Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > using the carbon in old filters as biochar?

Thread Title Search
Buy Cannabis Seeds at Seed Boutique
using the carbon in old filters as biochar? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2017, 12:47 AM #1
Gr33nSanta

Gr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of light
using the carbon in old filters as biochar?

Anyone else doing this? Seems to me like the perfect biochar to throw in a soil mix?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338819
Gr33nSanta is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:51 PM #2
h.h.

h.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really niceh.h. is just really nice
https://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdige...arbon-markets/

I guess it would depend on what I was filtering. A fish tank or tap water?
h.h. is online now Quote

Old 09-24-2017, 05:10 PM #3
Gr33nSanta

Gr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of lightGr33nSanta is a glorious beacon of light
air from the grow room! the dust in it comes from the dust generated by the soil in the room over the years.

I just think if you have ever thrown a can filter in the trash you basically throwing out a valuable soil amendment.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:16 AM #4
SilverSurfer_OG
Living Organic Soil...

SilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of light
Good to go bro!

Dr. Richard Lindzen MIT "Controlling carbon is a bureaucrat's dream. If you control carbon, you control life."

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - Martin L.King Jr

Terra Preta Dark Soil Experiment

Recycled Organic Living Soil

Organic Fanatics Australia
SilverSurfer_OG is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 AM #5
Bmac1

Bmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud ofBmac1 has much to be proud of
That is a good idea and im glad to hear it is suitable. I have 50lbs in my old filter. I did buy some charged biochar for my new mix though.
First Organic Run - Done
Organics Round 2 - Ongoing adventure
Bmac1 is offline Quote

Old 09-28-2017, 09:39 AM #6
SilverSurfer_OG
Living Organic Soil...

SilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of lightSilverSurfer_OG is a glorious beacon of light
It is very suitable as the ageing process is complete and the char will have a neutral ph value and won't dramatically raise the ph of your medium like fresh char will...

Dr. Richard Lindzen MIT "Controlling carbon is a bureaucrat's dream. If you control carbon, you control life."

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - Martin L.King Jr

Terra Preta Dark Soil Experiment

Recycled Organic Living Soil

Organic Fanatics Australia
SilverSurfer_OG is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:38 PM #7
Gr33nSanta

I ll just start dumping it over my worm farm, every couple of years they will get a little top dress!

Old 11-03-2017, 01:39 AM #8
Farm Hero

Farm Hero has a spectacular aura aboutFarm Hero has a spectacular aura aboutFarm Hero has a spectacular aura about
Yea, have dumped many spent carbon filters into the compost heap. The carbon pellets don't break down very fast ime.

In the heap, ya can't hardly tell the carbon pellets and the fresh rabbit dung pellets apart from a distance.
Farm Hero is offline Quote

Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 PM #9
redlaser

redlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud ofredlaser has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm Hero View Post
Yea, have dumped many spent carbon filters into the compost heap. The carbon pellets don't break down very fast ime.

In the heap, ya can't hardly tell the carbon pellets and the fresh rabbit dung pellets apart from a distance.
I would wonder if they ever break down. A method to keep fence posts from decaying is to burn the ends that go into the ground. Not sure if it works forever or just a lot longer than not burning the ends
redlaser is offline Quote