What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water curing badly cured bud

spugg

My first harvest was Nirvana Northern Lights (indoor organic soil grow) and I made a number of mistakes. The plant was given pure tap water for only 7 days before harvest instead of 14 days, it tried too quickly and was far too dry when it went into the jars. I rehumidified and attempted a freezer cure, removing moisture through sublimation, all to no avail. The smoke is harsh and cough inducing, the taste green. So I decided to do a little experiment. 22 grams of that harvest were put into a glass with filtered tap water. The water is exchanged every 12 hours for 6 days.

The first couple of days the water turned yellow after a few hours and smelled really awful. Now it stays clear and the smell is much better. On day 7 I will remove the water and dry the buds in the oven at 110°C for 30 minutes, then rehydrate using Boveda 62. This way I hope to decarboxylate them as well as quick drying to avoid mold and maybe convert some THC into CBN, making it suitable as a treatment against my insomnia.

My opinion is The buds werent "cured" badly you didnt grow them correctly. You even say its harsh & green. You over dried it, froze it the rehydrated it. Then drowned it. Ive never heard of soaking in water, then drying in oven, then rehydrating them only to redry them and you want to "quick" dry it once again. Tip for ya. There are no short cuts in growing cannabis or curing cannabis, only flushing for only 7 days was not enough time or water to remove all the cloraphill which would have resulted in a better cure. Best bet throw it away and start a new grow over, try again.

spugg

My opinion is The buds werent "cured" badly you didnt grow them correctly. You even say its harsh & green. You over dried it, froze it the rehydrated it. Then drowned it. Ive never heard of soaking in water, then drying in oven, then rehydrating them only to redry them and you want to "quick" dry it once again. Tip for ya. There are no short cuts in growing cannabis or curing cannabis, only flushing for only 7 days was not enough time or water to remove all the cloraphill which would have resulted in a better cure. Best bet throw it away and start a new grow over, try again.

Oh, I've grown plenty of fantastic buds since these, just never smoked these because they didn't turn out well. Now, instead of just throwing them away I use them for experiments and document the experiments. That's how you find out new things.:dance013:

spugg

Results

Results

After 6 days in filtered tap water that was changed every 12 hours:

Going into the oven at 110°C for 35 minutes:

That didn’t dry them completely so I had to let them air dry for an additional day.

Final dry weight: 22g turned into 15g.

Bag appeal: The buds are less airy now, hard, compact, still sticky though. They have very little smell now as opposed to before, but it’s nice. The final test of course is the smoke. I’ll post a report as soon as I get around to it. Lots of tests to do right now.

Subbed.
Always wanted to try this. In the grow book I had years ago it said the end result was almost grey once all the chlorophyll was leached out? Maybe that only resulted when using fresh flowers, I'm unsure.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh, I've grown plenty of fantastic buds since these, just never smoked these because they didn't turn out well. Now, instead of just throwing them away I use them for experiments and document the experiments. That's how you find out new things.:dance013:

They can be useful in numerous ways....they look unlike nice slow dried herb. Good idea -experiments!

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran

Its not a bad idea. Not at all.

spugg

Smoke report

Smoke report

Tool: Vapor Genie vaporizer pipe.
Amount of bud: a small nug, grinded up.
Setting: in the evening with a full belly.
Method of consumption: 5 deep draws.

Bag appeal: Small, brownish, hard, dry nugs. Nothing to write home about.
Smell: A faint odor of skunk, much weaker than the strong, sour smell it used to have.
Taste: This is what the experiment was all about. The vapor is thick and tastes better than before. Aromas of lemon. No more green taste. It is much smoother but not entirely so. Too big of a toke can still hurt the lungs.
High: Heavy, narcotic couch lock. You start to feel it after 5 minutes and it peaks after 20. Excellent sleep medicine, which I was hoping for. I fell asleep after half an hour, woke up after two. It had mostly worn off at this point, so I took another 5 tokes and went to bed. Fell asleep again almost immediately and slept through the entire night, something I rarely manage to do these days.

Final words: Compared to how it was before the experiment the sleep inducing properties have increased and the psychedelic effects are less pronounced. It also seems slightly stronger, probably due to being more concentrated with some of the unwanted stuff washed out of the buds. All in all I consider the experiment to be a partial success. The taste is better, but still not as smooth as I’d like it to be. The medicinal qualities are satisfying, however that is due to the treatment in the oven.
With the remains of this batch I shall make a tincture. I’ve already ordered the ever clear and an oven thermometer.:)

Latest posts

Latest posts