What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pheno variations in clones from same plant

Tipunch

Hi,

I have different pheno expressions from 3 clones who come from same single plant.

Wonder how much variations we can find and how it works from a genetics perspective?

Thanks for inputs :tiphat:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Phenotype expression is determined by genotype and environment.

They were grown indoors?

mushroombrew

Veteran
It doesn't. A top clone may grow differently to a side clone at first. Within a few weeks it's all the same.

Pics always go a long way...

A med grower in my area is convinced he gets different phenos from top, middle and bottom of plant. Well he is out of his mind...

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
It has been my experience that a plant's attributes can change and cuttings will show those same attributes.

Example--majority of my cuttings are the result of snipping the top 5" of my plants. Occasionally there will be a plant that something happened (nothing physical or injurious)...but instead of the normal single main stem--there will be multiple vertical shoots (as in super cropping). The stems are thinner, tight internodes, and they just "look different" when compared to her sisters.

It has been my experience, cuttings sourced from those plants that show "super crop" attributes produce plants that show the same. Hence I have "two lines" from the same "mom". Those the show super crop attributes and those that don't.

Second observation is the donor plant's health/vitality: Runts begot runts--and Amazon Ladies begot Amazon Ladies. Take a cutting from the very bottom and it will usually root sooner but will also have a thinner stalk...snip the top and it may take a bit longer to root, but it will also have a thicker stalk. When both of these two plants are grown to maturity--the plant sourced from the bottom cutting will display a thinner stalk...compared to her sister.

The question some might have is: Over time, shouldn't the "super crop" line revert back to "normalcy"? Well, that has not been my experience.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
It doesn't. A top clone may grow differently to a side clone at first. Within a few weeks it's all the same.

Pics always go a long way...

A med grower in my area is convinced he gets different phenos from top, middle and bottom of plant. Well he is out of his mind...

I have had plants show 2 phenos on one plant and had the separate phenos show at other times (have pictures if it is that interesting to you)

all things weren't equal to the plant obviously, although the differential may not be noted by the cultivator

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That last bit is why I'll always have a soft spot for you.

Grant it, buried deep.

DocTim420

And that dudding attribute too...you know, that internode situation where instead of a nice shoot (future branch) above the leaf--there is just the leaf (no future branch action). I have seen this attribute passed on to subsequent cuttings as well.

What caused the original dudding? Environment? Nutrient deficiency/excess? Aibiotic or biotic stress? Hard to say.

William76

The cutting will be the same pheno as the plant u took it from coz it is the same plant!.environmental factors may make it look different but once u correct the environmental factors the phenol returns to normal.76

Tipunch

Not much I can change on my side, my 3 clones are sitting side by side, have same sun, soil, Rain water. I lst'd everyone. But I get your point eventhough I'm currently not at the phase where They look alike.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I have had plants show 2 phenos on one plant and had the separate phenos show at other times (have pictures if it is that interesting to you)

all things weren't equal to the plant obviously, although the differential may not be noted by the cultivator

There are always exceptions to the general rule.

Like male and female flowers on the same plant. Not the norm..

I have seen many plants with genetic mutations and different phenotypic branches. I put them in the "mutant" category along with the herms.

A healthy normal plant produces the exact same genotype. If there is a difference in phenos something else is at play. Little more mag in this dirt. Bit more gypsum in that pot...
Even the slightest environmental change has effect. Even strong vs weak lighting areas in the same room can cause changes in phenotype.

A 100% same environment is harder to achieve than you guys think.

meizzwang

You can have asexual mutations from a clone that will cause phenotypic variation. This is more likely to occur with tissue cultured plants or clones that are propagated on an extremely large scale.

I've grown out clones from friends where my clones come out different to theirs. Different environments and soils too. Although it wasn't like his was Lemon and mine skunk.. Both cheese clones for eg.. I just got more funk and flavour out of mine. You would not say they were from same mom

mushroombrew

Veteran
This really trips me out. Same indoor environment. And exact same nutrients.

Same strain same age

Left Flood and Drain, Middle Perlite/RW croutons, right is DWC.

So you might say same environment. But the media, or lack of it, is an environmental component too.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I had a very weird experience with a Jillybean clone, I've grown it indoor first and I got a orange/skunky smelling plant. I made 3 runs indoor with the same result in terpene profile then I grew it outdoor planted in native soil and I got a totally different terpene profile, she was suddenly smelling very strong of diesel, a very disturbing smell I didn't like at all and the dry buds had this diesel smell I had never experienced before with this genetic. I still don't know what made such a difference in terpenes profile and It never happened again.
The weird thing is I had another Jillybean pheno who grew next to it in the same native soil outdoor but it gave the same terpene profile than indoor.

Tipunch

Thx for pics Shrooooom and input guys! The explanations behind this transformation are out of my knowledge but I'm sure A person like Chimera could explain this, scientifically :biggrin:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When a branch on a plant grows differently than the remainder of the plant...

It is called a SPORT!

Sports can be slightly different or complete different but their genotype is the same as their mothers.

DocTim420

The cutting will be the same pheno as the plant u took it from coz it is the same plant!.environmental factors may make it look different but once u correct the environmental factors the phenol returns to normal.76

Hmmm, that is not what I understand or experienced. The assumption that things in nature will return/bounce back to its original state after being altered is not the "norm"--perhaps more of an "exception".