in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > trouble with RO water

Thread Title Search
trouble with RO water Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2018, 10:42 AM #1
indoornerd

indoornerd is on a distinguished road
trouble with RO water

some weeks ago i bought a reverse osmosis system. in the first time i was very happy and tried different setups. i tried mixing with tap water 50/50 and 30/70 but the result was that my moms in rockwool had bad deficits. so i bought calmag and tried nearly pure RO water with calmag. first with an EC of 0,5 later 0,8 (that destroyed my harvest) and now i use 0,2-0,3 EC. but the problem is always the same. my plants have deficits. it's strange that different stages of the plants have different levels of deficits. the cuttings in the propagator look really bad

the rooted plants look always good with slight deficits

(like the ones in the back)

the moms which are made of the leftover rooted plants look shitty again

the plants in the flowering room on cogr are ok with slight deficits and some troubles in the first week after moving into the flowering room. but that also happened before the ro system was installed.

what i always see:
-not all the plants have deficits. some look good
-young leaves lose colour between the leave veins
-old leaves look shitty and die
-plant grows slower
-deformation at the edge of the leaves, sometimes they roll a little bit

i use calmag, rhizotonic and canna nutes (EC in the end around 1,1-1,2). does anybody have an idea what i do wrong?

thanks in advance
indoornerd is offline Quote

Old 03-06-2018, 02:28 PM #2
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud of
My clones look like yours, but I use different nutes. Lucas for veg and bloom and a touch of epsom for mag.

Lucas is formulated for a full 5.4-6.0 pH swing and has deficiencies when run with a steady pH.

Your r/o is most likely fine. You'll want to find a balanced mix of your nutes.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 PM #3
indoornerd

indoornerd is on a distinguished road
how much ec epsom do you give and how much nutes?
when your clones always look like this i would take tap water in the future. with tap water they stay green and healthy.

i tried so many combinations with the nutes and r/o tap water mix that for me it feels like r/o is always bad. but it shouldn't be like this...

btw. my tap water has an EC of 0,7-0,8...
indoornerd is offline Quote

Old 03-16-2018, 07:53 PM #4
badasshydro

badasshydro is on a distinguished road
Yeah I got other problem than you it's like this as summer comes ph is 8.3 and EC 0.8 it is impossible to grow in hydro without RO filter ,I would too like to know how much to put cal mag in the RO water... Ok the problem is I use Lucas formula for flowering and I used to use 100%RO water and ph would be stable 6.2 to 5.8,but now I have got drops in a day for full point or more like 5.2.to 4.7 and then I pour tap which is now winter time ph7.3 and EC 0.4 and now I use 70%tap and 30% RO it is stable now so the problem is why all of the sudden I have those ph drops what is wrong?
badasshydro is offline Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 03:15 PM #5
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud of
Lucas has plenty of calcium. I've never used cal-mag, only epsom for mag. Once you start adding tap water I have no advice. All of my experience is with pure R/O.

You'll get better results with 5.3 - 5.8 pH swing(edit: in the root zone. Actual solution pH will vary according to your system and environment). Plants absorbing nutes raises pH. If the pH swing is too slow (greater than 10 days), your reservoir is too large.

A full point drop in pH is from too hot of a mix ( burnt roots rotting), low dissolved oxygen levels(also causes root rot), or biological outbreak (you'd see slime or something growing).

Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 PM #6
Granger2

Granger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to behold
I believe Canna recommends tap. Good luck. -granger

Old 03-20-2018, 03:15 PM #7
Douglas.Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger2 View Post
If they do it's very likely a calcium supplement is needed. Something without nitrates, unless they are also shy on nitrogen?

I'm a firm believer in keeping elements at minimum necessary levels.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:02 PM #8
Andyo

Andyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to allAndyo is a name known to all
use soft water nutes

GHE FloraMicro (Soft Water)

GHE FloraMicro is a mineral fertilizer suitable for all types of plants, which provides nitrogen and calcium, plus all the essential micronutrients for a balanced nutrition.

It promotes plant growth by providing chelated trace elements, in addition to various buffers to stabilize the pH, thus increasing the availability of mineral salts in the nutrient solution.

It is designed to use in combination with FloraGro and FloraBloom

Use softwater nutes , they have higher levels of calcium nitrate .

Forget calmag !!!

Old 03-20-2018, 05:14 PM #9
Wendull C.

Wendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger2 View Post
Never use ro water on coco. If your water is,so bad you have to filter, use a chlorine sediment filter.
Wendull C. is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2018, 05:15 PM #10
Wendull C.

Wendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud ofWendull C. has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
If they do it's very likely a calcium supplement is needed. Something without nitrates, unless they are also shy on nitrogen?

I'm a firm believer in keeping elements at minimum necessary levels.
No they mean tap water, period. I have never had to add cal mag to tap water.
Wendull C. is offline Quote