What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do I do with 100s of last year's lbs

Humboldt-hermit

Yeah so I have basicly my whole harvest from last year. Its nice and been sealed properly I just don't know anyone anymore. I'm hella stressed I spent my whole bank roll just paying the trimmers to trim it up. And on the grow expenses for the whole season plus this season. And now I've been stuck with it all season and it's time to trim up this year's crop. I have so much invested in the product im shitting my pants here. I'm worried it's getting to old. Lately I have been thinking that is going to turn soon. So I'm thinking maybe my only savior could be to extract it so that it can have a longer shelf life and I could maybe sell it slowly over the year. At this rate in thinking I won't even grow next season just continue to move all this product until i have none left. What would you do if you were me??

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
In a world awash with low quality mids, the laws of survival and economics dictate that you must create a higher quality product than the majority of your competition. There are lots of ways with different tech to do this. So get ready to spend hundreds of hours reading and eventually drop $$,$$$ to efficiently process that much weight. Welcome to the forums!!!

WFF

AspenGas

Damn Hermit,
Is your real name Rip Van Winkle?
If you're still sitting on 100's of 2016 outdoor packs, you must have fallen asleep under a tree after harvest and just woke up to not realize you are in big trouble.

The fresh harvest that just came in is one of the biggest in CA history and is estimated at 8x in-state demand.
Prices have been dropping all year long, and with the recent failure of CA regulators to implement a limit on the # of acres that can be put into production on the largest rec licenses, 2018 is shaping up to be the introduction of industrial cannabis we have all been dreading for years.

The market in your state is currently about 50% flower, 50% concentrate, and the majority of the concentrate is being sold for vape pens.
Many growers have been sending their entire harvest to be fresh-frozen and converted to oil.

Oregon had a bumper crop last year and this year, and they have had a serious impact on CA black market export.

Your packs have been going down in value every month since you harvested them, even without current market conditions.

If you don't know anybody, you need to meet some people and hopefully somebody can help you move your product for a percentage.

About this years crop, you should negotiate to pay your trimmers in weed instead of cash (2016 packs).
You are weed rich and cash poor.

Assuming you are seeking a legal Rec cultivation license, the opportunity next year for most smaller growers is to differentiate yourself with unique high quality strains and market yourself effectively to create your own demand.

Good luck.

Yeah so I have basicly my whole harvest from last year. Its nice and been sealed properly I just don't know anyone anymore. I'm hella stressed I spent my whole bank roll just paying the trimmers to trim it up. And on the grow expenses for the whole season plus this season. And now I've been stuck with it all season and it's time to trim up this year's crop. I have so much invested in the product im shitting my pants here. I'm worried it's getting to old. Lately I have been thinking that is going to turn soon. So I'm thinking maybe my only savior could be to extract it so that it can have a longer shelf life and I could maybe sell it slowly over the year. At this rate in thinking I won't even grow next season just continue to move all this product until i have none left. What would you do if you were me??

M

moose eater

You could always donate it to Jerry's Kids!! :biggrin: (just kidding).

Every place that's gone legal, to one extent or another, is experiencing shifting markets.

AspenGas, Patmando, and WaterFarmFan above shared varying degrees of helpful insights.

Are you starting to miss the old black market days yet?? :biggrin:

I suspect in the near future, some of us will be asking retail shop personnel to step out back into the alley and speak in whispers, just so we can reminisce.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
remember the old album cover........"HEAD EAST"............that's were the $ is.............

ganj on........

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

As has been noted above, your product continues to degrade and devalue, so I would suggest making a concentrate out of it.

If it is last years harvest, much of the chlorophyll will have converted to brown pheophytin, which will make the extract dark.

If the darker concentrate isn't readily marketable, there are some alternatives, such as bleaching it, making Clear, or growing crystals, which there is a market for.

rolandomota

grow something new and exotic instead of the same old staples and mash ups that everone has. The price aint going up get to know more people sell ounces of bud or kief for cheap since everyone and their grandmother can buy it now. Its legal to give away samples thats a good way to get to know lots of people its not illegal to give them a gram and your number

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
As much as I hate moon rocks, why not dry sift the lot of last years harvest, turn three quarters into a quick wash oil then make moon rocks with seconds from this years harvest. If you were to do this, I would do a couple test batches before turning the lot into these though. Probably the best bang for your buck of taking two lower quality products and making them slightly more attractive to yuppies. Or you can also skip the bud part and just make jelly hash, clean up the dry sift well, mix with your oil but I am not sure how desirable your market is for this.

I might also suggest tumble it all, clean it up and sell to someone making edibles, usually a good market for edibles and quality can be less than top shelf flowers while still making a decent result. You may even consider finding people who make salves, tinctures etc who would like materials for those purposes. You're going to take a hit on the price I would imagine but it may be the easiest way to move a large amount in a short period, gel caps can be easy to make with equipment but takes investment.

Bubble hash or dry sift then rosin is also a great idea assuming you have good flavour, if you know people who extract or people who know extractors maybe you guys can make a deal they process it, sell it for you and take a percentage of it in return, hit on the price but last years problem is gone at least.

WishDoctor

2016 harvest 100lbs of degraded sleepy weed...lmao, thanks for he morning funny!!!

it makes great goat food! chickens will eat it too...

al70

Veteran
Post to this address..
420 anywhere drive
nowhere close
north

i'll b waitin, wish i had that problem, goodluck.

mushroombrew

Veteran
If it's that old extracts will be crap colored as mentioned before.

Maybe you should see if there is a market for RSO in your area? Color is always dark anyway.

pnw bb

You have lots of options are are far from screwed here.
I definitely DONT recommend NOT growing next year. Countless times have i hit a stall in sales but once they got going again it was nice to have a stock of inventory.

yes, last years stuff is worth alot less than it was but theres lots of hope still.

anyone saying rosin, dry sift or water hash i feel is giving you bad advice. older material makes lower quality products and then your sitting on low quality hash and your out any costs and time wasted on that. and the yield from those methods compared to bho/distillate are not comparable.

Processing your material for "clear" or distillate is the best choice in my opinion. with a demand for clean distillate at an all time high and only growing it seems an easy choice.

with many processors(like myself) are willing to work on a percent of total yield, you could get your end product for zero upfront cost. many even have options where they buy your end product if you're not interested in distributing.

Tips:

-find a processor with a good reputation so that your not left hanging when it times to pick up your end.

-be clear about timeline expectations: as some may say they are able to process 200# but it takes them 2 months while others can do that in less than a week.

-many even give a down payment for material received that can help if your short on cash.

-Also i recommend having your fresh material processed asap to retain its higher value

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you don't know people and aren't willing to go out and hustle it - doesn't matter what you do with it...
make hash, wax, vape carts, edibles, canna-caps.... still gotta know someone who wants it all no matter what form its in

Latest posts

Latest posts