What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado using marijuana taxes to fund the crack down on illegal growing.

shaggyballs

Veteran

FILE - In this April 14, 2016 file photo, investigators load marijuana plants onto a Colorado National Guard truck outside a suspected illegal grow operation in Denver. Colorado is set to become the first state to use marijuana taxes to fund police efforts to crack down on illegal growing operations. A measure scheduled to be signed into law Thursday, June 8, 2017, sets aside nearly $6 million a year in Colorado marijuana tax revenue to reimburse police for their investigations of black-market marijuana activity. (AP Photo/P. Solomon Banda, File) THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Source
https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...rijuana-market-funds-busts-of-illegal-growers

View Image

FILE - In this April 14, 2016 file photo, investigators load marijuana plants onto a Colorado National Guard truck outside a suspected illegal grow operation in Denver. Colorado is set to become the first state to use marijuana taxes to fund police efforts to crack down on illegal growing operations. A measure scheduled to be signed into law Thursday, June 8, 2017, sets aside nearly $6 million a year in Colorado marijuana tax revenue to reimburse police for their investigations of black-market marijuana activity. (AP Photo/P. Solomon Banda, File) THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Source
https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...rijuana-market-funds-busts-of-illegal-growers

Makes sense. Least they arent wasting the tax dollars. Sux for us but theres worse places it could go. I dont really feel sorry for illegal growers in a place you can legally grow. Obviously they were doing something not ok

St. Phatty

Looks like a make-work program to me.

It's amazing what bullsh.t jobs Americans can get - that don't produce anything.

OldPhart

There are worse ways to spend the money, I have no sympathy for the people that get busted. They are adding to the image problem for a legal state, not helping in any way. They have the chance to be the poster child for legalization, and these people are just F'n it up.

troutman

Seed Whore
I have no sympathy for the people that get busted..

Some people don't have the money to go legal. I imagine narcs think the same way. :spank:

Most people just want to be left alone to grow for personal and not every grower is thinking they'll make millions growing.
Greed is what's fucking everything and always has! By greed I mean Governments willing to imprison fucking non violent
plant growers while they enslave the people as per say usual with chemical drugs.

I can see hemp being planted near Government commercial grow ops in the future and let to release pollen in the air.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Makes sense. Least they arent wasting the tax dollars. Sux for us but theres worse places it could go. I dont really feel sorry for illegal growers in a place you can legally grow. Obviously they were doing something not ok

Just listen to how that sounds illegal grows in a place that it is legal to grow.
That statementt is full conflict with itself.
Funny that you think jailing people for cannabis is not a waste of money, now that is a real laugh.
If there is a worse way to spend dollars earned from selling cannabis and using that money to lock people up for selling cannabis?
What is it?

Was it not the purpose of legalizing cannabis to keep people from being jailed over a plant.

No, thats right Cannabis was legalized in order to profit from this plant.
Legalization will just to allow the rich to get richer.
Big cannabiz and the tax man are gonna be very well off.
Now cannabis is paying the way for people to be locked up for cannabis.
What a joke, the American people have been fooled into thinking legalization means people will not be jailed for a plant.

I do not care what anyone has to say, when some people profit from the same action as some people are being jailed for it is an atrocity by any standard.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran

There are worse ways to spend the money, I have no sympathy for the people that get busted. They are adding to the image problem for a legal state, not helping in any way. They have the chance to be the poster child for legalization, and these people are just F'n it up.

WOW and WOW

Muleskinner

Veteran
You could debate the morality of illegal growing all day long. Bottom line - whenever government becomes too oppressive of people or goods, when it takes an unjust share of human productivity, there will be smugglers.

You can look through any era of human history and find the smugglers and bootleggers. It's a check and balance system. The aristocrats and political class get too greedy? The smugglers go to work. Wishing it away is like trying to stop the sun from rising.

The cannabis taxes are too high. And the regs are purposely over-burdensome to drive the cannabis price higher. No grower or producer of any other agricultural product in the US is require to do the same level of product testing, it's a form of soft Prohibition.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
You could debate the morality of illegal growing all day long. Bottom line - whenever government becomes too oppressive of people or goods, when it takes an unjust share of human productivity, there will be smugglers.

