What's new

Create "super soil" using food scraps?

Hi I have been researching online on how I can create a super soil using food scraps. Every search leads me to creating a compost outside in the backyard which I am unable to do. My question is can I put some peat moss in a tub with food scraps to create a super soil i.e. Banana peels, fish bones etc?

If so I will also be needing suggestions for each macro and micro nutrient to be supplemented within this soil.

I thought of that but it says it needs to be stored somewhere between 45-70 degrees f temps aren't higher than 70 but they are fluctuating to under 45 I don't think I can have one I can't store it indoors the temperature is higher than 70 everywhere

I'm actually finding stuff now it's just going to take a while I was looking for replacements for bone and blood meal came across crab meal alfalfa meal a few others

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
The perfect plant food is worm castings. Red wigglers do a great job making super soil from green kitchen waste. Im doing this now. They turn your waste into premium soil. Worm castings are expensive, make your own.

I would love to do my own worm farm but I have no where to put it can it go in the grow room where temps are 78-80?

And I found EcoScraps I want to try this fertilizer is this a good idea?

I want to mix natures cares potting soil with lime perlite and EcoScraps

Pwyll

No. you can't make supersoil that way. But you can create bokashi and use as a supplement or amendment to Ss.

MazeWL

I have been doing the same research myself. How to turn QUICKLY food scraps into soil amendments and/or growing medium. Well that research led me to start a worm compost. It is running at about 60 degrees F fairly well. But it is not taking care of all my food scraps. Sooooo I saw a couple of “quick” composter such as the “Zera waste” (amongst others) that turn food scraps into “fertilizer” in 24h! From what they show the end result looks nice. But no analysis of what it actually is. I understand that the food scraps is broken into minute pieces then dehydrated with baking soda(or so they say). I am not sure if it is sufficiently broken down for the nutrient to be readily available to the roots. I tried this technique, with a food processor. Grounded about a pound of food scraps + tea bags and coffee, and whilst the machine stirred the food paste, it raised the temperature to 158F for 15mn to get rid of the bad germs then at about 140F for about 5h to get rid of the moisture. The end product weighed about 40% of original weight and 50% of original volume. The result looks decent. I still have to perfect the technique but I am really not 100% sure of the end product content… For one thing, my wormies love feasting on it. Let’s try and learn. If you are interested I have pictures. Peace pon you.

Thank you for your replies after find a bag of eco scraps potting mix for $3.50 a freaking 40 lb bag I began to get suspicious and what do you know... eco scraps is owned by miracle grow

It doesn't matter either way tho because I wanted a solution without bone or blood meal and I found espoma. For my plants I'm doing now I used jobes tomato tho because I'm on a strict schedule and didn't have time to formulate things.

None of the good espomas are in lowes but it's a guy out here with a shop he sells all them shits so I picked up feather meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, rock phosphate and I still want one more additive for flowering I want to do chicken manure but I haven't purchased that yet I'm still decided by final additives

Easy7

Veteran
Having enough phosphorus is crucial for fruiting/flowering plants. I have never heard of anyone making compost explicitly high in phosphorous. Generally a high p guano is more potent.

Sometimes I wonder what i would have for fert if the world went down the crapper. Potent forms of phosphorous are difficult to locate. Not a lot of insects that eat fruit, that bat's eat here.

Moonjuice5050

Of course you can, I used to use a 20 gallon smart pot indoors just in my mud room, a bag of roots organic soil some vermiculite or bokashi, full bag of soil in the bottom of the pot, 2 lbs red wigglers, food scraps on top of the worms, every 3 to4 days put in new kitchen scraps and cover with vermiculite or bokashi, you want it to stay humid but not wet so your worms won't die or escape

Of course you can, I used to use a 20 gallon smart pot indoors just in my mud room, a bag of roots organic soil some vermiculite or bokashi, full bag of soil in the bottom of the pot, 2 lbs red wigglers, food scraps on top of the worms, every 3 to4 days put in new kitchen scraps and cover with vermiculite or bokashi, you want it to stay humid but not wet so your worms won't die or escape

Thank you very much for this post I will tackle this soon. I am very interested in making my own castings. Although I have read some things which indicate that your worms are under continuous stress due to eating their own feces, which sounds pretty fucked up to be honest. But I will look into it

Having enough phosphorus is crucial for fruiting/flowering plants. I have never heard of anyone making compost explicitly high in phosphorous. Generally a high p guano is more potent.

Sometimes I wonder what i would have for fert if the world went down the crapper. Potent forms of phosphorous are difficult to locate. Not a lot of insects that eat fruit, that bat's eat here.

I saw bat guano firstly where do they get the saying "bat shit crazy?"

Secondly I am also using liquid ferts which is why I chose to pass on the bat guano. I am leaning towards using earth juice for flowering, but I will probably use my flora on a few just for yield comparisons. I started out with ff trio and the bud was pretty and smelled fruity and earthly then I used ffof and the buds were tiny as fuck! Still sticky and smelly tho. Then I used flora series I couldn't smell nothing but the bud was big but I kind of liked the organic better but I'm still very new

One more question can I use raw seaweed from the ocean and do anything with it? I'm going to start using willow water tomorrow in my garden and I would love to add something else natural like that

Also have a question about coffee grounds how much should I put in a 12 quart bucket of peat moss?

I've figured out my mix now the guy at the store was being generous and let me exchange lol I'm going to go with neem seed meal, alfalfa meal, homemade sea kelp meal, and bat guano. I would love to replace bat guano with something tho but I know that will be difficult

And I will water with willow water at least once per week mixed with kelp and photosynthesis plus

Also going with earth juice nutes the whole line

Latest posts

Latest posts