Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > Marijuana News > Cannabis/Marijuana and how it effects our sleep.

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts!
Cannabis/Marijuana and how it effects our sleep. Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2017, 11:32 AM #1
Gypsy Nirvana
Free'd P.O.W.

Gypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivor
Cannabis/Marijuana and how it effects our sleep.

Here is an article concerning our most favourite plant taken from the MSM (main stream media) about cannabis and how it effects our sleep. It does seem like the Daily Fail (Daily Mail) is coming around to publishing more factual and pro-cannabis articles of late, after years of being totally negative towards the plant.

Marijuana DOES affect your sleep: Expert warns the drug can help users nod off - but they may struggle to rest without it

Deirdre Conroy, a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Michigan, analyzed how medical marijuana impacts sleep
Most people use medical marijuana for sleep help if they are suffering from pain or PTSD - but Conroy warns most will then struggle to sleep without it
People who suffered from depression were more likely to sleep better with medical marijuana than those who didn't
Currently, 28 states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana use in the US

If you speak to someone who has suffered from insomnia at all as an adult, chances are good that person has either tried using marijuana, or cannabis, for sleep or has thought about it.

This is reflected in the many variations of cannabinoid or cannabis-based medicines available to improve sleep – like Nabilone, Dronabinol and Marinol.

It's also a common reason why many cannabis users seek medical marijuana cards.

I am a sleep psychologist who has treated hundreds of patients with insomnia, and it seems to me the success of cannabis as a sleep aid is highly individual.

What makes cannabis effective for one person's sleep and not another's?

While there are still many questions to be answered, existing research suggests that the effects of cannabis on sleep may depend on many factors, including individual differences, cannabis concentrations and frequency of use.

Cannabis and Sleep

Access to cannabis is increasing. As of last November, 28 US states and the District of Columbia had legalized cannabis for medicinal purposes.

Research on the effects of cannabis on sleep in humans has largely been compiled of somewhat inconsistent studies conducted in the 1970s.

Researchers seeking to learn how cannabis affects the sleeping brain have studied volunteers in the sleep laboratory and measured sleep stages and sleep continuity.

Some studies showed that users' ability to fall and stay asleep improved.

A small number of subjects also had a slight increase in slow wave sleep, the deepest stage of sleep.

However, once nightly cannabis use stops, sleep clearly worsens across the withdrawal period.

Over the past decade, research has focused more on the use of cannabis for medical purposes. Individuals with insomnia tend to use medical cannabis for sleep at a high rate.

Up to 65 percent of former cannabis users identified poor sleep as a reason for relapsing. Use for sleep is particularly common in individuals with PTSD and pain.

This research suggests that, while motivation to use cannabis for sleep is high, and might initially be beneficial to sleep, these improvements might wane with chronic use over time.

Does frequency matter?

We were interested in how sleep quality differs between daily cannabis users, occasional users who smoked at least once in the last month and people who don't smoke at all.

We asked 98 mostly young and healthy male volunteers to answer surveys, keep daily sleep diaries and wear accelerometers for one week.

Accelerometers, or actigraphs, measure activity patterns across multiple days.

Throughout the study, subjects used cannabis as they typically would.

Our results show that the frequency of use seems to be an important factor as it relates to the effects on sleep.

Thirty-nine percent of daily users complained of clinically significant insomnia.

Meanwhile, only 10 percent of occasional users had insomnia complaints. There were no differences in sleep complaints between nonusers and non-daily users.

Interestingly, when controlling for the presence of anxiety and depression, the differences disappeared.

This suggests that cannabis's effect on sleep may differ depending on whether you have depression or anxiety.

In order words, if you have depression, cannabis may help you sleep – but if you don't, cannabis may hurt.

Future directions

Cannabis is still a schedule I substance, meaning that the government does not consider cannabis to be medically therapeutic due to lack of research to support its benefits.

This creates a barrier to research, as only one university in the country, University of Mississippi, is permitted by the National Institute of Drug Abuse to grow marijuana for research.

New areas for exploration in the field of cannabis research might examine how various cannabis subspecies influence sleep and how this may differ between individuals.

