds from Breeders Retail/Chimera/Cannacopia/Cultivator's Choice & Greenpoint, as well as some old stashes that I've been holding onto for a minute.

I've moved a handful of times over the last two years so really investing any effort in a home grow wasn't feasible. Not to mention I already do this full time and the last fucking thing I want to do when I get home is transplant or trim. However- with the friend to keep an eye on it and execute all duties of the Office of Grower, I like our odds of turning out a good product and making a good gardener out of someone who's never really engaged with plants this way.

And did I mention liberal smatterings to the dome-piece of my favorite Zappa songs and quotes?

YES! And But Also! Conceptual Continuity of building a test soil out back where we smash up elements of the SlowN/Coots/LOS/Organic/Mineral/Calculated/Guesstimated/Numbers v. Results-and-all-methods-in-between-kinda-sorta-mix-blend-type of growing for cannabis and foodstuffs!

(This is a dog talkin' now)
What is your Conceptual Continuity?
Well, I told him right then
(Fido said)
It should be easy to see
The crux of the biscuit
Is the Apostrophe(')

Last edited:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
We're planting in nothing more than a 50/50 coco/perlite mixture. I run a few cups of Jacks/Calcinit through the starting mix to rinse and charge. No ph. At the time of transplant, a little bit of powdered mycos gets sprinkled in. Once a week, BioAg Ful-Hum at a minimal rate is mixed in. Most of these are still in smaller cups so we'll raise that up in time. Found a garden store was closing yesterday so a bottle of microbe life: photosynthesis plus was purchased for extremely cheap. Also scored on new can filters, scales, biochar and fittings. Filled my arms for $29!

Here's the seed stock.

picture.php

View image in gallery

NL x ChemDbx (Chimera): Germed and popped on 3/14, surfaced on 3/18. Though all 5 popped, only 3 made it to this stage. Two distinct phenos here.

picture.php

View image in gallery

Blizzard Bush (Greenpoint): Germed and popped on 3/28. All six germed, all six surfaced by 4/2.

picture.php

View image in gallery

Mental Floss (Chimera): 3 germed on 3/24, 3 sprouted by 3/28

picture.php

View image in gallery

Chunky Monkey x C99 (Cannacopia): 4 seeds planted somewhere around mid-late Feb. Three survived and they look pretty good.

picture.php

View image in gallery

And another CM x C99: This was the biggest to jump ahead so it's been cloned already. The other two are hesistant to start thowing axillary branches or nodes, so I can't tell yet if this is a different pheno or a result of topping.

Last edited:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Other aims:

The Blizzard Bush consisting of Pura Vida caught my eye. A friend holds a cut of Pura Vida which at its highest has tested at ~37% THC. If we can smash this Blizzard and his cut together, a most chunky and potent strain could present itself over a few rounds.

For flower I've got a 600w (300 total draw) LED panel which should cover a 6x2 closet space quite nicely. However, after seeing how Repuk has constructed his SILs for minimal cost and max efficiency, we'll be doing a pseudo side-by-side to try some things out.

The system in mind for flower is a weird idea. It's recirculating but not DWC. I didn't want to have to worry about root rot or paying for additives to keep a bin sterile/clean. Net pots will hang in a bin and drainage will return everything back to where it started. The bulk head fittings won't allow full drainage though. We end up with about a cm of standing solution (even tilted, the grooves of the bins won't empty) and that's not terrible I suppose. Could even be beneficial. If we pump a feed 5 times a day, any suspended roots should enjoy both the jacks mixture and oxygen without too much fuss or stress.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Here are the moms:

UK Cheese ^

Lucinda Williams ^

Pure Love ^

Cloning has gone well:

100% success on this round, all shooting right up.

