What's new

International Sauerkraut Day

Green Squall

Happy International Sauerkraut Day!

Every March 24th is a day to celebrate the deliciousness that is Sauerkraut! It is a great time to go to an authentic German restaurant, make Sauerkraut, eat sauerkraut, and maybe even wrestle in Sauerkraut!

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
LOL, Sauerkraut day, damned never heard about it. :laughing:

The only pic i could find is from March 2013. In front Sauerkraut, in the back weedbutter in making. :biggrin:

picture.php

sometimes-i-m-a-sour-kraut-t-shirt-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

cravin morehead

Veteran
hey Herman both pots look delicious!! is that a traditional way to prepare sauerkraut in Germany? I've never been to Germany but that is basically how I cook mine. some pork and or some sausages and onions and sauerkraut. sometimes i put some potatoes in it also...mmmm good eats

cm

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
hey Herman both pots look delicious!! is that a traditional way to prepare sauerkraut in Germany? I've never been to Germany but that is basically how I cook mine. some pork and or some sausages and onions and sauerkraut. sometimes i put some potatoes in it also...mmmm good eats

cm

Yes, here in northern gemany, we use "Kasseler"(smoked pork chop), Kochwurst/cooked sausage, my wife uses 3-4 juniper berrys, a little bit caraway and pototoes as well. Mustard for dipping the sausage and smoked pork chop. It could be that in other parts in Germany the recipie is a little bit different. :)

I love Sauerkraut! 3-4 times a year it´s on the table. I found a better Picture. In this way with mashed potatoes.

picture.php

cravin morehead

Veteran
man that looks good. that's it I'm going to my local German restaurant for some kraut, sausage, and Spaten beers tonight. mmmm spaten. thanks for the motivation Herman

cm

Dog Star

Veteran
Sauerkraut is a very good food,more we eat at Winter time..

Natural probiotics and vitamin C

Cabbage is one incredible vegetable,full of good nutes that will not made body fat but healthy and strong,fresh on salad is also amazingly good..

I vote for cabbage anytime...

cravin morehead

Veteran
Herman interesting link. well then I'll have some Beck's in honor of you buddy. I like them both, hell I like most beers who am I kidding...

dogstar- I also love cabbage. any way it comes, raw, steamed, sauerkraut, it's all good to me

cm

Betterhaff

Veteran
I used to ferment my own, small batches. Real easy. Shred some cabbage, put in mason jars, add a touch of kosher salt and fill with spring water. Seal and put it in dark, cool place. In a few weeks you have kraut. I always store mine when fermenting in a cooler, always afraid of an explosion and the cooler also catches any leakage out the top.

Green Squall

I usually have simple tastes and don't really like flavored foods, but when it comes to sauerkraut I do. Right now I'm finishing a jar of turmeric ginger kraut and next I think I'm going to try garlic dill. Awesome stuff.

I like Kimchi too but will save that for another thread.

GoeRilla

Great tread.
Now that I can see that there are some experts in sauerkraut I want to ask a question about it.
I tasted sauerkraut first time in Prague, it came with almost every meal like if it was a salad and i liked it very much.
When we came back I bought canned sauerkraut but that tasted very sauer and acid like, not at all like the delicious kraut from Prague.
I have tried several other brands but always the same acid taste.
My question is, how can I make the good stuff? I know how it is fermented but does that taste better than the ready made in cans?

Rilla.

cravin morehead

Veteran
Betterhaff posted a quick sauerkraut recipe above. Homemade kraut is delicious. Definitely better than store bought. Although, a couple of brands that are in the refrigerated section are better than the canned ones to me.

Cm

Green Squall

Great tread.
Now that I can see that there are some experts in sauerkraut I want to ask a question about it.
I tasted sauerkraut first time in Prague, it came with almost every meal like if it was a salad and i liked it very much.
When we came back I bought canned sauerkraut but that tasted very sauer and acid like, not at all like the delicious kraut from Prague.
I have tried several other brands but always the same acid taste.
My question is, how can I make the good stuff? I know how it is fermented but does that taste better than the ready made in cans?

Rilla.

I agree some of the mass produced kraut isn't very palatable. Check out a health food store. They usually have lots of good artisan brands stocked in the refrigerated section. The stuff I buy is hand made, hand packed and locally sourced. It's expensive but totally worth it.