What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4 week veg, When to flower. PPK

Speed of green

I know this isn't exactly indoor hydro, but there are very few people doing hydro in the greenhouse section.

Other than the light source these houses are sealed with their own climate controls, so its probably in the same ballpark as indoor.

on to the question...

I have some plants in a PPK system, right now they are 4-5' tall and similar diameter, total height with PPK underneath is 6-7'...

i have a couple strains that stretch a lot, i have placed these plants in the center rows where the ceiling height is 16' the side rows have a ceiling height of 12'

each plant has a 7'6" diameter before i have to limbo through the canopy.

I was thinking of letting these go another week but i do not want to run out of space.

Last round i flowered at about 3-4' and ended around 6-7' plants, so they basically doubled.

Whats your opinion? let them veg another week and possibly outgrow my room, or flip now and possibly not reach full potential.

Love to hear any input/ advice.

Thanks!
picture.php

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flip 'em!

Only reason to really wait till week six is so that plants are sexually mature enough from seed to give you the best expression of their genetics.

With clones, you don't have that problem.

gmanwho

Veteran
hell ya!!!

at that size whats you watering frequency? size of gph pump in each controll bucket?

your lower ppk bucket, does that pvc return to a central res somewhere? meaning does the central rez feed to control bucket via pvc line, control bucket feeds upper ppk, trickles through, then the lower ppk bucket increased water level returns to central rez? making a complete circle?

using ppk's myself for some time now. love them... nice setup.

Speed of green

Thanks!

watering 12 seconds every 20 minutes. roughly 1/2 quart. there is a pump at each plant site. 110gph oil-free if i remember correct.

Thats an interesting concept, i never thought to make it fully recirculating.. anyway to answer your question it is a basic PPK with a volume res (275gal) attached to a control bucket via float valve.

picture.php

picture.php

gmanwho

Veteran
Thanks!

Thats an interesting concept, i never thought to make it fully recirculating.. anyway to answer your question it is a basic PPK with a volume res (275gal) attached to a control bucket via float valve.

/quote]

by your drawing it looks like you are circulating back to the 27 gal rez. what i was wondering was if the lower ppk bucket was connecting back to the "27 gal control bucket". and it is

u got a full circle there, i dig it. that way there will be no drastic ph shift and or excess nute concentration in the lower ppk bucket.

was just remembering about the water farm days.

cant wait till those are 50 days in!! appreciate sharing your story.

Speed of green

got it, I thought you meant recirculate back through the 275's. That would make it more like flood&drain or rdwc where you could monitor the rise and fall of the e.c. although you would probably need complete res changes every now and then.

anyway it got me thinking of a design. The hardest part of all this was getting both pads completely level for the ppk to work right. if the system would work plant sites being at different elevations that would be a game changer for me.

ill update this as things progress.

Thanks for watching!

Desert Hydro

Veteran
whats up dude? glad to see you are back in action. for a while there is was feeling cursed. bad coco that was salty as hell and a bunch of other issues. got it all sorted out and things are looking AMAZING now. this is by far the best canopy ive ever had ever, even running about 9 strains. scrog is alot of work but worth it in the end for the ability to make an even canopy out of all different plant shapes.

im 8 weeks out from a fantastic looking grow. getting excited now

the clones are getting ready for the PPKs currently. shits going down!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180210_192153.jpg
    MVIMG_20180210_192153.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 11
  • MVIMG_20180210_192221.jpg
    MVIMG_20180210_192221.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 10

gmanwho

Veteran
got it, I thought you meant recirculate back through the 275's. That would make it more like flood&drain or rdwc where you could monitor the rise and fall of the e.c. although you would probably need complete res changes every now and then.

anyway it got me thinking of a design. The hardest part of all this was getting both pads completely level for the ppk to work right. if the system would work plant sites being at different elevations that would be a game changer for me.

ill update this as things progress.

Thanks for watching!

might not be the answer you are looking for, but i shim my lower ppk buckets with wood 2x4 s or 1x3 's .