Here's our suspension/shared recirculating demo. This and another bin will be plumbed together and return everything to our res. Flipping to flower at the end of this month. Starting with one UK, one PL, one LW, and one CM99. In the next bin I hope we have the rest of the seeds ready to go so we can run perpetually and keep variety interesting. They should be good to go by mid-late May.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
And our male (Purple X, Chimera):

Seems hearty and healthy but I can't point to anything in this particular male that we would want to keep. Stem rub- nothing. Took forever to show sex or organs. Its female counterpart began to take a dive and now only one clone of her exists. And by dive, I mean for no reason. All of a sudden, multiple deficiencies while everything around it thrived. The male is going down the same road I think. We shall see.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Where I stole the Mar-juh-reen

Where I stole the Mar-juh-reen

St. Alfonzo! The Texas Butter I ordered on Saturday is here already.

5 seeds dropped in water just now. Greenpoint delivers (literally!) again.

Attachments

• IMG_20180425_215838423.jpg
    IMG_20180425_215838423.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180425_213959815.jpg
    IMG_20180425_213959815.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180425_215830174.jpg
    IMG_20180425_215830174.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 20

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
All Texas Butter popped and planted. Put in paper towel on 4/27, popped totally and planted in coco on 4/28. Here they are today.

All the moms got cloned again and haircuts. Next round includes CM99 #2 & 3, some more Lucinda Williams, Pure Love, Mental Floss #3, NLxChem #3 & 4. #5 died in the cloner. However the mom NLChem's have regenerated incredibly quick. All will enjoy more chances in the future along with the Blizzard Bush (which got topped today) and the Texas Butter. Also have some Deep Chunkolate from Cannacopia which I want to get into rotation. Ooo and found a couple Recon & Jesus OG bagseeds laying around. We'll pop those soon. First round of flower will begin in a week or two. Recirculating system in last photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20180502_073134646.jpg
    IMG_20180502_073134646.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180502_073104073.jpg
    IMG_20180502_073104073.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180502_073056322.jpg
    IMG_20180502_073056322.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20180502_073048756.jpg
    IMG_20180502_073048756.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180428_224234464.jpg
    IMG_20180428_224234464.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 16

Gry

Running across this thread was almost like hearing something off Over-Nite Sensation.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
have you seen Dweezil or Project/Object touring recently? they both came through and Dweezil's current band is amazing!

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Not that particular iteration but I've been to a good few of the ZPZ years. Never thought I'd get to see Ray White in person. I haven't been let down by any of those bands.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Okay. Something interesting happened today. For those of you following the ancestral skunk saga- I put some batch one seeds out into the world (in the hands of some trusted growers.) Wasn't expecting much but today I got five stellar looking clones back from a suspected female. Pics later. And hey who knows, I'm still holding onto a grip of batch one and two. Maybe we can find her a mate. Really geeked out when those batch ones showed up on my doorstep after work with no warning.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
The Purple Lagoon

The Purple Lagoon

Pic dump

#1 - NLxChem- all three are looking much better since growing out of seed-dom. Clones for #3 & #4 were planted today. I may choose the newly planted for the moms and put these much longer vegged plants into flower in a week or two.

#2 - Texas Butter- looking awesome. A little leaf crinkle from low humidity but we're a quick moment away from having our first set of leaves after 9 days. The Blizzard Bush have presented with about 2 phenos and a male (maybe...god willing....fingers crossed)

#3 - Ancestral Skunk - Received them in peat blocks. Not really my preferred cloning method but I'm not going to try to replant them in either a cloner or whatever. They seem to like the peat just fine. Excellent health since they showed up on my door.

#4 - The Purple Lagoon - Faux wall going up this week and flower will commence. I've planted a few more phenos of Chunky Monkey x C99, we may be able to sneak them in with the first batch.

Mental Floss has been slow to catch up to everything else but it cloned remarkably fast. One pheno coming through soon.

