What's new

Super stealthy scrog suitcase microgrow

Rick C-137

Hey all first time posting something for you lovely people to take a look at. Please criticize as much as you can, I want to improve this as I go.

I wondered for a while if this is possible, so I thought as they say, fuck it. At some point I plan to upgrade to LEDs but currently running 96W of CFL in about 2.2 sqft (40*26*60 cm).

Here's the finished suitcase in action. The cord to the right is just for the lamp lighting the photo.
RkAJtSI.jpg

Onto the build, first cutting a fan hole
OWEXFod.jpg

Installing the exhaust fan which will blow down onto an A4 paper tray filled with ONA gel, the fans have speed control so I'll keep the airflow at the minimum I can while still keeping good temps
Lo1ooj2.jpg

The fans are have speed control, are USB powered and plugged into a 2 port phone charger for power. They'll stay on when the light timer is off too. These fans were about $15 each.
00QYILZ.jpg

The other thing attached is a temperature controller
NTWv1Uf.jpg

cont.

Rick C-137

It will automatically kill the lights but not the fans if it gets too hot in there, reducing the risk of fire. Conveniently, it also has an inbuilt timer! Temps have been very stable so far with all three lights running with the suitcase in a warm room.
bxX8Dbg.jpg

Here's the rack before being put in, after this photo was taken I added an extra 32W CFL to make a total of 96W CFL and changed to a string screen for scrog. The shelf will start up close to the light and as the plant grows, the shelf can be gradually moved down to the position showed here. This image shows how much room I'll be working with in the finished suitcase.
QHnOXOV.jpg

Getting the reflective coating in! Looking more profesh now
EStrMLb.jpg

Here's what the finished box looks like
XSsrN5P.jpg

Here's a shot showing the first plant to go in before germination, and the new string scrog. You can see the odor tray underneath too. The pot in the center is covering the exhaust fan, but not blocking airflow due to the bottom rack.
rykjBGK.jpg

cont.

Rick C-137

A better shot of the screen for scrog, in the background is the input fan. I plan to FIM and scrog all the way to the walls.
x48Cpi4.jpg

And last a very crappy fish eye angle of the inside of the finished suitcase. I'll keep updating with how the grow goes!
sct2tha.jpg

And that's all I have to show for today! Looking forward to any feedback you can give.

Rick C-137

1rd. Looking great Rick. I love your creativity with this build. Do you have a plan for odor control?

yeah brother I have a plastic A4 paper tray which sits nicely underneath that will be filled with a mix of ONA gel and active carbon. I think you can see it in one of the pics. I put the exhaust fan on the bottom so that it could blow into the tray.

doams

Consider replacing cfls with screw in leds like now..
there is no point in waiting.. /way less stretch way bigger buds and yields/
four leds would be enough.. or maybe 6?
was thinking about using case too..
got one mega big case which I dont use at all :D
decided on strains yet?

Rick C-137

Consider replacing cfls with screw in leds like now..
there is no point in waiting.. /way less stretch way bigger buds and yields/
four leds would be enough.. or maybe 6?
was thinking about using case too..
got one mega big case which I dont use at all :D
decided on strains yet?

Do you mean led bulbs not actual led grow lights? Can't afford actual led grow lights at the moment and these CFLs can be replaced super cheap and easy if one dies. But if you mean just bright led bulbs I can get those too, just didn't think they would be effective.

Going to start growing AK later but right now I just started germinating some bagseed for the first run. But it's special bagseed from Nimbin Australia :gday:

And you should do it man, the build wasn't difficult at all. I was lucky to find the rack that fits perfectly inside though.

TheLoiteringKid

well i take that back, you already found that thread.
Based on your questions in that thread i'd suggest no less then 4, and personally I'd go for 6-8 depending on witch sockets i could find and how i could arrange them in space available.
This assumes your comfortable with basic wiring, otherwise find the little sockets that are literally a light socket with a plug out the other end, and get some power strips to plug em in like one of the members that posted in that thread did.
However, once you upgrade the lights, recheck your temps, and adjust fans if needed.

Rick C-137

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=314806
household screw in led replacement bulbs, standard socket, from what i took away from the thread is they kick CFL's asses watt for watt.

well i take that back, you already found that thread.
Based on your questions in that thread i'd suggest no less then 4, and personally I'd go for 6-8 depending on witch sockets i could find and how i could arrange them in space available.
This assumes your comfortable with basic wiring, otherwise find the little sockets that are literally a light socket with a plug out the other end, and get some power strips to plug em in like one of the members that posted in that thread did.
However, once you upgrade the lights, recheck your temps, and adjust fans if needed.

Yeah man I think I'll go for the plug-sockets and a power strip, but I think I'll do it after this grow because I already spent about $50 on CFLs and I'm trying to do this project on the cheap and those inbuilt reflectors are just perfect... but man, the leds do seem a lot better. I wish I'd gone with them from the start.

Rick C-137

Hey guys I'm having some trouble getting my seeds to germinate. After more than 48 hours in water/dark the taproot is only juuuuuust breaking through, you can barely see it. Should I leave the seeds in water until the taproot extends out?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I usually germinate my seeds straight in the soil to avoid damaging the tap root like I used to back in the day. just my 2 cents.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Nice little project. Looks like a well camouflaged grow tent.
:lurk:

You can edit posts after you have 50 posts.

Rick C-137

Im subbed up.

Very stealthy good luck and happy gardening!

Stonehedge out!

Nice little project. Looks like a well camouflaged grow tent.
:lurk:

You can edit posts after you have 50 posts.

Thanks guys. Hopefully in the next week or two I'll be able to update with some cute little sprouts in there. Shame about the CFLs, wish I'd known about off the shelf LEDs being so good!

Latest posts

Latest posts