What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Classic Hempy: RQS Bubble Kush + Special Queen #1

Lethal

Hi everybody,

welcome on my first ever thread and captured grow here on ICMag. Just about today I put my seeds for germination so lets call it the very start of the new passive hydro adventure. First things first so here is my setup:

Grow space: 1x1x2m tent (3x3 for imperial guys :wave: )
lightning: 400w MH for veg, 400w HPS for bloom (considering upgrade with led bars for better sides) btw have a wing clone to make sure of
even light distribution
Ballast: digital lumatek 600w (can be switched from 250,400 up to 600w SL) I let myself space for further upgrade
Vent: TT 280 m3/h
Soiless mix: perlite x vermiculit the original dosage 4:1
Buckets: 6x12,8l ( approx: 3,3 gallons) the count may change based on number of succesfully germed seeds
Ferts: Hesi Hydro
Seeds: Royal Queen Seeds: Bubble Kush + Special Queen #1

So here is the very start of my new hydro journey. I put the seeds in water (enchanced by small super vit drop) to soak overnight. The seeds will go into small box with paper towels in morning until they show tap root. I had those seeds for about a year and few months even so they were stored accordingly I want to stay on a safe side of things. In case I would germinate 6 or 5 of them I am still good even 4 are still doable with extra time to fill the scrog net. My aim is to get 6 healthy ones best case scenario are 3 of each. In case I got 7 I still have extra buckets so i am not afraid.

Wish me luck Lethal :watchplant:

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Awesome I'm looking forward to this grow! Are you using General Hydrponics for nutrients?

Last edited:

Lethal

Oh that's what I missed the ferts. I went with full line of Hesi Hydro. Thanks for stopping by justiceman ;)

justiceman

Veteran
Oh that's what I missed the ferts. I went with full line of Hesi Hydro. Thanks for stopping by justiceman ;)
Nice line up. Those are simple and solid. Should work just fine. Positive vibes heading to your seedlings from here.

Lethal

Good start!

Good start!

Little germination update: we look like we scored 7 out of 7.
Bubble kush is the sprinter though all of them cracked with tap root shooting out.
These are already in their new can-o-pot :p
S.Queen seems bit slower but also cracked so I guess one more day in towel bed for them.

can-o-pots are basically hempy beer cans 0,5l so about the same as stadium size cups. 100% perlite for fresh start presoaked with very mild solution of root complex and grow (we are talking really low value aprox. 0,15 ec worth of grow nute) the root complex don't increase it though but I still went with 1/4 of the starting dose also had to move the ph a bit as it was too high.

Lethal

Lethal

First Pics

First Pics

Here is a little picture update.:whee:

As you can see not all of them are doing so well. Seems like one BBK is falling behind heavily we will see if she can get better if not then she is out of game.

Had a minor accident with bulb - cracked it while putting into fixture, didn't have a spare one so I had to make quick run to hydro store to fix a new one.

Well I will wait a day probably and then do another easy watering with mild solution.

Lethal

Update 1. week

Update 1. week

Hi all,

here is a little update after a busy week:whee:

so far the progress seem stable but I am expecting quite a speed up pretty soon. As you see on pictures they are 6 now. One was simply not growing, probably due to the problematic start it had stuned growth. On the other hand she was showing simillar development as others but just on tiny scale. Too bad I got rid of her without taking a picture.

The plastic thing on the background is new addition to my tent a humidifier. I am trying out to keep environment as close to the vpd chart as possible in some reasonable manner(sometimes its just impossible to be there to refill of tank if needed).

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts regarding the stains on the leafs of SQ. I did hit her with solution while feeding so I guess that might be the reason as all the other ones are looking good.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers Lethal :tiphat:

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Looking good man! Ya seedlings are very sensitive so sometimes they just don't make it if something happened.

The "stain" on the leaf looks like she's a bit overfed right now. How much are you feeding those little things? I'd probably be shooting for somewhere around 200-350ppm .4-.7EC about now.