You can look through any era of human history and find the smugglers and bootleggers. It's a check and balance system. The aristocrats and political class get too greedy? The smugglers go to work. Wishing it away is like trying to stop the sun from rising.

The cannabis taxes are too high. And the regs are purposely over-burdensome to drive the cannabis price higher. No grower or producer of any other agricultural product in the US is require to do the same level of product testing, it's a form of soft Prohibition.

The bit about taxes,smugglers etc...happened with TEA back in the 1700's in what is now called the USA. It ended up as one of the causes of the U.S. War of Independence....

Does anyone remember 'The Boston Tea Party?'

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
These hypocrite politicians have some balls, I'll give them that. If they were a bit smarter they would be allocating that money for schools, roads, and the real elephant in the room: state employee pensions.

Thanks for the heads up Shaggyballs.

-Funk

Gry

How does one grow illegally when cannabis is legal? Go over plan[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]t numbers ?
[/FONT]

KONY

Veteran

You sound like a blast to hang out with at a party. You assume just because a state has "legalized" that is a good thing for everyone that consumes cannabis.

Just listen to how that sounds illegal grows in a place that it is legal to grow.
That statementt is full conflict with itself.
Funny that you think jailing people for cannabis is not a waste of money, now that is a real laugh.
If there is a worse way to spend dollars earned from selling cannabis and using that money to lock people up for selling cannabis?
What is it?

Was it not the purpose of legalizing cannabis to keep people from being jailed over a plant.

No, thats right Cannabis was legalized in order to profit from this plant.
Legalization will just to allow the rich to get richer.
Big cannabiz and the tax man are gonna be very well off.
Now cannabis is paying the way for people to be locked up for cannabis.
What a joke, the American people have been fooled into thinking legalization means people will not be jailed for a plant.

I do not care what anyone has to say, when some people profit from the same action as some people are being jailed for it is an atrocity by any standard.

So what you mean to tell me is you believe in anarchy? You feel just because you are allowed to grow 10 you feel entitled to grow 1000? You are missing my point. They have legal options these people they break the law not because they love cannabis but because of greed. Fuck them they will make people want to take away legal weed. If you get caught breaking the law too bad. Its not a laughing matter jailing people who cant follow simple laws, they have legal avenues. Its rediculous.

People like you will never be satisfied unless you can do whatever you want and still even then... lets see... thats the attitude your post presents. I dont get why anyone feels sorry for those people. If they quit growing illegally law enforcement would be like sweet job do e lets spend the mo ey taking out meth dealers the potheads finally fell inline.

Your statement not caring what others have to say, it goes both ways. I think you are too entitled. The morons who get swept up in those busts probably should have got a real job. They could work in the legal weed industry they choose not too. Its their call they know the risks. They dont want to make $15/hr they wanna take home max profit millions a year if possible and not pay taxes. How is that right when everyone else does it right?

We spend money on police to police us. Its a fact of life get over if if you dont like the law go fight it call a politician not complain on a forum. Spend less time fantasizing about "big cannabis" taking over the world and do something. Monsanto wont take over the world walmart isint going to either. These large corperations have their negatives but the whole conspiracy thing is nonsense. Why would they want to jail everyone who would work for them then? Im not going to spend anymore time on this. As soon as people bring up conspiracy im out like a flash my heart cant handle the laughing fits... :tiphat:

shaggyballs

Veteran
So what you mean to tell me is you believe in anarchy? No, if I meant to say that I would have. You feel just because you are allowed to grow 10 you feel entitled to grow 1000? Wrong again quote me if you can! You are missing my point.Well what is your point? They have legal options these people they break the law not because they love cannabis but because of greed. Fuck them they will make people want to take away legal weed. If you get caught breaking the law too bad. You have made it clear you do not care if people are doing hard time for a victim-less crime.

Its not a laugh jailing people who cant follow simple laws they have legal avenues. Read my signature for this answer. People like you What are you referring to when you say people like me. What kind of person am I? People like me need to be locked away in your eyes..WOW! will never be satisfied unless you can do whatever you want and still even then... lets see... Have you ever heard of a thing called freedom? It would seem from your statement that you are not a fan.