2 pieces of wood spread out, just enough length to fit under the bucket, an not to long to prevent accidental kicking of the wood blocks.

i think 16in long works. can use 4x4's for taller applications. or stack an screw together multiple pieces.

thou i think the rigid pvc may pose a slight problem. but i bet its still workable.

Speed of green

whats up dude? glad to see you are back in action. for a while there is was feeling cursed. bad coco that was salty as hell and a bunch of other issues. got it all sorted out and things are looking AMAZING now. this is by far the best canopy ive ever had ever, even running about 9 strains. scrog is alot of work but worth it in the end for the ability to make an even canopy out of all different plant shapes.

im 8 weeks out from a fantastic looking grow. getting excited now

the clones are getting ready for the PPKs currently. shits going down!
Nice man, stoked for you! ill be watching!

Hi
Very nice greenhouse you have :biggrin:
Wish you lot of buds.
:lurk:
Big up
Thanks! i appreciate it.

might not be the answer you are looking for, but i shim my lower ppk buckets with wood 2x4 s or 1x3 's .

2 pieces of wood spread out, just enough length to fit under the bucket, an not to long to prevent accidental kicking of the wood blocks.

i think 16in long works. can use 4x4's for taller applications. or stack an screw together multiple pieces.

thou i think the rigid pvc may pose a slight problem. but i bet its still workable.
Yeah i have a wooden pad at each plant site, its doable, just getting 15 plant sites withing 1/4" of eachother over a span of 130' is the time consuming part lol, especially when you get to dig down through compacted road base.

gmanwho

Veteran
Yeah i have a wooden pad at each plant site, its doable, just getting 15 plant sites withing 1/4" of eachother over a span of 130' is the time consuming part lol, especially when you get to dig down through compacted road base.

just an opinion, i do not think there is reason to obsess over the lower ppk water height. ive done 4-5 inches below rim, and 1 in below lower bucket rim(by accident). an they all worked. personally i liked the lower water levels. so thats why i raise the buckets with 2x4's. and u cant change the floors in my room either, so thats why u go up for an adjustment, not down. leave the higher buckets/ or end of the run flat on the board. then raise the lower buckets to meet the others.

orrrrrr. split the run up into sections, instead of doing one control rez per row. cut the run in half, or thirds, put a new control rez an float per section.

But ya 130' is along way to grade.....

:lurk:

Speed of green

I have a couple plants, All the same strain that are looking a little droopy.

The droop looks to start at the top of the plant.

They get watered 1/2-3/4 quart every 20 minutes.

They have been on this watering schedule for over 30 days.

Recently i have had overcast and cooler weather ~last week

The roots appear to be healthy, white and strong, i did not see any pests although i did not use a magnifying glass or loupe.

So far i have added SM-90 to the system and volume reservoir and changed the watering schedule to a quart every 90 minutes.

I was thinking that maybe over the last month the plants have had such explosive growth that maybe the tail piece has been clogged by roots causing the frequent waters to backup and overwater the pots? Any ideas? hoping its not root rot or fusarium.

Healthy plant
picture.php

droopy plant
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Speed of green

There are roots coming from the tail piece. some have 2-3" roots. some have 12-14" roots.

when the tailpiece is clogged how many roots are coming out of the tailpiece?

Mr Blah

You don't want this. No roots should be coming out of the tailpiece.
I blame my bottom root growth on the 2 month veg and 9week flower.
I see roots on about 50% of the vegging plants I take out of veg room and place in flower chambers.

If the temps of the water are high that "could" be a reason for the droop.

Rip the roots away from the bottom of tailpipe. Just don't take the screen off the tailpipe. and flower them monsters. If flowering more than a couple of months you may want to make a plan on how you will look and see into the bottom bucket if the roots are finding their way back down. My .02

Love the houses and always wanted to try PPK in my greenhouse up here in Maine.

Attachments

• IMG_3872.jpg
    IMG_3872.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4071.jpg
    IMG_4071.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 8