One research group has been exploring cannabis types or cannabinoid concentrations that are preferable depending on one's sleep disturbance. For example, one strain might relieve insomnia, while another can affect nightmares.

Other studies suggest that medical cannabis users with insomnia tend to prefer higher concentrations of cannabidiol, a nonintoxicating ingredient in cannabis.

This raises an important question.

Should the medical community communicate these findings to patients with insomnia who inquire about medical cannabis?

Some health professionals may not feel comfortable due to the fluctuating legal status, a lack of confidence in the state of the science or their personal opinions.

At this point, cannabis's effect on sleep seems highly variable, depending on the person, the timing of use, the cannabis type and concentration, mode of ingestion and other factors.

Perhaps the future will yield more fruitful discoveries.

*Here is the link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar....html#comments

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:10 PM #2
moose eater

Location: Off a dead-end dirt road, near a river, out of town, in the hills and trees
moose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of lightmoose eater is a glorious beacon of light
As a person who experiences PTSD and pain (the previous for 5 decades, not combat related in on-set, and the latter going back 30 years, but increasing significantly over time), I've found this issue to be anything but simple.

I once regarded cannabis (and to a bit lesser degree still do, though age has interfered some) to be the "what ever I/my body need(s) at the time" drug.

There are times I'm sleepy, and needing to wake up, and a puff or three will help do that. Other times I need to get to sleep, can't, and a few puffs often helps with that, too.

I don't do a lot of true Indicas (like, nearly ZERO); more of a strong sativa appetite, as I think has always been the case for me. Acknowledging that among sativas, there's still a wide array of cannabinoids' variances.

It's 2:00 A.M. in Alaska right now, and obviously I'm up... having gotten a several hour nap earlier. Chores, etc. Typical night for me.

I do think that as the 'buzz' processes through, with cannabis being used to get to sleep, for those of us with broken sleep patterns (dyssomnia, as opposed to insomnia), and speaking at least for myself, there's a significant likelihood of waking up in the middle of the night, perhaps more so than usual, as the effects wane. I can't prove that, but it seems to be my experience.

Should Docs and practitioners of all pertinent sorts inform patients of their options to include these benefits/detriments/effects? YES!!

In the case of health care, whether medical or mental health, why would ALL options -not- be discussed with a patient, to include ups and downs of options (no pun intended), other than for politics? And politics, in my opinion, should NEVER have a place in the delivery of mental health or medical health care. It's already poked its ugly head into that theater, big time, in unwelcome ways..
moose eater is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:34 PM #3
rolandomota

rolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of lightrolandomota is a glorious beacon of light
I stay awake all day and late in to the night if i take a smoke break. Usually i take a nap or three and fall asleep early at night when smoking all day. Your body becomes dependant on mj to feel tired so when you dont smoke after smoking all day every day for a few weeks it can be hard to fall asleep when you stop smoking.....or the way i see it easier to stay awake all day and late in to the night. Same thing with munchies im not so compulsive when i dont smoke vs. When smoking i pig out more often
rolandomota is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 PM #4
Payaso
Administrator

Payaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivor
Excellent that you posted this article Gypsy, a fascinating subject.

I have noticed cannabis affecting my own sleep, and have remarked over the years that when not using, my dreams are far more vivid and I'm more likely to remember them. A strong indica variety is more effective helping me drift off to sleep... sativas keep me awake with my brain pondering this or that deep question.

Having endured sleep studies myself twice, in a lab setting, I wonder how that would have affected me. Can the person analyzing the results tell if one was a cannabis user or not?

My conclusion is that they need to study this a lot more, across a broader spectrum of society.

Payaso is offline Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 05:22 PM #5
Limeygreen

Limeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really niceLimeygreen is just really nice
As long as I don't smoke it excessively then Sativas help me sleep better even when not smoking it. I don't care much for effects of indicas, but a sativa a few hours before bed and just laying down is enough for me to fall asleep but still lets me get things done before bed and not be a couch potatoe.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 PM #6
Drewsif
Banned

Drewsif is a jewel in the roughDrewsif is a jewel in the roughDrewsif is a jewel in the roughDrewsif is a jewel in the roughDrewsif is a jewel in the roughDrewsif is a jewel in the roughDrewsif is a jewel in the roughDrewsif is a jewel in the rough
Something I've had the luxury to notice:

Different grows make me sleep-in differently. Has little to do with the strain.

