What's new

Please help me explain; convicts cannot vote in the US?!

dragongrower

Hey there.
So I was watching the news and they said Florida is gonna vote to make it possible for convicted people to be able to vote again..

If you have been to prison, you cannot vote anymore?!?!
Holy crap that is un-democratic!!! :O

They also said it is possible to be allowed to vote again, but that it takes around 5 years to get the permit again..??

This I am unable to understand.. Please help me understand the reason for it. Cannot see how there can be a good reason for this..

Peace

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yes, when you get to prison some of your constitutional rights go to the bin for life.

Wendull C.

Veteran
In the US, any reason those in power can use to take away your individual liberties and disenfranchise someone, they will use.

It creates a revolving door of felons who cannot find work, end up committing more crimes, and end up back in prison to feed the corporate for profit prisons we have here.

If you can make it without going down again, they are happy taking your right to vote and bear arms.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Plenty of people vote after doing time.

It depends on the state too.

But there is vested interest in keeping packed prisons overflowing.

If you can't change anything then it will stay the same.

No vote no hope no problem.

Don't forget... It's not personal, just business.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Does it really matter? It's not like the one with the most votes,wins anyway.

dufous

The loss of voting rights goes back to ancient times when only men holding property were allowed to vote. Since getting convicted of a crime also resulted in the loss of your property, you lost your voting rights as well.

It's called felony disenfranchisement.

CaptainDankness

Felons don't even keep their second amendment. If felons had an opportunity to make a real change the prison industrial complex would fall in no time.

Shit, it's very hard for a convicted felon to find a honest job. Thankfully I never got caught, but most of my friends have felony convictions. After a while you can get your rights back, but it ain't easy.

Keep the rich people voting and the poor in prisons.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTCAUNKBjtI

Gry

Veteran
A closer look at the history of [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]disenfranchisement on a state by state basis will show it has a great deal to do with the price of labor.
A well connected individual is often quite able to have all their rights restored, up to and including clearances.

[/FONT]

ambertrichome

Veteran
Im in Ky, have a Federal conviction. Did from 97-2009 with the feds. No voting for me.

NON VIOLENT weed growing conviction. NO weapons.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
depends on the state, and the crime. in some states felons may apply to regain voting rights after serving sentence/probation etc. in other states you automatically regain them IF your crime was not violent or sexual in nature. some places...you are fucked for life.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I still vote, not that it makes a difference.
I am on the books for a pipeline explosion that cost $33,000,000 to fix. That made no difference either. The $1,000,000 museum heist was donated to the cause but also made no real impact.
Voting and crime, neither makes an impact on established institutions.

The institutional murder of minorities has an impact, but that is done by the very folks we are trying to get rid of.

I still vote but other activities have slowed due to age and infirmity. I am prepared for one last act but the authorities are waiting for me to die naturally instead of cooperating as they did in the past.

A large part of my attitude is the fact that America has a higher percentage of criminals than any other country on Earth. People being people no matter where they are I blame this on the folks in charge, may they die a horrible death.

This seemed a political thread, normally I only speak of gardening.

~star~crash~

The loss of voting rights goes back to ancient times when only men holding property were allowed to vote. Since getting convicted of a crime also resulted in the loss of your property, you lost your voting rights as well.

It's called felony disenfranchisement.

it sure as fuk is!! the system is stacked in favor of those who run it !!!

shithawk420

Veteran
But at the same time illegal's are allowed to vote.buddy of mine got his gun rights back with a pardon from the governor after 20 something years.pulled an OJ Simpson after taking his shit back with a gun from the thief that stole from him.but hey he's legal now and shoots guns and makes bombs with his cop neighbors.whatta world

shithawk420

Veteran
I still vote, not that it makes a difference.
I am on the books for a pipeline explosion that cost $33,000,000 to fix. That made no difference either. The $1,000,000 museum heist was donated to the cause but also made no real impact.
Voting and crime, neither makes an impact on established institutions.

The institutional murder of minorities has an impact, but that is done by the very folks we are trying to get rid of.

I still vote but other activities have slowed due to age and infirmity. I am prepared for one last act but the authorities are waiting for me to die naturally instead of cooperating as they did in the past.

A large part of my attitude is the fact that America has a higher percentage of criminals than any other country on Earth. People being people no matter where they are I blame this on the folks in charge, may they die a horrible death.

This seemed a political thread, normally I only speak of gardening.

WTF?need more info if that's ok.that sounds like a hell of a story

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

there's something you can apply for from every state, in NY state it's called a 'Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities' and similarly so in all the other states.

convicts, even felons have a chance to have their right to vote (& own guns) restored if they can show they've been rehabilitated.......

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, when you get to prison some of your constitutional rights go to the bin for life.

Actually, those Rights are only binned while a ward of the State. All Right are supposed to be restored once ‘time’ is served including parole/probation.

Rights are never permitted.
If you have to have permission, it’s not a Right but rather a privilege.

Latest posts

Latest posts