Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > ACE's Panama vs Dr Greenthumb's Panama Red?

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
ACE's Panama vs Dr Greenthumb's Panama Red? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2018, 03:27 AM #1
billyblog

billyblog is a jewel in the roughbillyblog is a jewel in the roughbillyblog is a jewel in the roughbillyblog is a jewel in the roughbillyblog is a jewel in the roughbillyblog is a jewel in the rough
ACE's Panama vs Dr Greenthumb's Panama Red?

Anyone here had the opportunity to compare ACE's Panama to Dr Greenthumb's Panama Red? What were your findings?

I've currently got ACE's Panama in early flowering and I detect some notably Skunk-ish, Dutch type under/overtones to it, leaves are rather broad and indica-ish, Dr Greenthumb's Panama Red is allegedly a pure landrace sativa, looks as if it could possibly be the real deal. I know Dr G had been trying to get his hands on the real deal for many years.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,

billy

Last edited by billyblog; 03-18-2018 at 03:37 AM..
billyblog is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 PM #2
bestothebest

bestothebest is a jewel in the roughbestothebest is a jewel in the roughbestothebest is a jewel in the roughbestothebest is a jewel in the roughbestothebest is a jewel in the roughbestothebest is a jewel in the rough
Dr Gt is not very trustworthy. I'd stick with ace and look through more phenos.

Living in a Magnum Opus
bestothebest is offline Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 10:17 PM #3
Bumbatar

Bumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really niceBumbatar is just really nice
I could be wrong but I thought ace Panama had some Colombian red in it and I also heard and could be wrong that Victorian era pharmaceutical companies brought indica cannabis seeds from northern India to Colombia to grow and manufacture their invigorating tonics and elixirs, then those seeds mixed with the native sativa plants. This is why some people think the Colombian red cannabis in the 70's had a sedative drunken high compared to the more stimulating Colombian gold or Mexicans.
Bumbatar is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:18 AM #4
thejact55

thejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nicethejact55 is just really nice
I thought aces panama had something else in it as well. I just looked and aces sight mentions alot of panama mothers, and nothing about columbian or anything else except it is remenescent of old columbians...
I coulda swore there was something else in it though.

Durban Poison Seedbay Tester thread 2018: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....51#post8219651

Growing for a seed stash, more than a bud stash.

Help the DEA fight cartels and crime, grow your own weed!
thejact55 is offline Quote

Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 AM #5
yesum
IC Mag Supporter

yesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud of
I grew out the ACE version and was satisfied. I never had the original Panama Red to compare it to. Good power and a nice sativa buzz.

I currently have the Greenthumb version as well as Snowhigh's PR going. I expect them to be good or great. All the reports on Greenthumb's PR have been very good.

Snow's was good but had been sitting for a year or so before I smoked it and was heavily seeded.
yesum is online now Quote

Old 03-19-2018, 02:30 AM #6
Blind Joe Death

Blind Joe Death has a spectacular aura aboutBlind Joe Death has a spectacular aura aboutBlind Joe Death has a spectacular aura aboutBlind Joe Death has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubi View Post
Our Panama hybrid has been developed with different Panama and Colombian strains. It is a serious breeding project of 5 years.

We have combined an old Panama sativa from the 70s, a 'green' Panama grown there nowadays and colombian red point.

Original tropical panama and colombians varieties need 4-5 mounths to flower and produce fluffy buds. But we have been working very hard to reduce the size, flowering times, to increase yields, bud density and resin formation of the original panama lines in our hybrid. We have also adapt the genetics to colder environments and have reduced light requeriments.

Our Panama it's a vigorous and manageable sativa that can be grown indoors and in great variety of climates. She flowers in about 10-11 weeks producing very dense, resinous and aromatic high quality sativa buds.

There are 2 phenos in the population, being both quite frequent: the green and the red pheno.

The red pheno grows very bushy. Its young pistils have a characteristic red colour (and not the whitish classic colour ), and then magenta when they are mature. The high is strong, dense and psychedelic.

The green pheno is lighter in colour, has wider leaf and thicker stems. The grown pattern is a little bit more columnar but still with very good branching.

The green pheno flowers with the classic white pistils. The strong crystal formation and the light colour makes a nice combination of green and white.The high is a little bit clearer and more energetic than the red panamas.

Both phenos have similar size, potency, bud density, resin formation and similar flowering times, finishing at mid October in temperate climates. The aromas are sweet, earthy with great terpene density and quality.

Pics of the green pheno growing outdoors.
I've read that Panama Red was just a Columbian Red relocated. I could be completely wrong though. But this would make sense as to why Ace used it in there hybrid. Both of these are lowland types which is why they are more dreamy and narcotic.
Blind Joe Death is offline Quote

Old 03-19-2018, 05:40 AM #7
yesum
IC Mag Supporter

yesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud ofyesum has much to be proud of
^^ My take is that there is a Panama Red strain separate from the Colombian Red. But it was rare and so for marketing and just general confusion, the lowland Colombian Red was renamed Panama Red quite often.

I think most who smoked 'Panama Red' were really smoking the Colombian. I did have the Colombian Red in '78. It was stony and dense in effect, not a typical sativa high. It was a lot like today's hybrid strains in effect.

There was also the Punto Rojo highland Colombian. It was rare and produced a soaring high compared to the lowland type. Not sure if the Punto Rojo was related to the Panama Red. I am reading a book about a smuggler of mostly Colombian pot. He commented how rare the highland type was and the better high from it.

The ACE version is not at all like the Colombian Red, much more clear.
yesum is online now Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:01 AM #8
rexamus616
I GOTA LUST FOR LIFE!!

rexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nicerexamus616 is just really nice
didn't CBG breed the panama then give it to ace?

dubi worked it quite a few generations since.... but i'm pretty sure he was given it by cannabiogen....
rexamus616 is offline Quote

Old 03-19-2018, 11:56 AM #9
Pepé The Grower

Pepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of lightPepé The Grower is a glorious beacon of light
CBG/ACE panama is indeed a cross of 3 different panama lines, one of them is coming from La Mano Negra and is very likely to have been hybridized with dutch genetics, hence some of the features of this strain now...

"Flowers everywhere is what he sees, because he is one of Shiva's devotees"
Pepé The Grower is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:18 PM #10
Mr. Roseberry

Mr. Roseberry will become famous soon enoughMr. Roseberry will become famous soon enough
I'd get it from cannabiogen before i bought it from ace. They're the ones who created it. Same goes for their PCK
Mr. Roseberry is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.