Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Differences in Hydro Systems?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Differences in Hydro Systems? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2017, 05:45 AM #1
BuddyRichTHC

BuddyRichTHC is on a distinguished road
Differences in Hydro Systems?

Firstly, Hello! this is my first time in the forum. I have a few questions, for my first hydro setup?

What's the difference between using

Bubbleponics
55qt Tubs for "deep Water" hydro
5 gal buckets for each plant
4 or 5 inch Tube-style hydro

My understanding is that in each, you need a diffusion stone to move oxygen to the plant roots..... the "soil" including the clay stones has to stay above the surface of the water?

Any help will be appreciated!
BuddyRichTHC is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 AM #2
packerfan79

packerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRichTHC View Post
Firstly, Hello! this is my first time in the forum. I have a few questions, for my first hydro setup?

Bubbleponics

My understanding is that in each, you need a diffusion stone to move oxygen to the plant roots..... the "soil" including the clay stones has to stay above the surface of the water?

If you haven't got a good handle on growing in soil, I would start their. I wanted the biggest and baddest hydro setup money could get. Within 4 months I traded it for more lights and started over in soil. Now I run coco exclusively and do quite well in fact.

Not trying to be a bummer just giving you some friendly advice. It sucks when your crop is unsmokable. Soil is easy and forgiving. Hydro is not at all forgiving.
packerfan79 is online now Quote

Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 AM #3
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan79 View Post
If you haven't got a good handle on growing in soil, I would start their. I wanted the biggest and baddest hydro setup money could get. Within 4 months I traded it for more lights and started over in soil. Now I run coco exclusively and do quite well in fact.

Not trying to be a bummer just giving you some friendly advice. It sucks when your crop is unsmokable. Soil is easy and forgiving. Hydro is not at all forgiving.
Or, you can spend 6 months in research like I did and end up growing decent hydro from the beginning. Lucas formula AND Lucas res management methods, for the win. Hydro is stupid simple, and forgiving, when you understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRichTHC

Bubbleponics

Welcome to the wild, wild, world of cannabis cultivation! and to Icmag.

55qt tubs for DWC are difficult to beat. I run a 70 gallon reservoir, with about 45 gallons in it, for a 4x4 tent with a 1k hps. 1 Tub, 1 strain, 1 tent. Keeps top offs and res maintenance simple.

5 gal buckets for each plant, pain in the butt to check each for level of nutes, pH, ppm/ec, etc...

4-5 inch tube style hydro. Grows more like NFT, where root mass heat retention becomes an issue. More areas for biologicals to grow, more plumbing hassles.

Ultimately, I prefer one tub with one strain for each tent.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2017, 02:42 PM #4
PetFlora

PetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to allPetFlora is a name known to all
Number of plants determines most efficient method

Hydroponic Research v Emerald Harvest
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=329619

Just because you weren't taught something doesn't mean it's not true, and vice versa
PetFlora is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:04 PM #5
Rondon

Rondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFlora View Post
Number of plants determines most efficient method
No shit. And amen. Size of your operation and plant count really narrows it down to choices and decisions regarding methods and equipment. Does for me anyways. But it takes someone with experience to even think like that in retrospect.
Rondon is online now Quote

Old 10-23-2017, 06:14 PM #6
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to allDouglas.Curtis is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRichTHC View Post
Legal state, you say? Look around and find a grower who's sharing high quality cannabis. Ask them for advice. It's either this, or spend 6 months seriously studying soil or hydro before you start.

Knowing how to grow when you start, at least the full basics, is so much more rewarding.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:15 PM #7
Rondon

Rondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the roughRondon is a jewel in the rough
Nothing wrong with getting on the good side of an experienced grower in your area if you dont know what your doing. If they let you in and hook you up with how it goes...you got a leg up on just about every other new wluld be grower without that resource. And if its a good grower willing to share experience and skills...save you ALOT of money on expensive fuk ups.
Rondon is online now Quote

Old 10-23-2017, 07:23 PM #8
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant future
Hydroponics are easy to manage for new growers.

Keep res solution below 70 degrees.

Change res weekly

Stay on top of pH

Use good quality nutrients, i.e Botanicare or something similar.

Easy
Lester Beans is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2017, 07:58 PM #9
Douglas.Curtis

K.I.S.S. Method

Lucas DWC and res changeout instructions for beginners.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:49 AM #10
clown baby

clown baby will become famous soon enoughclown baby will become famous soon enough
im going to advocate for ebb and flow, aka flood and drain, for your intro to hydro.

It's idiot proof. East maintenance. Low/No risk of flood. Good results
clown baby is offline Quote