What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Choosing a Good R.O. Filter?

I'm looking to get a Reverse Osmosis Filter for my rdwd. Can anyone give me suggestion or what your using? Ideally it will get water down to 0PPM or close to zero. It is just for hydro, but if I can drink it that is good to. :comfort:

Budget is flexible. I only need maybe like for 100gal system, and if I'm changing maybe once a week and topping here and there. Then a 100Gallon per day system should be enough. But shop here has 100gal system $350, and 300gal system $400. So maybe I just get the bigger one for $40-50 more.

I do not really know like what filter is in this and how much it works. Do I need upgrade filter like this one (below) for better or zero ppm? "HydroLogic KDF85/Catalytic Carbon upgrade filter"

And I will like to get the ratio for restrictor to save some water, is this good?

I also found this model, Hydrologic 31051 Triton DI100 GPD Aquarium Water Filtration System, and it says in description it is 000PPM. But I don't see this one in stock anywhere. And is aquarium R.O. filter water okay to drink?.. because it says for aquarium system. Or I do not need this one for hydro?

I am looking at this one, brand is, Hydrologic.
HydroLogic 300GPD Stealth-RO300 Reverse Osmosis Water Filter

HydroLogic created the Stealth RO300 reverse osmosis water filtration system to help gardeners maximize plant nutrient uptake and get the best possible growing results. This system removes over 98% of lockout-inducing contaminants from water and is ideal for hydroponic and traditional hobbyists growing organically. Leading the industry in efficiency the Stealth has a 2:1 waste to product water ratio. Optional 1:1 ratio flow restrictor saves 50% more waste water. Optional high flow, low pressure, cold water membrane increases production to 400 GPD for Stealth RO™ 300. Customized for gardening and hydroponics. The Stealth RO™ 300 produces 300 GPD of ultra pure water.

:huggg:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm on year 3'ish? of use with a Stealth R/O-100. Works great and can be upgraded to an r/o-200 rather easily. I recommend changing the pre-filters once a year while the ro filter replacement will depend on how hard your water is. Mine was still perfectly fine when I replaced it at year 3. (I'd let the unit sit around for a year unused and replaced all the filters before using it again, just to be sure)

btw, the 100gpd is when it's running 24hrs. Depending on your water pressure, you may not get the full 100g in 24hrs. At 40psi, the r/o-100 took about 2.5hrs (with a 1:1 output) to fill a 5 gallon jug. It's about 1.75hrs at 80psi, if I remember correctly. (I currently have around 90-100psi of water pressure. crazy agricultural area. lol

Self Sufficient ..Wow that's cheap price for that purewaterclub one.

Douglas.Curtis .. Yes I was reading that to, they output a little less water than what they write. Is your PPM coming out at Zero with just the regular Stealth R/O-100?

RB56

Veteran
Been using a Stealth 150 for about a year and like it a lot. Think it's replaced the 100. 0 ppm. I use it for mixing nutrient solutions AND ran a direct line to the grow's misting humidifier - keeps things nice and clean. Also ran a line upstairs to the kitchen sink for drinking,

Douglas.Curtis

Self Sufficient ..Wow that's cheap price for that purewaterclub one.

Douglas.Curtis .. Yes I was reading that to, they output a little less water than what they write. Is your PPM coming out at Zero with just the regular Stealth R/O-100?
I believe the unit hit around 4ppm, after a couple years of use, before I quit using it the last time (tap ppms up to 550). Currently, with new filters and a tap ppm of 150 and a line pressure of 80psi, it's putting out 5ppm. The important part is, even though I've recently moved to a new water supply, I haven't had to change my style of hydro and can eyeball how much pH up I need, according to how much nutrients I just added. :tiphat: R/O is just awesome for growing. :) Love to hear people picking one up for their grows.

The plant response to the same levels of nutrients, pH response and predictability of changes in nutrient strength are as close to 100% the same, as they've been in every other location/state I've grown in with r/o. :dance013:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Understand that among the biggest truth stretchers are RO GPD

These figures are based on 24 hour filtration

You might have a 100 gpd system with a < 3 gallon storage tank. Once it's full the system STOPS producing. Once the tank is drained it takes several hours to refill

Purity of product water (the water after the RO) is a factor of ppms going in and water pressure. The higher the ppms and the lower the pressure the higher the ppms of the product water, post filter. I suggest a booster pump for maximum rejection

I looked at the model you mention and it's no big deal!

If you plan on connecting under your kitchen sink you will only have room for a ~ 3 gallon storage tank. If free standing in a room, you can have a much larger storage tank

I use this under sink, and yes, it's good for drinking BUT you need to add minerals back, like Sea 90 minerals which is sea minerals without the salt

https://www.123filter.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=70_1_65&products_id=88

PetFlora thank you for clarifying. I think I'm better to get a little bit bigger unit then to be safe.

I believe my water from tap is approx. 300-350PPM range and 6-8PH range. (Reading report... I did not test yet with meter.)

That is cool! I was wondering, but not know that you had to add minerals back to water. I thought maybe but I didn't know what... like for drinking water.

I was watching video of stealth ro system (the one I post first), and it seems it can just hook up to faucet with a regular hose for input, and output is a simple water hose with a t-valve. That hose I can put into a container..

I want to put it into maybe a big container like the 50-60gal chemical container, with a float valve. (I see people say float valve, I still have to see how to set up because I do not know. I think this will work better and less work for me.) Then maybe I can use a sub-pump when I need to change water, and just pump it out of that container and into my main reservoir.
....So far that is easiest way I can think about getting water from the RO-system to the reservoir.

Bobby Boucher

it's good for drinking BUT you need to add minerals back

You also need to run it through a tube full of marbles. This guy..

Enjoy your RO water how it is, perfectly crisp and clean.. Get yourself a nice cold water dispenser and toss the jugs straight on. Chug some tap from the bathroom faucet once in awhile if you are that worried about it, or better yet keep a balanced diet full of veggies and proteins.

:moon:

Douglas.Curtis

You also need to run it through a tube full of marbles. This guy..

Enjoy your RO water how it is, perfectly crisp and clean.. Get yourself a nice cold water dispenser and toss the jugs straight on. Chug some tap from the bathroom faucet once in awhile if you are that worried about it, or better yet keep a balanced diet full of veggies and proteins.

:moon:
Yarrr... :) Leave your clean water alone, it's perfect as is for plants and people. lol

50 gallon, food safe, HDPE plastic drum, a $15 pump and about $15 in food grade hose. Oh yeah, a float valve shutoff mounted inside the drum. I always have plenty of r/o available. ;)

Gry

Been reading some real sad stories about water contaminates showing up all over in water that is being used on crops.

haha yes Bobby eat a good money and don't worry about it!

Douglas perfect! Float Valve easy to install :). Need to get a drain stop valve of some sort or it keeps draining water to.

Gry what do you mean? Like Food crops? Medicinal crops? Personal Grows? Is that water from using a RO system, or just bad tap water?

Bobby Boucher

Need to get a drain stop valve of some sort or it keeps draining water to.

Not sure what you mean by this, but if you are implying what I think you are, then probably not, no. One float valve should do the trick. System should have an Automatic Shut Off pre-installed which prevents the system from continuing to push dirty water out of the "drain" once water in the "clean" line has been stopped off by the float valve. Voodoo magic.

Thanks guys! yeah I don't know, I saw in a video guy was saying you need an "auto shut off valve " to stop dirty water from continuing to flow.

Guy at store was also very helpful, he told me I only need a float valve. So I got that and Stealth RO unit, and also KDF filter I bought extra because it's better than coconut green.

So Thanks you guys were very helpful! :)