What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

framing to finish 5400W med-grow

I

irie-i

it has come time to put back in what i got out... out of CW and ICmag, and out of my earnings from being part of a compassion club.

the building that has the med-garden had a leaky roof, rotten rafters and plate.
i am rebuilding, and sealing the room.

with the help of friends and family (hired help) i tore off the old cedar shake roof and plywood walls

the shell:

we lifted the wall and slid a new plate in. the new roof went on, a metal roof, and new exterior walls, plywood.

then i insulated and sealed with 6 mil vapour barrier:

and drywalled and mudded today:

tomorrow i have to tend to my outdoor gardens and then i shall return for painting. i'll be priming with zinsser's 1-2-3, and painting with debbie travis brand satin latex.

i think this shall be fun to share with y'all. i guess its more of a diary, but i think im more concerned presently with sharing my design and equipment.

so, pull up a chair, twist up a fatty (i prefer organic) and lets learn

irie-i

meduser180056

Awesome this is gonna be great.

I'm gonna be watching this one.

That's one of my dreams to actually build the room yourself.

Desiging everything you'll need for your set up instead of having to bend your setup to the room.

so how much for flowering and how much for veg? What kinda space you working with?

Sealed room style is the way to go good idea there.

keep us posted.

all_is_1

looks excellent. . . I'm about to start framing for a much larger garden than this and originally I wasn't going to be as intense as your doing it but I've rethought it. . . drywall is really the way to go for a totally airtight climate controlled environment. . . Panda film works but not as well. Inspirational!

What system are you going to use? I'm thinking of starting off with straight drip into coco/perlite. I got 550 grams off a tray with coco/perlite under a 600W bulb with no Co2 using white buffalo (local NE strain) and it'll be hard to go wrong. I want to go hydro but I haven't used organics in hydro before and don't want to risk it for the first time. Anyways, keep up the good work bud. Peace

I

irie-i

ill be growing organic in pro-mix, i've posted all over the organic soil forum my compost tea recipe. 40 plants per table/3x600w.

the room is 12x16, all for flower. i buy the clones from a friend for $5 apiece, well rooted in beer cups. my strain came from a west coast compassion club and were sold as "soma." i'm not sure but they do look a little like lavender. they only need to veg a week or less, and flower in 8-9 1/2 weeks.

I got 550 grams off a tray with coco/perlite under a 600W bulb with no Co2

sounds too good to be true, but i believe it. thats double what ive been yeilding! tell me more

i'm the kinda guy to go with what i know works. i dont like to change up too much and add more variables, but i am open minded.

Last edited:

all_is_1

wow man thats crazy that its double what you've been yielding! hmmm. . .

LOTS of fresh air and air movement. PB Nutes all the way with added product called Hygrozyme, fairly high yielding strain (but not even exceptionally high yielding. . . )
pruned right, vegged for 2 weeks in tray.
Honestly there's not too much more to say. I can't imagine how I could be getting so much more unless its the genetics or the nutrients. You absolutely cannot go wrong with PB nutes so maybe do a test run on part of your garden. They're not OMRI or NOP certified organic but I would bet that results would be indistinguishable from certified organic formulas.

I watered around 1000-1200ppm EVERY TIME, watering to the point of saturation, and flushed monthly. No special tricks, no gimmicks. Air cooled 600W digital ballast with hydrofarm reflector.

AHHH your problem might be the genetics. Soma breeds some phenomenal weed--some of the best I've ever smoked. Alas, he is not scientific at all and his strains tend not to yield too well. Anyways, I gotta run. keep the conversation flowing.

strength, unity, and love.
all is 1

I

irie-i

i mudded 2 days ago and today sanded the joints in the drywall. man do i suck at mudding and sanding!

i primed the drywall this afternoon. i fuckin hate painting! much respect to Stoned2death for painting all day long for his job. and to all the drywallers out there too.

this is a rather boring photo of a rather boring job not well done. but i'm stoked to do it myself and i'm excited to be setting up this precious garden of the sacred herb!

meduser180056

Make it happen.

Putting all that personal energy into the room will pay off. I believe in that type of stuff. Especially if you keep in mind your intentions for the space as you create it.

It's looking killer. You've been blessed with a great situation. Take advantage.

If your yields are hurting, I'd go with something super simple that is tried and true. The Pure Blend Pro is good stuff. Fox Farms Ocean Forrest is good as well. Look for a high yielding strain like NLxBB. Have your env. dialed in so your plants dont get stressed. Don't let that room get too hot, too dry, too CO2 deprived, or too humid and I bet your yields will go through the roof. Can't wait to see this one. I hate sanding. That dust gets into everything. Of course mud getting stuck to your body hair is always fun too.

all_is_1

looks pretty pro to me!

seconds to everything Carharttkidd said--except at this late in the game I probably wouldn't want to switch strains--get one under your belt with something you know and get some seeds and start them now for a later grow (or clones since you're in california).

