Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Perlite and clay pebbles mix or 100% perlite - Any feedback?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Perlite and clay pebbles mix or 100% perlite - Any feedback? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2017, 09:35 PM #1
noreason
Natural born Grower

noreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant future
noreason has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Perlite and clay pebbles mix or 100% perlite - Any feedback?

Yo guys,

I'm using a simple recirculating hydro setup and at now I always used 100% clay pebbles as medium, like this:

Now I want to try perlite.

How about mixing them like 30% perlite and 70% pebbles?

How about a 100% perlite recirculating system?

Any link or data sheet about perlite and clay pebbles? I would like to know the average interstitial space/volume for both materials, but I don't know how to find 'em.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks

GOD IS THE SUPREME FLOWERING OF INDIVIDUAL AWARENESS.OSHO
Sharing is caring

All posts made by this screen name are absolutely true. All pictures are mine and I don't give a f u c k what your law says.......
noreason is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:02 PM #2
starke

starke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nicestarke is just really nice
Maybe straight perlite with a layer of clay pebbles on top to keep the perlite from floating. People are running all perlite Hempy Buckets so it should work.
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

Current Grow: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=343153&page=9 Page 9 forward
starke is offline Quote

Old 10-22-2017, 12:02 AM #3
noreason
Natural born Grower

noreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant futurenoreason has a brilliant future
Thanks bro, that's a good idea.

Still don't know if try 100% perlite with a top-layer of pebbles or go mixing 'em

Maybe I'll make 4 pots with mixed mediums and 4 pots with 100% perlite and a layer of pebbles and see what happens.

Any input is very welcome guys

Sharing is caring

All posts made by this screen name are absolutely true. All pictures are mine and I don't give a f u c k what your law says.......

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 AM #4
clown baby

clown baby will become famous soon enoughclown baby will become famous soon enough
Perlites fine. But if you're in recirculating like the pic shows, I'd recommend the larger grade. The small stuff is a PITA in your drain fittings and if it makes it back to your reservoir.

IMO the main differences are durability and weight. Also, perlite seems to grow more algae.

Go with whatevers cheaper
clown baby is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:04 AM #5
troutman

troutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud of
Maybe mix the 2 for the bottom half and make a top layer of pure clay pellets.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:35 AM #6
noreason
Natural born Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown baby View Post
Perlites fine. But if you're in recirculating like the pic shows, I'd recommend the larger grade. The small stuff is a PITA in your drain fittings and if it makes it back to your reservoir.
I can't easily find a larger grade, only regular perlite :(

However, using fabric pot, once perlite is washed from dust, I don't think I 'll have any issue with this.

Quote:
IMO the main differences are durability and weight. Also, perlite seems to grow more algae.
Algae are not a problem at all. Pots will be covered with alu foil.

About the weight you're right, perlite is lighter. About durability...well, I just toss it at the end of each run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Maybe mix the 2 for the bottom half and make a top layer of pure clay pellets.
Yep, something like that!

Updates soon

Sharing is caring

Old 11-05-2017, 09:10 PM #7
noreason
Natural born Grower

As I wrote…I'm now trying 2 different clay/perlite mix.

One layer of clay on the bottom and one on the top for both, difference is in the middle, where one is a mix of perlite and some clay pebbles, and the other one is 100% perlite.

Here the clay layer on the bottom

Here the clay layer on the top

Here the ''middle'' part of the 100% perlite

And here the ''middle'' part of the mixed medium

At now, cuttings are vegging and they're fine. No noticeable difference, they just grow fine. Have to wait a couple of months to know more.

Sharing is caring