What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can a 600w bulb run on a 1k watt dim ballast?

Benvanboro

Can a 600w bulb be run on a 1,000w digital ballast turned down to 600w? Or does it have to be a 600w ballast?
If it has to match the ballast, am I better off just getting the 1,000w setup and turning it down to 600, until i eventually am in a space where I want the full 1,000w? I'm flowering in a 4x4 tent right now.
Thanks for the help, cheers!

troutman

Seed Whore
Get the proper bulb for your ballast in wattage or it may not work.

Most digital ballast have a 50%, 75% and 100% setting.

If you get the 1000 watt ballast with the 1000 watt bulb and run it at 75% you'll have a 750 watt light basically.

Hope this helps.

SMS65

Unless the ballast has settings to use different bulbs, I would not use a different wattage.

At least that's what I can remember from using MH for aquariums.

Benvanboro

Get the proper bulb for your ballast in wattage or it may not work.

Most digital ballast have a 50%, 75% and 100% setting.

If you get the 1000 watt ballast with the 1000 watt bulb and run it at 75% you'll have a 750 watt light basically.

Hope this helps.

That definitely helps!! Does it still run as hot when turned down to 50%-75%?
Seems like I should go with the 1,000w set up and just turn it down until I either feel comfortable with 1,000w in a 4x4 space, or I get a bigger space.
That is basically what I am trying to figure out at this point. Seems like it would save me money in the long run, but if running a 1,000w set up in a 4x4 grow tent is too much even turned down, then I will go with the 600w setup.

troutman

Seed Whore
If I run my 600 watt light setup at 50% it's nowhere near as warm as when I run it at 100%.

I have no issues with the 600 watts in my tent except in Summer it can get warm.

Regardless which one you choose make sure you got good air extraction or it will get hot fast.

Benvanboro

If I run my 600 watt light setup at 50% it's nowhere near as warm as when I run it at 100%.

I have no issues with the 600 watts in my tent except in Summer it can get warm.

Regardless which one you choose make sure you got good air extraction or it will get hot fast.

Yea I'm not worried about the heat too much I have that under control, in fact a warmer light may be better half of the year or more. So we will see. I would have gone straight with the 600w but the only reason im considering the 1k is my buddy has a hood he's selling me for $40. like new magnum XL, and said he would toss in a 1k watt digi ballast that was like a year old for free. Reason being, he upgraded his whole setup to gavitas and he's a just a good friend lol

SMS65

Yea I'm not worried about the heat too much I have that under control, in fact a warmer light may be better half of the year or more. So we will see. I would have gone straight with the 600w but the only reason im considering the 1k is my buddy has a hood he's selling me for $40. like new magnum XL, and said he would toss in a 1k watt digi ballast that was like a year old for free. Reason being, he upgraded his whole setup to gavitas and he's a just a good friend lol

That is a sweet deal.

issack

Veteran
If heat isn't an issue get the 1000w. And keep the dim at 600 till your girls are ready to take on more. You'll never go back to 600s. Can't beat a 1000 in a 4x4. :joint:

Andyo

Veteran
50 watts per square foot is ideal

50 watts per square foot is ideal

1000 in 4 x 4 is ideal

Smittyfun83

You can dim your 1k bulb but I believe you get better light quality you use a bulb that's rated for the dimmed wattage you are running your ballast at.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Some 1000w ballasts dim at 50%, 75% and have a 110% setting...others are watt specific (600w, 1000w, 1100w). ONLY the watt specific (or 60% setting on a 1000w ballast) are designed to operate a 600w lamp properly.

Now, regarding dimming a 1000w bulb to 600w (which can be done) sounds cool, but the problem is...in order for a 1000w bulb to properly fire up it must start (turn on) at the 1000w setting...THEN dimmed to 600w.

Here is a cut and paste from Hortilux...

If you have a dimmable system, be sure that the system is NOT in the dim mode. It must be at full power for proper starting. NOTE: We DO NOT recommend dimming lamps because it dramatically changes the spectral output required for quality plant growth. A 600W lamp running at 100% power will produce a better spectrum and better plant production than a 1000W lamp being dimmed to 75% or lower.