What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabinoid CBG strains?

Easy7

Veteran
Curious about the cannabinoid CBG.

I have never used tested cannabis. So my experience with known cannabis is lacking.

What can you tell me about CBG and strains with CBG?

I read subcool has cbg strains. Who else? Word is subcool strains lack strength.

Please inform and a kind thank you!

mushroombrew

Veteran
I just tested a strain with 1.6% CBG. 24% total cannabinoids.

But that's all I got on the subject. I was surprised for sure.

isn't it a pre cursor, add the (forgotten at the moment) enzymatic catalyst n you've got cbd or thc I believe.
Not sure on any sort of medical or psychptropic effect though.
prob find that info around htough.

cheers,.....................................................gps

G

Gr33nSanta

I had a strain with 2% CBG, I am letting it go because I do not really like the way it grew. I am not sure I could really notice the effects of CBG. I think you would need a strain with over 5% CBG to feel the effects.

I am not sure any strains are over 5%, perhaps GW might have one, but otherwise you would need some sort of expensive equipment to isolate CBG anyhow.

If you are really wanting a strain high in CBG you would have to create it via selective breeding and I am not sure CBG is valuable enough to bother, time will tell.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I had a strain with 2% CBG, I am letting it go because I do not really like the way it grew. I am not sure I could really notice the effects of CBG. I think you would need a strain with over 5% CBG to feel the effects.

I am not sure any strains are over 5%, perhaps GW might have one, but otherwise you would need some sort of expensive equipment to isolate CBG anyhow.

If you are really wanting a strain high in CBG you would have to create it via selective breeding and I am not sure CBG is valuable enough to bother, time will tell.

We just do not fully understand enough about cannabinoids to know.

In the near future I hope to isolate Cannabinoids to create tailored blends. And Blends for treatment of different cancer cells.

The next 10 years we will see so much new information. The entourage effect etc.

So much to learn about this amazing plant.

Easy7

Veteran
Who knows, they could totally synthesize cannabinoids and terps for vape juice. That's not where my history with cannabis comes from. Who knows what the future kids will do?

As for CBG, what I read hints at anti-anxiety and anti-spasm effects. Also some anti cancer effects, and maybe some more stuff.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
OGKB 2.0 tests near 2% CBGa and over30% total cannabinoids.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Easy7

Veteran
Help me identify some qualities to smoked herb with cbg.

Is it giddy? Relaxed? Can't figure why some smoke is trippy verses other qualities.

PDX Dopesmoker

Help me identify some qualities to smoked herb with cbg.

Is it giddy? Relaxed? Can't figure why some smoke is trippy verses other qualities.

Go to the thread Betterhaff linked to and ask socioecologist some questions, he has material thats testing at over 40% cbga

Thanks PDX and Betterhalf, just saw this thread. Here are the test results (trimmed flower and rosin) from our outdoor production this season. Hardly any terpenes to speak of (0.2%).

picture.php
picture.php

This plant is now a grandma...the new generation of pure CBG plants we developed have much higher overall cannabinoid / terpene content (drying the first tester now). The effects of CBG are ... difficult to describe, but unmistakeable--it's a more profound experience than CBD. Definitely a head change, but still not psychoactive...more like focused clarity. I'm high strung and it makes me feel relaxed and calm, while still in control of my consciousness. The physical relaxation is its defining feature; hard work takes a toll on your body day after day, and CBG dabs are powerful enough to reverse full blown muscle spasms for an hour or more (depends on the user). It has saved our crew on the days we overdo it (most).

And just to head off the inevitable questions, yes, they will eventually be available, but no not right now, not even 1 to try etc. etc. We're running field trials on the improved versions this summer, with seed sales to hemp farmers in 2019. Due to its incredibly low THC content (essentially undetectable in flower form), it will set the already exponentially growing hemp industry on fire. Stoked to be paddling into this one...

Last edited:
Next generation CBG variety finishing up (F2 derived from the pure CBG line above). This one is autoflowering.

picture.php

There are some really unique characteristics that pop up in pure CBG lines. The trichomes have a distinct silver color; this was noted by De Meijer et al. (2009) when describing the GW CBG varieties. We can reliably pick them out just by visual appearance now (but obviously still use HPLC and genomic screens as well)--they are striking.