Cheers~

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_173225519_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180507_173225519_HDR.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180506_123312547.jpg
    IMG_20180506_123312547.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180507_173304172.jpg
    IMG_20180507_173304172.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180507_173314035.jpg
    IMG_20180507_173314035.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 17

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
:tiphat:

The idea (arc) here is keep it cheap and simple. The three totes were as cheap as it got for 12 gallons of air space/7 gallons of liquid. The two totes on the left will each have four spots apiece for 5" net pots, dangling roots. They'll both drain through bulk head fittings back to the res on the right (187gph?/.3hp?) Feeds are on a digital timer for every 8 hours. If the light were any stronger, I'd dial in something a little more frequent. The middle tote hasn't been drilled/fitted yet. I'll fill them in two weeks after the initial four go into flower and keep it going perpetually. Pics when everything is plumbed and such.

What was I saying? Oh yeah, cheap! Most of the limited dough for this project went into pots, trays, fittings, tubing, pvc... And even after those costs, the most expensive thing was genetics (which I would have bought anyway, roommate regardless.) All told $40-50 in plastic, $15 for jack's and $15 for hole saw attachments. Next paycheck: $30 for CO2 (Exhale bag/should last 6 months if it works as advertised), $6 in some ducting for a donated max fan and carbon filter, $30 to get a truck to move a couple 4 x 8 flood tables across town to automate veg. $20 in succulents because we've been buying those like mad lately. Whole house is covered in 'em.

We hit the bare minimum for environmental elements to get the plants going and after that, we'll go back and fine tune (white paint/panda film/humidifier/DIY LED's, etc.)

Last edited:

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Really looking forward to more.. Epic grow with some great genetics :)

Those CM X C99 are going to yield hard!

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
I've been stock piling some pics and updates. We're gradually shifting the light hours to overnight as I'm at work all day during the current settings.

Poked my head in last night for just a second and got the temps for the day. Really warm but just humid enough to stay barely within vpd parameters put forth by most charts. 90F max/77 min/~80%. The CM has about doubled in size since the first week of flower. Other shit is getting crowded out quickly. Only 7 more weeks to go!

To add to the Cannacopia, just received the Lapis Mountain Indica and Chunk D from Seed Boutique. Then I've got the Tom Hill Breeders pack coming in a couple days. Swimming in Afghans over here.

btw- all the Ancestral Skunk rooted and rooted HARD. Need to plant them asap. My buddy has it in flower and it's still a little early but I think we've got a stinking good female here.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
The Clap

The Clap

Two new batches of seeds are in. Tom Hill breeders pack and Cannacopia + Mosca's Killer Queen. Both came with the same freebies of SSSDH x G13 and OGSD x Durban. I wanted to get into the Killer Queen first but the space isn't really set up for C99 crosses, we're finding out.

The Chunky Monkey x C99 is dominating the light/space. UK cheese is barely flowering and we're three weeks in. The next lid will most likely be drilled for a SOG setup. 12 holes for 2" net pots and throw smaller plants in after a week or two of veg.

Found mites in veg- ladybugs and pyrethrins have been deployed. Mainly affecting a couple moms but they're appearing elsewhere, too. A new 4 x 8 table is going in next week and if things don't improve, we'll take the best two cuts from each strain and dash everything else; start over with a new herd of persimillis or nematodes and clean like a mother fucker. The thrips weren't terrible. Wasn't going to sweat them. The mites are a different story. Growing weed is fun and it should be fun. Mites are just work. So I'm sitting here vacillating between hitting the panic button and letting sprays and preds do their thing.

Roots are balling out, little brown tinge but it's not too bad. Lil
clear rez/pool shock/bleach on the next top off. So far three weeks in, I've only had to top off once with three gallons.

Attachments

• IMG_20180524_205744526.jpg
    IMG_20180524_205744526.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180525_070620854.jpg
    IMG_20180525_070620854.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20180531_213118668.jpg
    IMG_20180531_213118668.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180531_213135186.jpg
    IMG_20180531_213135186.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180604_091131802.jpg
    IMG_20180604_091131802.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 16

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
:tiphat:

Big one in the back is CM99 and the shorty in front is the UK. Not good. Wishing I had repuk's octopus LED right about now.

Attachments

• IMG_20180604_091145007.jpg
    IMG_20180604_091145007.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 486.jpg
    486.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 19