Lethal

Hi mate,

Thanks for stopping by, I am actually right on the ec you mentioned previous feeding before the pictures was 0.4 ec pure solution while my water is 0.2 from start. I am now staying on this +-0.1 watering every two to three days. Thanks for the suggestion I'll see how does it go from now on.

I did raise the light by about 10 cm to promote a bit of a stretch as they stayed basically on same height for couple of days. This is to let me bury them a bit when switching to final "pots". I will do it probably during the weekend. I guess two weeks in smaller cans should be enough to develop some nice roots.

Any thoughts guys? I am up for discussion ;)

Ps: morning check provided me with nice sight they really start speeding up with the growth. More pictures to come soon.

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Sounds good to me on the nutrients.

I typically leave them in the smaller pots for 1-3 weeks depending on how fast they are growing and or if I see a lot of roots coming out of the bottom.

Looking forward to the pics!

Lethal

Transplant

Transplant

The Day D has come for transplanting.
Everyone has been doing very well so I took my buckets and start doing holes and filling up the mixture in high volumes. After that full watering flush style of pure water with amended ph to preset the mix.
I was pleasently surprised by the root growth. All of them were already making cirlcles on the bottom of the cans. I took some photos of roots on the very first one which wasn't the biggest one but the roots were shiny white. All the next were just transplanted as quickly as possible and returned back to tent.
Each one of them were burried a bit by stalk as there were lots of adventitious roots ready to start growing through the mix. I hope it will bring some nice results and smooth transition.
I also put through watering of stable ec as before with some powerzyme introduced into the game, supervit as always and full dose of root complex which seems to act really nicely its not even increasing the ec and the girls seems to love it.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Sounds good to me on the nutrients.

I typically leave them in the smaller pots for 1-3 weeks depending on how fast they are growing and or if I see a lot of roots coming out of the bottom.

Looking forward to the pics!

I think I might try bit different start next run. I'll start directly in the final pot next time to fully capitalize on roots asap.

Cheers Lethal

Last edited:

Lethal

Hi all,

girls seemed relaxed after the transplant so I went ahead and topped all of them. Will post pictures in couple of days so there will be some visible progress.

Stay good Lethal :tiphat:

Lethal

Week 3 with pictures

Week 3 with pictures

Hi all,
so another week rushed by. There were couple of newsights this week and couple of learning experiences. Firstly my pH is not stable there must some kind pretty strong ph buffer in the water I am getting. What lead me to this well as you will see in pictures below some problem occured on two plants I strongly believe its ph'ed based problem. I started getting rusty spots on the lower leaves which was basically going really fast into necrosis. I did measure the run-off from these plants and I was left behind plastered. It was 7,6 ph (nearly the original ph value of the water) when starting value of the solution was 5,98 (after ph- amendment).

I induced flush with ph'ed water till I took it down to 6 on outcome. I took couple of samples of the solution water and put it into separate containers and measure the values after 2 days. All of those went up to 6,5. So for the feature waterings I will go by getting them bit lower hp on start lets say 5,5 so I can give the girls more time to absorb everything + I will try to water every other day. I hope they will grow of these issues. Interestingly enough its affecting just the SQ's. The biggest one is not affected at all. Ohh and I also cut back the nutes a bit for a while just to stay on safe side.

Second thing I take as a learning is to keep focus on the light especially while jumping directly to big pots the light has to go way up to compensate. No bleaching but the height development was stoped and they didn't want to go bigger. This is was also corrected.

It was nonetheless visible that there was certain transplant stress in place, the place for them just got a lot bigger and they seemd to focus on root growth and overall stabilization. In past 3 day's it seems they are speeding up again. Looking forward to see the development on them. I hope I will keep the ph at bay so they can thrive in their growth.

Please check out the pictures and let me know about your ideas or questions, advices are most welcome too.

Happy growing Lethal :tiphat:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Lethal

Hi JanKowalski, glad that you decided to stop by. What is your take on hempys? Going the classic way or coco perlite?