Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > breeding with multiple males without open pollination

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
breeding with multiple males without open pollination Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 AM #1
Emperortaima

Emperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really nice
breeding with multiple males without open pollination

Just like the title says! Breeding with multiple males without open pollination.... that's more of a question to the community like has anyone been able to accomplish using multiple males in the same area keeping them concealed from dispersing pollen wildly.

I was hypothetically thinking maybe if you used a transparent plastic container that is not pourus with it closed at the bottom like sealed or a transparent bag over to conceal the pollen from unnecessary contact with females.. I've been looking online and can't find anything like maybe no one has attempted it. Not saying I will do this it just came as a thought that could maybe ease someone from having too many plants or whatever so whomever may chop there males after making the next filial generation or outcross in cross etc... and move on to the next project...

If any links exist with any threads that have already accomplished this please guide me thank you guys!

My love for cannabis cannot be put into simple words it is a passion that cannot die - an undying flame!
(RIP JACK HERER THE GREAT HEMPEROR)
-Hemperorsknight/Emperortaima

"Use your martial skill for the good of humanity" -Grandmaster IP

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" -Bruce Lee

Emperortaima is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 06:47 AM #2
Blind Joe Death

Blind Joe Death has a spectacular aura aboutBlind Joe Death has a spectacular aura aboutBlind Joe Death has a spectacular aura aboutBlind Joe Death has a spectacular aura about
Are you talking about multiple males from the same strain or multiple males from multiple strains...if you mean the former I'm pretty sure most people collect pollen and then brush it on the selected females...its not viable for very long and is usually stored in the freezer.
You would either store the pollen mixed together or seperate it, which is mostly a matter of preference.
I would say the same would be done for the latter as well...take the females out and apply pollen as you wish.
I don't think most people keep their males in a tent with females, or if they did it would be in a seperate isolated tent. Then you'd place your females back in the flowering tent.

As for links, checking in the breeders laboratory section you'll find everything you would need I think.

Hope this helps
Blind Joe Death is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:15 AM #3
stoney917
i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD

Location: sPeCial EdUcAtIoN tRaiLoR behind the school with the rest of the window lickers
stoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant future
Cross contamination is inevitable in that sense... U can cut the branches before they burst for collection later but in the same room as females is very risky... If using multiple males and don't want mixed pollen the pollen need to be collected separately and very carefully managed during collection storage n application.. Even being careful it's likely some may travel...
Now you can flower multiple males together but be ready to cut the pods right before they burst n put them on individual screens separated.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 AM #4
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant futureLester Beans has a brilliant future
Sure ...

Collect pollen from male. Delicately brush on selected branch of selected female. Put sandwich bag over branch and seal with rubber band. Let sit overnight. To remove bag, have water sprayer ready, loosen rubber band and carefully spray inside bag. Remove bag, seal, discard. Branch pollinated.

I have had many bags of different pollen on same mother.
Lester Beans is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 08:31 AM #5
Gr33nSanta

Gr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of light
I dont even bag em, I roll the qtip in the pollen , give it a few tap taps to shake excess pollen and I go and pollinate the branch, sometimes I turn off the fans lol. I agree if you want to pollinate one female with more than 1 male you have to be more careful and use bags and water and stuff but that would be too much work for me. Pick a male, use it, kill it, or keep it if you can afford it. On a small scale if you use one male over several females it can take years to go through the seeds anyway so no point getting ahead of yourself with too many males unless you want to make seeds for years and years.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338819
Gr33nSanta is online now Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 AM #6
Emperortaima

Emperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really niceEmperortaima is just really nice
Thank you guys that gave me a much clearer idea of which path I'll pursue. You guys rock!!!

My love for cannabis cannot be put into simple words it is a passion that cannot die - an undying flame!

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" -Bruce Lee

Old 10-12-2017, 11:47 AM #7
djonkoman

djonkoman will become famous soon enoughdjonkoman will become famous soon enoughdjonkoman will become famous soon enough
I also use bags. ordered a bunch of pollination bags from ebay once. I leave the bags on for a week or so, then remove, to reduce risk for mold(I grow outdoor, so the rain makes the bags wet), and hang the bag under the branch as a lable. (it's a kind of paper, so I write on it what pollen I used and at what date I pollinated)

to collect pollen I cut off a male bud and put it in a shotglass over a piece of glossy paper(flyers work great) at a mostly windfree spot.
djonkoman is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:48 AM #8
Emperortaima

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonkoman View Post
I also use bags. ordered a bunch of pollination bags from ebay once. I leave the bags on for a week or so, then remove, to reduce risk for mold(I grow outdoor, so the rain makes the bags wet), and hang the bag under the branch as a lable.

to collect pollen I cut off a male bud and put it in a shotglass over a piece of glossy paper(flyers work great) at a mostly windfree spot.
Thats exactly what I was wanting to know. So you wait for them to start flowering then take a snippet and let it disperse it's pollen to collect and use later?

Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 AM #9
djonkoman

djonkoman will become famous soon enoughdjonkoman will become famous soon enoughdjonkoman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperortaima View Post
Thats exactly what I was wanting to know. So you wait for them to start flowering then take a snippet and let it disperse it's pollen to collect and use later?
yes, pretty much. you have to wait till the balls are about ready to burst though.

you can put it kind of sideways in the shotglass(with water), so all the balls lean over the side above the glossy paper. then gently tap it once a day or so to make the pollen fall down, and when you have a bunch remove the piece of paper and scrape the pollen together. I like to then mix it 50/50 with flour(increases volume, but also makes it dust/blow around less if you accidentally breath on it or there's a draft or so).

also works with collecting some buds/branches on guerilla-spot, take them home and put into a shotglass.

I then store it in the fridge, don't know exactly how long it lasts but I've successfully used pollen that was around 2 months old I guess. pollen from 2-3 years ago was sterile though.
djonkoman is offline Quote

Old 10-12-2017, 11:56 AM #10
Emperortaima

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonkoman View Post
yes, pretty much. you have to wait till the balls are about ready to burst though.

you can put it kind of sideways in the shotglass, so all the balls lean over the side above the glossy paper. then gently tap it once a day or so to make the pollen fall down, and when you have a bunch remove the piece of paper and scrape the pollen together. I like to then mix it 50/50 with flour(increases volume, but also makes it dust/blow around less if you accidentally breath on it or there's a draft or so).

also works with collecting some buds/branches on guerilla-spot, take them home and put into a shotglass.
Thank you! Mind if I ask what indicators to look for when the balls are about to bust? This will be my first time using pollen to breed with, btw I appreciate your tips very much!