Your statement not caring what others have to say, it goes both ways. I think you are too entitled. Entitled to freedom, yes I am! You seem to know me but your off base here. The morons who get swept up in those busts probably should have got a real job. By your statement I can see you are a very judgmental person. They could work in the legal industry they choose not too. Its their call they know the risks.
Never said they did not have a choice. Where the hell this came from, dunno.

We spend money on police to police us. Wrong, they take an oath to serve and protect the people. Is that what you call protecting us from ourselves?Its a fact of life get over if if you dont like the law go fight it call a politician not complain on a forum. Now you would like to take away my freedom of speech too. Spend less time fantasizing about "big cannabis" taking over the world and do something. You sound like you think your my boss/ mom.Monsanto wont take over the world walmart isint going to either. These large corperations have their negatives but the whole conspiracy thing is nonsense. It is? I have given countless facts to back my statements. You?? Why would they want to jail everyone who would work for them then? Im not going to spend anymore time on this.Bye-Bye

Did you read my signature? What do you think of that?
This guy is not even aware of what is going on around him.
Must have his head in the sand or stuck somewhere else....LOL

shaggyballs

Veteran
Originally Posted by Hash Zeppelin View Post
All I know is I grow, and will grow until I physically can't. I started growing in a place where 4 plants got you a felony with a 5 year minimum 20 year maximum, and I didn't let that stop me. The government will do what ever it wants and so will I.
I should make this my sig, its how i feel amd how ive always done as well

Ill have to figure out how to use breeders retail or the bay and try and snag a pack.

Are you aware that buying cannabis seed is against the law!
How do you say to handle lawbreakers?
Fuck them they will make people want to take away legal weed. If you get caught breaking the law too bad.

Your own words are biting you in the ass right now.

OldPhart

You assume just because a state has "legalized" that is a good thing for everyone that consumes cannabis.

Yes, yes I do. Please explain how it is not a good thing. Every single person can grow 6 plants, and flower 3 at a time. If they don't want to grow, they can allow someone else to grow their plants for them (co-ops). So there should be no problem with cheap and legal access to it. It also means that you don't have to worry about having your door kicked down for a personal grow. It also means that you don't have to worry about loosing your car or freedom if you want to carry some around with you.

Sorry If I sound harsh, I put a lot of time and money into the legalization efforts in CO, but unfortunately left the state before we won the war.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ulls-marijuana-crackdown-ending-co-op-growing

There is just one case, where the flood of black market growers are f'n it up for everyone else in the state that just want to grow, posses, and smoke their own. So no, I don't have any compassion for the greedy fucks taking advantage of what a lot of people worked very hard to accomplish for the people of Colorado.

packerfan79

Veteran
Yes, yes I do. Please explain how it is not a good thing. Every single person can grow 6 plants, and flower 3 at a time. If they don't want to grow, they can allow someone else to grow their plants for them (co-ops). So there should be no problem with cheap and legal access to it. It also means that you don't have to worry about having your door kicked down for a personal grow. It also means that you don't have to worry about loosing your car or freedom if you want to carry some around with you.

Sorry If I sound harsh, I put a lot of time and money into the legalization efforts in CO, but unfortunately left the state before we won the war.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ulls-marijuana-crackdown-ending-co-op-growing

There is just one case, where the flood of black market growers are f'n it up for everyone else in the state that just want to grow, posses, and smoke their own. So no, I don't have any compassion for the greedy fucks taking advantage of what a lot of people worked very hard to accomplish for the people of Colorado.

How do you think the cops are going to find illegal grows? They will do it by coming into your so called legal grow to "check for compliance".

Muleskinner

Veteran
The bit about taxes,smugglers etc...happened with TEA back in the 1700's in what is now called the USA. It ended up as one of the causes of the U.S. War of Independence....

Does anyone remember 'The Boston Tea Party?'

Hell yeah I remember it, I live in Boston! People around here formed up militias when the British government taxed their tea. We have re-enactments every year.