What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
with over 42K visitors to my Hail Hydro thread, which covered a lot of ground for those interested in hydro, I felt it was time to start this new thread to explore some new ideas and to follow up on some recent ideas, all in the name of potentially better, more consistent grows. As with anything new, some failure can be expected, and I've had my share

While I have had very good success germinating seeds (drop in pure water + a drop or 2 of sea minerals), getting them to the seedling stage has been challenging with new concepts. The newest being water beads, which are probably better suited for clones, but could well serve as the ideal method to bring seedlings along; the biggest problems being over/under watering and how to support the long man stem in the early stages

Not being a fan of Rapid Rooter Started Cubes (the seed holes are too wide making it hard for root hairs to anchor= death)

My best success came when using coco + coco net pot cups, but I don't need a whole bag of coco, and it tends to harbor gnat eggs, so I went back to Rapid Rooters, and lost 4/6 seeds.

My go to hydro store had no alternatives, but another in the area had perhaps the perfect seed starter Planters Pride Pellets, which consist of compressed coco inside 20 individual bags, which expands to ~ a 3" x 1.5" cylinder when soaked in warm water. The seed is than inserted and easily covered with coco; 2/4 new seeds are in them now. Note I surrounded them with water beads (another experiment)

The next problem is weak main stems and how to support them. I have tried many things (see coco clone plug): enter water beads. I tried WBs for germinating, which might be excellent now that I have the PPPs, but they are excellent for supporting weak young main stems. The key being to use a tall enough jar to surround them and keep them straight (see picture)

My other issue has been how to keep nutes cool without an expensive chiller (and to keep mosquitoes at bay), plus eliminate air stones. Since I only grow 1- 2 plants per tent, the rezes need to be individual as the plants may be in various stages and so cannot be fed from a single source. In the middle of last grow I started using an igloo cooler, ad switched from air stones to flooming. Flooming required a second pump, but it must be on a timer or it will quickly overheat the nutes, which fried my primary leafs last grow.

Almost anything can be used on the flooming pump to circulate/aerate the nutes, but I had a couple Hydro Halo drip rings which works well. A deep cycle timer is needed as a 15 minute timer would overheat the nutes. I run it 3/20

I do need to move the 2 older seedlings into my DIY bubbler, but will stick with 4 air stones as that is where I have had best results

OK here's a few photos

View attachment 414492 View attachment 414493

View attachment 414494 View attachment 414495

starke

Looking forward to the show continuing. I have followed your hydro and lighting experiments/adventures with interest. Respect.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Put 2 more seeds into the pucks. These 2 barely cracked the husk, so curious to see what being wrapped in coco love will do

All have been moved under my Amare Tech SE 250.

The 2 older wispy taller ones are embracing the veg spectrums

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 2 older seedlings are developing more leafs but still require support to stay up. The small one in the front is the first seed to crack and placed into thee coco pouches.

Under the humid dome: one of the seeds has popped through, should see cotyledons by days end

View attachment 414965

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been using only the enhanced mono rings surrounding the CoBs in my Amare 250. I think it's too high above the plants: the main stems need more umoles in order to thicken, but instead of repositioning it to be lower...

I also have 2 BML supplemental light bars in this tent that are on ratchet hangers (easy to lower) so I plugged them in this morning- both of them plus the enhanced rings

2 /3 new seeds have cotyledons, I fluffed the coco in the 3rd but did not locate that seed WTF?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am going to play musical chairs with the plants, moving the 2 currently under the led tubes to the tent with the Amare 250 + BML supplemental bars. Just waiting a few days for the young plants main stems to firm up

This will provide optimal enhanced lighting and more umoles to max bud and trich production
[/FONT]

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Made up fresh nutes using NPK Grow, which mixes well (only 1 tsp/g!). Will be replacing previous EH nutes in seedling bubbler (very dilute as starter ppms) and growing these out with NPK

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a tip on supercharging your young plants. I have been using Aptus, but not too happy with it/them. Total lack of communication to questions I have asked

NPK:

Silicon aids in the uptake of water and nutrients, improving the plants resistance to heat and water stress. Some of the silicon can be taken up by the plant in the soil water solution, but much of the silicon becomes embedded in the root cells. With added silicon, the permeability of the roots is substantially increased. As a result, the flow of water into the roots is enhanced, and the drought tolerance of the plant is improved.

http://www.npk-university.com/plant_nutrition_silica.html

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pic update

From back to front

The 2 in the back are much older and were started in Rapid Rooters. They grew tall with very weak main stalk that required support until today when I was finally able to remove the coco fibers. (no bueno). Most likely it was hard for roothairs to develop along the tap root and anchor since the RR holes are too big, which also caused 2 others to die

The other 4 were all started in the coco pellets 100% success (muy bueno). Main stalks are stronger and I suspect will be shorter to the first leaf sets

View attachment 415910

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I often follow nutrients and supplement advancements: You tube is a great source. I saw this among many NPKs YT videos. Certainly seems logical to me, so today, I started adding yucca to my veg nutrient and foliar spray. Also adding it to my 2 flowering plants, but here seems the more ideal place to see what it brings to the party. I know I should, but won't be doing a side-by-side, but then I'm not trying to sell you something

http://www.npk-university.com/plant_nutrition_yucca.html

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tasty Tidbid- Silicone

Tasty Tidbid- Silicone

Silicon in and of itself is beneficial to plants, but it is most beneficial to those plants that accumulate high levels of extra silica in their tissues. In rice, for example, silica is already considered an essential element, and many grasses and other monocots are significant silicon accumulators. In contrast, most vegetables and other dicots accumulate only trace amounts of silica, so the benefits of synthetic, water-soluble silica are often limited. Biogenic silica, on the other hand, provides water-soluble silica when the plants need it the most, and it provides a host of additional side benefits during the rest of the plant’s growing cycle.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All 6 are doing as well as can be expected. Keep in mind the 3 smaller are younger, with the smallest younger still as the seed in that pellet disappeared: I think it popped out of the tweezers when I attempted to insert it, but I didn't notice it at the time

Note the roots coming out the sides of the net pot due to the coco pellets allowing lateral development

View attachment 416808

View attachment 416809

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I listened to Harley Smith's talk (NPK Industries) on seedlings and clones. Good stuff. A couple things that will help now and all future grows

1. pH should be between 5.8 and 6.4. I learned 5.5- 5.8. I always thought 5.5 was low, but... I do let it hang out closer to 6.0 in flower. I think he's right about this. Keeping it low MAY have contributed to leaf tip burn. dunno, but...

2. Domes should be removed after first leaf set to minimize possible mold and root rot

3. Pre-cloning how to prepare the mother, which branches to chose from, proper way to cut, best root stimulation nutrients- too much to post here. It's free. I recommend signing up at NPK Industries

Latest posts

Latest posts