Also, the resin is not sticky in the same way as pure THC or CBD chemotypes. It feels a bit like slightly sticky sandpaper. We trimmed a couple hundred pounds of CBG flower with 3 inline Twister T4s without ever having to clean the barrels due to resin build up; THC / CBD requires an alcohol soak every 1-2 hours of run time.

The conversion rate of CBGa to decarboxylated CBG is a super shitty 53%. THCa to THC and CBDa to CBD are both around 88%. This means we'll need to produce roughly twice as much CBGa as we need of CBG, so tens of thousands of acres of ultra high oil content plants are required.

Easy7

Veteran
Again, so what about influence on intoxication?

Also what are some older strains that may of brought the CBG?

Nobody has been working with hemp into drug lines for eons.

PDX Dopesmoker

Thanks PDX and Betterhalf, just saw this thread. Here are the test results (trimmed flower and rosin) from our outdoor production this season. Hardly any terpenes to speak of (0.2%).

View Image View Image

This plant is now a grandma...the new generation of pure CBG plants we developed have much higher overall cannabinoid / terpene content (drying the first tester now). The effects of CBG are ... difficult to describe, but unmistakeable--it's a more profound experience than CBD. Definitely a head change, but still not psychoactive...more like focused clarity. I'm high strung and it makes me feel relaxed and calm, while still in control of my consciousness. The physical relaxation is its defining feature; hard work takes a toll on your body day after day, and CBG dabs are powerful enough to reverse full blown muscle spasms for an hour or more (depends on the user). It has saved our crew on the days we overdo it (most).

And just to head off the inevitable questions, yes, they will eventually be available, but no not right now, not even 1 to try etc. etc. We're running field trials on the improved versions this summer, with seed sales to hemp farmers in 2019. Due to its incredibly low THC content (essentially undetectable in flower form), it will set the already exponentially growing hemp industry on fire. Stoked to be paddling into this one...

socioecologist, thanks for showing up and giving us a briefing, your updates are always exciting and these ones were no different. I guess we can only assume that CBG has a higher melting point if it have stiffer resin glands. Do you have to heat up the nail extra for it? Have you formed an opinion on how CBG affects THC intoxication? Do you feel like your youthful "drug experimentation" was actually valuable career research?

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

View Image View Image

Any info about the terpene composition?

So no one knows how it affects the effects?

Sucks never having used tested herbs.

I tried describing the effects of pure CBG plants above, sorry if not clear. It is non-psychoactive in pure botanical form. If you are asking how CBG modulates THC, that is a difficult question since most of the THC experience is actually driven by terpenes. We've experimented with some THC and CBG oils (and CBD) and there are definitely some sweet spots in terms of generated experience from consumption (super small sample size). We need a lot more data to really understand it all.

PDX: one of the grim realities of my day-to-day is still experimental consumption of unknown, potentially psychotropic substances. It's been a slow and steady burn in that regard.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
found three tests on my seeds from Mich today and they were all pretty high in GBG and CBGa.

made me happy that my OGKB bagseed male passes this CBG trait along so well in his progeny.

San Fernando Valley Breath test results
CBC 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBG 0.25 % ± 0.10
CBD 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBDa 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBN 0.01 % ± 0.10
THCV 0.01 % ± 0.10
Δ8-THC 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBGa 3.12 % ± 0.10
THCa 28.12 % ± 0.10
Δ9-THC 0.55 % ± 0.10
Moisture Content 12.18%

Gorilla Breath #1 test results
CBC 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBG 0.17 % ± 0.10
CBD 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBDa 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBN 0.01 % ± 0.10
THCV 0.01 % ± 0.10
Δ8-THC 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBGa 2.01 % ± 0.10
THCa 23.69 % ± 0.10
Δ9-THC 0.88 % ± 0.10
Moisture Content 12.75%

Gorilla Breath #2 test results
CBC 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBG 0.29 % ± 0.10
CBD 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBDa 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBN 0.01 % ± 0.10
THCV 0.01 % ± 0.10
Δ8-THC 0.01 % ± 0.10
CBGa 1.96 % ± 0.10
THCa 20.23 % ± 0.10
Δ9-THC 0.92 % ± 0.10
Moisture Content 11.91%

picture.php

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Ace seeds Panama Goddess has significant levels of CBG . They have test results on their website. Peace