I dont use alarm clocks, I wake up naturally. One growers weed set me back to waking around 10 o clock, every day, regardless of strain. And hating mornings. Switch crops and Im instantly waking up at 7 every day,feeling much better. I guess some grows are just groggy.. Grower vibe or valerian root? Bad light spectrum? Who knows. Not wanting to get out of bed from smoking one growers weed...? Seems science should be studying this shit.
Drewsif is offline Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 PM #7
oldchuck

oldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to beholdoldchuck is a splendid one to behold
First, I do not consider the Daily Mail a very useful news source. I'm more a Washington Post, BBC kind of guy.

Second, there are probably thousands of so-called "sleeping pills" on the market and I suspect they all have erratic effects, from not working at all to causing actual harm in various ways in various people. In regard to Cannabis a useful study would have to use a consistent combination of Cannabinoids not just some random street weed.

Personally, I prefer Cannabis infused vodka before bed. I drop off almost exactly at 11 pm and wake spontaneously at 7 am. No side effects although I do notice a reduced or muted dream activity. Cannabis science needs to be more exact and that ain't going to show up in the Daily Mail.
oldchuck is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:06 PM #8
Gypsy Nirvana
Free'd P.O.W.

Gypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivorGypsy Nirvana is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchuck View Post
First, I do not consider the Daily Mail a very useful news source. I'm more a Washington Post, BBC kind of guy.

Second, there are probably thousands of so-called "sleeping pills" on the market and I suspect they all have erratic effects, from not working at all to causing actual harm in various ways in various people. In regard to Cannabis a useful study would have to use a consistent combination of Cannabinoids not just some random street weed.

Personally, I prefer Cannabis infused vodka before bed. I drop off almost exactly at 11 pm and wake spontaneously at 7 am. No side effects although I do notice a reduced or muted dream activity. Cannabis science needs to be more exact and that ain't going to show up in the Daily Mail.
Well, at least the Daily Fail is putting some positive or semi-positive articles out of late, although they might not exactly be up to par for some of our members. For years they have been lambasting cannabis and those of us that use it. Perhaps they can see the writing on the wall?....All you have to do is look at the comments on their articles on the 'erb to realize that the majority of their readers are actually pro-cannabis.

I find that most indica dominant varieties just about knock me out lately, and I sleep/nod-off very easily, or too easily on them. Just the other day I visited a friend who had me partake of his vapor-bong just 15 minutes into our meeting, and within 10 minutes I was virtually comatose, and he had to wake me up, which was kinda embarrassing, but he just laughed and was good natured about it.

Insomnia has never really been a problem for me whether I am baked or not, so I have to be careful what I toke on or I will just pass out no matter where I am or who I am with, at any time of the day or night.

Sativa's and sativa dominant varieties usually keep my eyes open so that I can enjoy the high without snoozing although some Hazes are just not for me (e.g. Kali Mist) because on them my mind tends to race too much and usually end up in a bit of a kerfuffle.

There does need to be much more research into what cannabinoids aid slumber, and hopefully then we will know what varieties are the absolute best for sleep.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 PM #9
bigAl25

bigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nice
I have sleep apnea and use the infamous CPAC machine to help me sleep and stop my snoring. Yes the machine does work and without a spouse bitching about my snoring keeping her awake I would not have sought treatment. I will now comment on using cannabis along with the CPAC. I do believe a heavy indica will help with sleep if consumed before bedtime. Any sativa oriented hybrid will keep me awake and not work at inducing a good nights sleep if smoked right before bedtime. This is just my personal experience and I never some a whole joint of anything. I'm a half joint at the most kind of stoner. Cannabis should be available to medical patients with sleep problems, but please get help if you have sleep apnea, it's a real problem that needs a solution. Cannabis may help.
bigAl25 is offline Quote

Old 09-12-2017, 11:19 PM #10
bigAl25

bigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nicebigAl25 is just really nice
Instead of some, I meant smoke.
bigAl25 is offline Quote