What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legal seed transportation across state lines for cultivation

B

Baked Alaskan

How to legally get seeds across state borders for cultivation. More specific, legally get seeds across a criminalized state border to a federally legal reservation for cultivation. This is a legal aspect I know nothing about and hope someone here may know.

In South Dakota the tribes may grow cannabis for medical and rec. The problem is getting seeds. There was already a trial in Flandreau with a not guilty verdict, but still no legal growing in the entire state due to no seeds.

How did other states start?

If anyone has any info on legally getting seeds across borders for cultivation, please let me know.

Thanks, Baked Alaskan

CannaZen

I have never attempted this, as far as i know you are not required state ID issuance to purchase seeds.

I would contact Centennial seeds if i were going to Colorado, they are located with an official business i believe. Washington is more sketchy. I was able to contact breeder of old toby from seattle but i never made the meetup, i am not sure that you could maybe find a local hookup or not.

I think its almost silly but when the DC legalized supporters hand out seed, federally illegal. The parallel is that federal law protecting medical states probably allow for seed importation without public knowledge, officially.

Last edited:
S

Scott64a

Not that I'd do this... but someone ought to just drive there with some seeds quadruple wrapped and locked in a glove box.

Someone inconspicuous looking in say... a minivan with some kids in it.
Drive right in, visit, hand off the seeds and voila! They got them.

If they are good strains for that area, it's nothing to seed a low bud off of each plant the first season and then store them legally.

Shoot, how did we ever get by before some places legalized it and others hung on against the Green Tide?

Just smuggle them, like the old days, until the dust settles and the feds get off their asses.
Pffff.

Playing by the rules even in legal states for any sort of commercial venture is still like jogging backwards naked and lubed through a Hall of Dildos.
Dicks.

I'll stick with a legal personal private grow and continue to flood the market with free handouts to keep prices down.
I'm sure tomatoes aren't as expensive when people are growing their own, so why make everyone buy from a legal store when they can just grow it?>

Jhhnn

Veteran
Legally? That won't happen. OTOH, ordering from Seed Boutique or Seed Bay is pretty safe. The worst thing that happens is that Customs snags the seeds.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
How to legally get seeds across state borders for cultivation. More specific, legally get seeds across a criminalized state border to a federally legal reservation for cultivation. This is a legal aspect I know nothing about and hope someone here may know.

In South Dakota the tribes may grow cannabis for medical and rec. The problem is getting seeds.

Secrecy can only help.

The Santee don't grow pot because the Menominee - who probably lost a bit of money from their 2015 DEA raid - can't grow hemp, not really because of seeds.

B

Baked Alaskan

Thank you all for your replies.

Haha, just get them through the mail. Duh 😀.

I was thinking of a legal way to get seeds across the border of South Dakota, which is an illegal state. I know I can get them across all borders legally if the seeds are not for cultivation.

One of the Tribes tried to get a grow going but had to destroy the plants. The reason was the seeds crossed an illegal border to get to the legal reservation.

I know there are ways to circumvent the laws but would like to get the seeds here legal and get a legal crop going for one of the Tribes.

Thanks

B

Baked Alaskan

Or if anyone knows where to get info I'd appreciate it, thanks

S

Scott64a

I was thinking of a legal way to get seeds across the border of South Dakota, which is an illegal state. I know I can get them across all borders legally if the seeds are not for cultivation.

One of the Tribes tried to get a grow going but had to destroy the plants. The reason was the seeds crossed an illegal border to get to the legal reservation.

I know there are ways to circumvent the laws but would like to get the seeds here legal and get a legal crop going for one of the Tribes.

Thanks

Maybe a call to the northern tribes up in BC, Canada is in order.
I have a good friend who is in the Ts'il Kaz Koh tribe and he has just partnered up with two neighboring councils and they are finishing up a deal right now that will allow them to grow a 150,000sq.ft grow operation... with federal money being thrown in to sweeten the deal!!!

I'l ask him later on about interstate laws and seed procurement, but Canada is a horse of a different color.

My best guess is that the tribes will have to get together and petition for rights here. Til then... just keep using whatever seeds you can get a hold of and breed them for the area. Shoot, breed a batch thoroughly, and after getting the seeds, burn the rest.

How can they tell if a seed came from over the line? Pff.

Limeygreen

Veteran
If there are hemp plants growing feral on the land and seed was collected from them for a grow but turned out to be great cannabis, that would hardly be illegal...

B

Baked Alaskan

I hear ya. If I found some great plants growing feral I'm sure I could document it and take cuttings. Lots of hemp from the war effort still growing wild.

It would be best if the seeds could be legally tracked.

Thanks

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

Thanks
its only illegal if you get caught. They sneak people across borders, seeds are small. The Indians lie, they got seeds..

Jhhnn

Veteran
In a prohibition state, the whole thing hinges on the degree of tribe sovereignty vs state sovereignty as defined by treaty & law. No two treaties are the same, of course.

If the tribe can't effectively stand up & say "So what? We govern our own lands." then they won't be growing until the State says they can.

therevverend

Veteran
I heard Washington state is trying to restrict the recreational and medical growers from using seeds and clones from the 'black market'. You are only allowed to get them from registered government rec clone and seed dealers. Any strains outside these sources would be black market and illegal. Not sure how they can enforce this without genetic testing.
So I sympathize with your attempts to get 'legal seeds' but it's an impossibility as long as seeds are illegal in the US.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I heard Washington state is trying to restrict the recreational and medical growers from using seeds and clones from the 'black market'. You are only allowed to get them from registered government rec clone and seed dealers. Any strains outside these sources would be black market and illegal. Not sure how they can enforce this without genetic testing.
So I sympathize with your attempts to get 'legal seeds' but it's an impossibility as long as seeds are illegal in the US.
illegal... funny.:tiphat: