Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Word of the Day - New words, and what they mean!

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Zamnesia
Word of the Day - New words, and what they mean! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 AM #1
Gypsy Nirvana
Free'd P.O.W.

Gypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivor
Word of the Day - New words, and what they mean!

Having a proper, rounded vocabulary is a good thing, it really helps us to express ourselves on forum sites such as ICMAG, where the written word is all powerful.

So I am starting this thread around vocabulary so that we can all learn new words and what the words mean daily, to further our education into the English language.

To kick-off and get the ball rolling here is my word of the day:

insouciance
ɪnˈsuːsɪəns
noun
casual lack of concern; indifference.
"an impression of boyish insouciance"
synonyms: nonchalance, unconcern, lack of concern, indifference, heedlessness, relaxedness, calm, calmness, equanimity, coolness, composure, casualness, ease, easy-going attitude, airiness, carefreeness, frivolousness, carelessness; informalcool
"his anxieties increased, despite Jen's insouciance"

What is your word of the day?

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:57 AM #2
troutman

troutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud of
I make it a point to Web search search out word definitions all the time.

I learned the word Fanciful from a lawyer a while back. Now I tend to call most lawyers fanciful.

Quote:
Definition of fanciful
1 :marked by fancy or unrestrained imagination rather than by reason and experience

a fanciful person

a fanciful tale of a monster in the woods

2 :existing in fancy (see 2fancy) only

a fanciful notion

the falsehoods about some fanciful secret treaties
—F. D. Roosevelt

3 :marked by or as if by fancy or whim

gave their children fanciful names
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanciful

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:16 AM #3
Patmando22

Patmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the rough
oleoresin
o·le·o·res·in
ˌōlēōˈrezən/Submit
noun
a natural or artificial mixture of essential oils and a resin, e.g., balsam.
Patmando22 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM #4
Patmando22

Patmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the roughPatmando22 is a jewel in the rough
"Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts."
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)

Old 11-03-2017, 10:30 AM #5
Gypsy Nirvana
Free'd P.O.W.

Gypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivor
"Words are all we have" proclaimed Irish playwright Samuel Beckett not because he made a living out of it but because he understood the potency of words. Words are much more powerful and influential than any weapon and it is a 'weapon of future' that must not be misused.

Words have a longstanding effect on the minds of a listener. They can make the listener his friend or his enemy. From daily household occurrences to nationwide struggle, words are influential in making a long lasting impact. The sarcastic remarks or kind compliments to your friends and family to powerful speeches at national and international forums, the sinew of words can be seen by the effect they have on the listener.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:38 AM #6
Patmando22

Word up

Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM #7
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant futureMJPassion has a brilliant future
This is going to be fun!
Where's Weird at?
Bet he's got some doozies.

Ex·cogi-tate:
-to think out carefully & fully.
-to contrive, devise or invent by such thought.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 11-03-2017, 04:19 PM #8
CosmicGiggle

CosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivor
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmando22 View Post
"Words are pale shadows of forgotten names.....")
My favorite 'new' word is named after an obsolete, soon forgotten, early technological form of communication, the telegraph.

.... so when was the last time anyone sent or received a telegram????

Nowadaze when you see or hear the word 'telegraph' it's used as a verb 'to make known by signs, especially unknowingly and in advance'.

It's funny, now that I'm an 'old person', I'm starting to notice changes like this happening more and more!
CosmicGiggle is offline Quote

Old 11-03-2017, 05:41 PM #9
trichrider
THEORETICAL

trichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond reputetrichrider has a reputation beyond repute
muography

Muography is an imaging technique that produces a projectional image of a target volume by recording elementary particles, called muons, either electronically or chemically with materials that are sensitive to charged particles such as nuclear emulsions. Cosmic rays from outer space generate muons in the Earth’s atmosphere as a result of nuclear reactions between primary cosmic rays and atmospheric nuclei. They are highly penetrative and millions of muons pass through our bodies every day.

"the pyramid of Cheops was muographically analyzed."

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:49 PM #10
Bud Green Sr.
I dig dirt

Bud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivorBud Green Sr. is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Nirvana View Post
Having a proper, rounded vocabulary is a good thing, it really helps us to express ourselves on forum sites such as ICMAG, where the written word is all powerful.

Now you're sounding like my Mom from 50+ years ago...

But because of her, since my mid-20's, there's always been an unabridged dictionary within reach of my desk! And my vocabulary reflects this..
Thanks Mom!

Isn't Mother Nature grand !
Bud Green Sr. is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.