What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Monkey haze tom hill thread?

bloyd

Veteran
Anybody know how to access or have saved tom's deep chunkxhaze f2 thread? Looking for his breeding talk goals. Going through my last 3 packs. some funky plants to be found. I grew 2 packs upon release and made crosses that turned out amazing which made me want to preserve my remaining packs. Tia.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
i loved it when i grew it.. i think this goal was to gain something right between haze and monkey balls.. i think it has to be goal of every real breeder when making such hybrid, you can express it mathematically, this goal as: 1 + 1 = 3 :D

Last edited:

Betterhaff

Veteran
didn't Tom say males where a waste of time?
He said this though.
If folk feel that there is a hole in the market then by all means fill it.

1rst) embrace reversal techniques if only to reveal homozygous individuals.

2nd) utilize these as recurrent parents in a backcrossing program as part of our bring back the Y crusade.

However fair warning, just as some accuse fem breeding as being a hack, or there only to take advantage of the clueless, the same argument might be more successfully made in the above type of project - ie there only to take advantage of the clueless - for we certainly do not require male/female seedlots to further explore down the line, to preserve germplasm, or any of that. –Tom
I am currently building a personal library of S1 seed from some of the elite clones over the past decade and remnant seed from this project will be offered. To my mind, it is more important to keep these germplasm collections separate than to introduce males solely for the sake of settling the gut feelings of others on the subject of gynoecious selections.
If I remember correctly from that deep chunk haze thread he was selecting/culling early, retaining the morphological types that were leaning to the haze side of things.

bloyd

Veteran
Yes I remember him saying to look for the creeper type that can barely hold its heavy hybrid buds on it's slender frame. Stumpy deep chunk plants have been discarded. I ain't down with plants that will yield a joints worth of smoke. Thanks for all info guys/gals.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Hi.
If you have already grown two packs of these, then you should have an idea about the different phenotypes. a certain phenotype is expressed as both males and females, so if you remember what the females you liked looked & smelled like, then try to pick males that share similar looks and aromas (scratch & sniff) in veg.

If you want to find the best resin producers, use/buy a 30x loop to check the resin glands on the stem of a vegging plant
:)

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
If I remember correctly from that deep chunk haze thread he was selecting/culling early, retaining the morphological types that were leaning to the haze side of things.

I think your right Betterhaff. I remember him culling plants extremely early. Like right after first true leaves! I believe he was looking for thin sativas as he wanted a nld type plant with wld buds. So if the plant had wld type leaves he knew right away that it wasn't gonna make the cut and he could essentially make selections really early. This allowed him to pop a shit load of seeds in a relatively small space.

So yeah.....what Betterhaff said!haha

I could have just concurred with Betterhaffs post but I miss that guy so much that it felt too good to remember.lol

What that guys got between his fkn ears!!!!

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran

Well the funny thing is that Tom wasn't the one who selected nor bred this strain, but someone else who was hired in order to grow and reproduce his lines, as well as create the Monkey Haze back then. :biggrin:

This pics were taken in Spain, not Tom's garden, just in case no one realized before! Secrets of the trade I guess. LOL

picture.php

picture.php

Peace.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Well the funny thing is that Tom wasn't the one who selected nor bred this strain, but someone else who was hired in order to grow and reproduce his lines, as well as create the Monkey Haze back then. :biggrin:

This pics were taken in Spain, not Tom's garden, just in case no one realized before! Secrets of the trade I guess. LOL

View Image

View Image

Peace.

Hola amigo! I wasn't aware of that but it doesn't surprise me. I imagine the person in charge of that task had Toms full confidence. I'm curious who it was but I won't be asking here. lol I may send you a pm if I find it hard to sleep!haha seriously!

It's been so long that I can't remember how he worded his posts. I used the word "he" but honestly I can't remember.

Your word is as good as gold to me carnal so I'll be committing that to memory! Gracias.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Maybe I’m thinking of a different thread but I’m pretty sure it was a haze/deep chunk cross. I remember the pictures of tables of seedlings (100’s), before and after, and he went to town yanking the ones that weren’t fitting the selection criteria. I would guess he culled 70-75%, kind of Luther Burbank style.

Wasn’t aware of how and where the Monkey Balls or Monkey Haze was bred but it was still under his guidance though, no? Too bad most of his posts and threads were culled, a lot of interesting information there. Hopefully IC has them archived somewhere.

Latest posts

Latest posts