What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inhaling when you have Broken Ribs

St. Phatty

Or should I say, inhaling when you have bruised or broken ribs. I haven't had X-rays.

I managed to slip & trip in the workshop yesterday.

Not a big fall, till I landed on a very robust antique wood box, right in the rib cage.

It's interesting to see how this affects pot-smoking.

My waterpipe is a quart bottle that is about 3/4 full.

1 1/2 pints ~ 1 1/2 pounds.

It hurts to lift it with my right hand !

When I inhale deeply ... more pain.

So I'm now holding the water-pipe in my left hand, and not going for the deep inhale water pipe hit like usual.

Cannabis is good for cracked rib pain, though :woohoo:

cravin morehead

Veteran
ouch man, maybe it's time for edibles for awhile... Ive had broken ribs and can tell you inhaling a bong hit is nothing compared to coughing from it. yeeeoowwwch! good luck bud

cm

St. Phatty

Sneezing is the worst.

Damn that was a wierd sounding sneeze !

Only got about 3/4 out and then my lungs or diaphragm or whatever stopped pushing.

DemonTrich

Veteran
I fractured 3 ribs in a sport bike racing accident on the track. I will say this, DO NOT do the following for about 3 months: laugh, cough, fart, sneeze, breathe heavily, sleep on stomach, bend over, lift/carry heavy items. You WILL feel your ribs twang like a guitar string causing more pain. I wrapped my chest with an ace bandage to hold things together.

I highs highsided while.racing, flew about 13' in the air, landed on shoulder, and did a roll. I have no memory of the accident, as I was ko'd on impact. Bike was totalled. 4 fractured ribs, concussion, contusions on both hips, both knees, both elbows, both shoulders. I was in full race gear as well.

prune

Veteran
Unless you're spitting up blood, don't bother with the x-rays, as there is pretty much nothing that they can do for you. I fell 12 feet and landed on a 4x4 and "separated" a bunch of cartilage around the ribs and it was just like DemonTrich said, except he left out that even pissing and crapping become ordeals of pain.

What's worse, after a few days of shallow breathing your lungs become obstructed and even the slightest toke will set off long deathly painful coughing fits - so now you're in deep doody pain, but you're afraid to medicate.

I can't stand edibles but in this case it might be your only safe recourse.

Lrus007

Veteran
broke 8 and my sternum. i was a hurt unit.
best advice is stay full. lot of liquids. fuller you are
the less pain. then take something for swelling.
i was on naproxen for a year. they heal slowly.
best of luck Lrus007

Fuel

Each time i'm sick (nothing to compare with broken ribs), i switch to edibles the time to recover.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Broken a couple a couple of times, the first time the biggest problem, aside from the pain, was sleep. Didn’t sleep for 3 – 4 days, or not very well. Asked the doc for some pain meds and he wouldn’t give, said you might hurt yourself more. Gave me a couple of sleeping pills. The pain started to subside after a couple of weeks until you did something to aggravate. Took a long time to heal.

Maybe time for some edibles or dragon if you have the urge. The last thing I wanted to do was cough or sneeze…ouch.

St. Phatty

Maybe time for some edibles or dragon if you have the urge. The last thing I wanted to do was cough or sneeze…ouch.

Slept good last night.

If X rays didn't cost so much I'd go get some.

Now I'm curious if there's an actual crack, like when I had a greenstick fracture in one of my finger knuckles from a softball game. Or if it's just bruised.

On the plus side - it's nice to not be exhausted from work.

No major lifting for 4 days !

Went swimming yesterday and managed 2K on the kickboard. Nice & relaxing, at the edge of being painful.

Going back to the rifle range this morning.

I'm avoiding walking in my backyard because that often involves slipping and falling.

Thought I'd buy a backpack so I can carry work stuff (geology stuff) easier next week.

HazyBulldog

Don't waste money on xrays, nothing they can do anyway. If it doesn't feel better in 4 weeks, they are broken. After 6 weeks, doctor time. 6 weeks is usually how long a break hurts for.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Inhaling with a broken rib difficult, COUGHING is a m/f

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Or should I say, inhaling when you have bruised or broken ribs. I haven't had X-rays.

I managed to slip & trip in the workshop yesterday.

Not a big fall, till I landed on a very robust antique wood box, right in the rib cage.

It's interesting to see how this affects pot-smoking.

My waterpipe is a quart bottle that is about 3/4 full.

1 1/2 pints ~ 1 1/2 pounds.

It hurts to lift it with my right hand !

When I inhale deeply ... more pain.

So I'm now holding the water-pipe in my left hand, and not going for the deep inhale water pipe hit like usual.

Cannabis is good for cracked rib pain, though :woohoo:

I've had bruised ribs twice now and they sure aren't fun. Laughing, sneezing, coughing, breathing deeply, bending over, bumping them all suck big time. Expect 4-6 weeks for pain to completely go away.

St. Phatty

Try breathing with your stomach more and less with your lungs.

Sounds like something Karate Kid's instructor might have said !

It's mostly better now. Slowly getting back to walking on the steep parts of my property, where I tend to slip & fall about once an hour.