Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > Dewaxing and removing pinene before distillation

Thread Title Search
Dewaxing and removing pinene before distillation Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 PM #1
EugeneOregon

EugeneOregon will become famous soon enoughEugeneOregon will become famous soon enough
Dewaxing and removing pinene before distillation

100% wax removal, no freezer.
Significant alpha pinene removal.
Takes just minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51HJGXaKBDE
EugeneOregon is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 09-12-2017, 11:43 PM #2
mobin

mobin has a spectacular aura aboutmobin has a spectacular aura aboutmobin has a spectacular aura about
first off, good on ya brother for putting out out these awesome vids showing your work. need more of that!

i dont recall if it was this one or another one of your videos where you talk about the different colors of alumina, could it be acidic vs neutral vs basic alumina?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 PM #3
EugeneOregon

EugeneOregon will become famous soon enoughEugeneOregon will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobin View Post
first off, good on ya brother for putting out out these awesome vids showing your work. need more of that!

i dont recall if it was this one or another one of your videos where you talk about the different colors of alumina, could it be acidic vs neutral vs basic alumina?
Thanks! It is a great hobby because it keeps the mind engaged and the rewards are worth it lolz.

Here is a copy and paste from what I learned on Alumina:
BFA and WFA similarities are as follows;

Both basic mineral: α-Al2O3

Both PH Value: Neutral

Both Max.usable temperature in air is 1900 Celsius degree, decomposition point is 2250 Celsius degree.

Both main chemical composition of finished products are: Al2O3

Both main applications are: in refractory and abrasives products.

Both Mohs hardness are: 9.0,

Differences are below;

BFA bulk density is (1.53~1.99g/cm3) and true density (3.90g/cm3). While WFA bulk density (1.75~1.95g/cm3) and true density (3.95~3.97g/cm3).

Main raw material of BFA is bauxite, and main raw material of WFA is calcined alumina powder.

BFA has Al2O3 content of 95% Min., WFA has Al2O3 Content of 99% Min.

BFA has refractory temperature 1850 Celsius degree, WFA has refractory temperature 2100 Celsius degree.

Although their Mohs hardness is 9.0,WFA is even harder than BFA, and BFA is more flexible than WFA.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:59 PM #4
EugeneOregon

BFA means brown fused alumina
WFA means white fused alumina

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 PM #5
Jslump510

Jslump510 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOregon View Post
100% wax removal, no freezer.
Significant alpha pinene removal.
Takes just minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51HJGXaKBDE
Thanks for all the info you been sharing it means alot to us self made scientists. I'm a firm believer in when the people around are evolving and pushing the envelope then thats where magic really happens and these forums prove that now your part of that in a big way. So again thanks brother your much appreciated
Jslump510 is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM #6
EugeneOregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslump510 View Post
Thanks for all the info you been sharing it means alot to us self made scientists. I'm a firm believer in when the people around are evolving and pushing the envelope then thats where magic really happens and these forums prove that now your part of that in a big way. So again thanks brother your much appreciated
It so happened that I was measuring my head when I read your comment. It definately grew by 10%!!!

Ego is the balloon we all carry around and love until it pops...lolz. Remember, I get to pick which vids I post.... My vid of a 14/20 boiling flask full of extract overpressurizing (from incomplete purge) when I hit the hot (very stupid) extract with full vacuum is not published. The visual is VERY cool though. Afer it popper the vacuum adapter off the flask the flask looked like a whale clearing its blowhole and I observed extract distribution all over my Amish built buffet table which is my lab bench...

I did almost post that on the Amish furniture website to demonstrate how well the table cleans up...their wax finish is really great, but I decided that showcasing my genius in that arena would not be nearly the ego boosting experience that I get on 420 sites. 😳

Thank you for the kind words. They do you credit.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 PM #7
Badfishy1

Badfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really niceBadfishy1 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslump510 View Post
This....
I have watched almost all your vids and am honestly surprised the amount of info you put out and the explanations you give. So many people hide behind 'muh proprietary methods' bullshit. Sure i understand people have invested time and money into refining their methods, but the Dick measuring contests that IG creates are appalling. Maybe if more people open sourced their data, there would be those small advancements made to actually HELP the industry therefore helping the patient. Always a good laugh seeing the 'muh patients are most important' schtick while clearly obsessing over the dollar bill
Badfishy1 is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 PM #8
mobin

mobin has a spectacular aura aboutmobin has a spectacular aura aboutmobin has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfishy1 View Post
This....
I have watched almost all your vids and am honestly surprised the amount of info you put out and the explanations you give. So many people hide behind 'muh proprietary methods' bullshit. Sure i understand people have invested time and money into refining their methods, but the Dick measuring contests that IG creates are appalling. Maybe if more people open sourced their data, there would be those small advancements made to actually HELP the industry therefore helping the patient. Always a good laugh seeing the 'muh patients are most important' schtick while clearly obsessing over the dollar bill
a lot of people are paying consultants, which makes it kinda dumb to shit the info out for free or their signature on some paper prevents it.

a good cook can taste food and know how the flavors got there without a recipe, or with some practice figure it out themselves.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 PM #9
mobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOregon View Post
BFA means brown fused alumina
WFA means white fused alumina
rad i learned something

i've yet to run a crude extract through alumnia. i think i might giver a try today

Old 09-14-2017, 01:27 AM #10
EugeneOregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobin View Post
rad i learned something

i've yet to run a crude extract through alumnia. i think i might giver a try today
It can get messy but if you start by running just 10% alcohol to 90% water you can fraction out the more polar substances pretty easy (like pinene). Then as you ramp up in 10% increments in alcohol percentage a hundred militiliters or so at a time poured into the column, then somewhere about 30% alcohol (ethanol, methanol, iso) to 70% water you will pull the cannabinoids through. You will see a LOT before the cannabinoids come through typically.

You will know when you hit cannabinoid when the chalk white fluid (if pinene is present) begins to run more milk white. I have also seen amber colored alcohol with extract in it emerge the column as red as red wine with the cannabinoids in it when run this way. Very cool stuff. No heat involved either which make chromatography experiments pretty easy and safe to run.

I say it is messy when using the column in reverse phase mode. Reverse phase simply means that the solvent system used goes from the most polar towards the least polar to elute the compounds. Flavinoids are well seperated this way from a column like this as is the more visually obvious alpha pinene. This means though that a gob of water is introduced to extract and as you likely know water is a pain in the ass to purge.

There is no one system that works best for everything though, alas. The alumina is great at blocking waxes so I ALWAYS run the extract across alumina prior to using silica gel 60 for a more complete seperation. Those waxes and gunk make seperations very difficult on silica gel so for me dewaxing on alumina is just step one if I am doing a full chromatography seperation. It is common for mulitple runs using different stationary and mobile phases when a complete seperation is desired on something like extract.

This is tough stuff to refine so every little step adds up.