Also, if you would be so kind--could you ask around and see if any of the coffee shops have purple kush clones available? I found a seed in a bud, grew it out, and it is perhaps the best indica strain I've ever smoked--but it grows somewhat deformed due to the fact that it's a hermie seed. I'll fly out to cali and mail myself some clones just to fucking get that strain from a proper breeder. . . so yummy. . . ummm. . .

peace
all's 1

meduser180056

haha that's funny

I'm sitting on a beautiful PK mom from local clubs. I got mine from BPG, but I heard it's also available at SR-71 in Oakand.

This PK is definetly the best strain I have going right now and I'm running a bunch including two other kushes.

I

irie-i

i dont think my yeilds are hurting, i've been averaging the proverbial "pound-a-light" more or less. 5.25 lbs from 9x600w is satisfactory, i think, but i know i can do better.

the strain i 'm growing is very familiar to me.
the pros: very short veg (ive done it in 7 days)
very little leaf, easy to prune and trim
resistant to powdery mildew (it grew next to a dif strain that was covered
and didnt get any)
resistant to insects
POTENT!

the cons: streeeetches
makes bananas (male flowers) and seeds if you look at it funny
stinky!

so for now anyway i'm gonna stick with it. when it arrives at the club, lbs are gone in only a few days. the people love it and spread the word to their friends when it comes in.

Way I figure, you're at .44g/w which isn't horrible, but like you said, there is alot of room for improvement. If it moves good, good times. Its always good when it moves real easy. Just seems to me for the ammount of effort and stress that goes into pulling off a grow, you should be pulling alot more weight. The electric bill is the same. Anyways, can't wait to see the lights turn.

I

irie-i

paint and doorway

paint and doorway

i did a coat of paint today, it only took a couple of hours, and only used 1/2 gallon. i think ill do another coat tomoroow because i have so much paint. im sure when the lights go on ill see how awful my paintjob is.

my posts are getting boring becuase painting is boring. so i'll spice it up a little with a featurette on my entrance way.

a relative helped me build this little "decompression chamber" so i can go in and slide the door shut (the door was like that when i moved here) then open another door to step in the room. so i dont light up the whole neighbourhood. that little room has been where i stored some stuff but i think i'll put my 50 gallon barrel in there. making compost tea in the grow room can get messy. especially with fans blowing powder all over the place. the inside door was designed to be just big enough for the barrel to fit through.

next photo is from inside after i put up the plastic. i painted the rest of the room, just not the chipboard. you can see painted drywall on the left. boooring.

things are startin to pick up, cant wait till the equipment starts goin' up!

i am irie
:rasta:

I

irie-i

tables

tables

i put a second coat on the walls, now i'm done painting the walls!
by the way i used a satin white bathroom latex paint because its mildew resistant and washable

here's one of my tables:

the base is a pallet. the rest is 2x4 and plywood. they have wheels but the wheels are a little too small so they really need to be shoved when the pots are full of water. there is a "through-hull" drain in the end of each table and the tables are slightly sloped.
traditionally i covered the table in panda plastic and replaced it each cycle. the plastic eventually gets little holes and leakes through to the plywood and then onto the floor.

anyone got any suggestions as to what i can paint the tables with to make them waterproof? or another material besides paint?

five_put

Great looking room so far.

You can try using epoxy resin to seal the table. I’ve used it to seal a small swc box that I made before. I originally got the idea from OG. There was a big thread about building and sealing DYI res’s out of epoxy resin.

Anyways, you might want to consider something like that. That room is going to look great once you get some plants in there. :joint:

G

irie-i said:
anyone got any suggestions as to what i can paint the tables with to make them waterproof? or another material besides paint?

I have a table like this and I used a tarp and it has worked...I did see one time at home depot there was this real thick pvc liner for like water heaters and it came in a 4 ft wide roll...you paid by the ft....I was looking at it to cover a 3x8 table...think it was like 5 dollars a ft......my tarp has lasted me the last 4 runs so I'll stick with it till it tears...hope this helps...stay safe and best of luck...I'm glued to this build...

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
irie-i said:

Pond liner...20ml thick and priced pretty decent at your local home improvement store. I think it was like $15 for enough to do a 4x8 table...

Latest posts

Latest posts