What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TBugs "DIY" Aeroponic tutorial. plus a 4 strain grow!

TBug

Plz forget you know me...Sugaree
Veteran
High ALL! Well, I finally took the plunge and upgraded my garden to the Aeroponic system. I have had success with the ebb-n-floin the past til' root rot killed one too many crops for me to continue with it. Besides, aero grows bigger and faster than the ebb-n-flo, and thats what we want..."bigger/faster"!
I took some pics as i built it, so i thought id share.
Here is alist of parts......(this is not a cheap list, but to buy a system like this, outright, is like $700-$800)
15-20gal reservoir
2-3/4" hole saw (try to borrow one)
1/2" pvc 4x10'
4x 1/2" elbows
4x 1/2" caps
3/4" pvc 1/10"
2x T's 3/4-1/2
2x elbows 3/4-1/2
1 3/4-3/4 threaded T to attach the pump
4x bulkhead drain fittings
6-10 feet of 2" pvc and 1 elbow and 1 cap(this is the return drain..external res option)
5"X5" fence posts(2,4, or 6)
2x caps for each post
20-30 misters
1 pump (600-1200 GPH)
When it was all said and done, I spent a litle over $200. More than I had planned but the added option of having the reservoir outside the grow room will be a major advantage. It should solve ALL my temp problems, D.O. probs, and ROOT ROT. Not to mention I can do maitenence and changes while the lights are off.

While you gather the parts, I'll take a smoke break and be right back to show you how it all fits together :bongsmi:

Last edited:

TBug

Veteran
High ALL! First cut the posts to the desired length. make sure you cut them flush or they are hard to cap and seal.(perhaps you can get them to cut them at the store)then space out the desired amount of sites 1-2 feet apart.(mine are 1.5 feet) and drill the 2-3/4" holes on the top.
12292DSCN0557-med.JPG

Those caps are NOT seal or glued yet!! you need to get in to both ends still so DO NOT glue them yet. :joint:

Last edited:

TBug

Veteran
High ALL! Next, flip the over to drill a hole for the bulkhead drain fittings. the size of the hole will depend on the type fittings you are using. There is a considerable amount of water that must be allowed to drain freely so get big ones.
*****Place the holes as close to the uncut end as possible(iused the cut end-leaks resulted) leaving just enough room for the cap to fit tightly*****
12292DSCN0556-med.JPG

Install the bulkheads...
12292DSCN0559-med.JPG

12292DSCN0561.JPG

Last edited:

TBug

Veteran
High ALL! Now flip them back and lay out and maesure your 1/2" pvc. First drill a 13/16" hole(make sure the 1/2 pvc fits snugly) almost over the drain hole, but just before it so that the drain is not blocked or covered by anything.
then mark off where to drill the holes for the misters. The key is to have each site served by at least to misters. I basicly put one 3 in on either side of each site.
12292DSCN0562-med.JPG

TBug

Veteran
High ALL! Once you space out the placement of the misters, drill the holes as close to the very top of the pipe as possible. Try to have them all pointing straight up. Its vertually impossible to acheive without a drill press an clamps, so do your best. then screw in the misters. run water or air thru the pipes to remove any pvc shavings. Now you can go ahead and cap the far end of the pipe. the "drain" end will get the elbow. Once insde the post, a 1 foot piece of pipe will attatch to the elbow and come out thru the hole on top.
Your posts are now done and you may seal the caps on the posts. Try not to seal the tops as well as you do the bottoms. you more than likely will have to pop them off from time to time for various reasons. :cuss:

TBug

Veteran
crunkinshoe said:
I was thinking the same thing :wink:
High guys! Sorry no munchies yet...lol. Im saving them for the grow part of this thread(act II). Im just trying to retrace all the steps so it makes some sense.lol..how am i doing? Peace, TBug :smoker:

TBug

Veteran
High ALL! Now here is the tricky part, and every grow room is differnt. But place your posts evenly apart in the growing area. ****They are elevated higher in the rear to allow water to drain quickly****
You make sure they are evenly spaced by cutting the 3/4" pvc into equal pieces. I cut 2 one footers and 2 six inchers and put them togeather as such... elbow-one foot-T-six-T(threaded)-six-T-one foot-elbow
12292DSCN0566-med.JPG

TBug

Veteran
High ALL! As you can see, I have them sitting on the drain pipe. I cut and placed the drain in its proper place. once you have everything else in place(exactly they way you want it), Mark off where the centers of the drains contact the the drain pipe.
Take it out and drill the holes in the drain pipe.
12292DSCN0568-med.JPG

The pipe and elbow are optional. You can have these drain directly into your res. But the remote aspect of the res is quite benificial for the above reasons.

Last edited:

TBug

Veteran
High ALL! Notice in the above pic, that black double threaded peice. That is what I threaded into the center T and conected to my pump.
12292DSCN0572-med.JPG

12292DSCN0571-med.JPG

Last edited:

TBug

Veteran
BabyHughie said:
front row baby! here people *passes around bag of sour gummie worms*

Can't wait for the grow show TBug :lurk:
High Baby! ..and welcome. Neither can I. I may rip out my "trial run" plants i have in there and drop my "good beans" now!

G

I'm sticking around for this one also. I love the drain pipe through the wall, awesome. I'm going to be building one of these units, but 6" PVC pipe. The round stuff used for drains. Thanks for share your build with us.
Take care,
BG

G

I'll say one thing i like about you and that is the fire extinguisher in the corner of your grow. I think all grower's should have atleast one at arms length away. When i was growing. I had one mounted on the wall and one loose on the floor next to the door. Nice to see other grower's keeping those babies close by. Awesome system by the way. Keep up the great job.
Later,
BG

Last edited:

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
BabyHughie said:
front row baby! here people *passes around bag of sour gummie worms*

Can't wait for the grow show TBug :lurk:

couple seats down...*wonders wtf happened to all the green gummies*

:woohoo:

TBug

Veteran
High ALL! For lighting I have two 400w hps/MH switchabes! ive taken the ballasts out of the grow area to reduce heat. I have an oscilating fan mounted to the wall and a small fan that vents into the kitchen venting and out the roof. Im currently pricing some bigger fans w/carbon filters.
12292DSCN0553-med.JPG

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Cool stuff bug, what is the sealant you are using, and how do you like it? I have chickened out, afraid of leaks, so I'm going to run dwc again, but there is a recirc sys in my future, got most of the stuff already salvage.
H

TBug

Veteran
High haps! just plain allpurpose pvc glue. there is very little oppertunity for leaks in this design. I dont forsee any major hang-ups with leaks as i do with other systems. Peace, TBug