Thread Title Search
Click to Visit Sweet Seeds
Thread Closed
That's not organic Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2017, 03:28 PM #1
Pwyll

Pwyll will become famous soon enough
That's not organic

Listening to a podcast I hear some commercial grower bragging his plants were grown "mostly organic". If meat is less than 20% of my diet I am not "mostly vegetarian" I am a meat eater.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:02 PM #2
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwyll View Post
Listening to a podcast I hear some commercial grower bragging his plants were grown "mostly organic". If meat is less than 20% of my diet I am not "mostly vegetarian" I am a meat eater.
The age old question. Who decides what is organic?

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
Sorry: No questions by PM, check my webpage

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:25 PM #3
Gr33nSanta

Gr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really niceGr33nSanta is just really nice
its mostly organic I only spray in veg and first 2 weeks of flowers -JOKE

Old 02-16-2017, 05:31 PM #4
Avinash.miles
Caregiver Extraordinaire

Avinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond reputeAvinash.miles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbeman View Post
The age old question. Who decides what is organic?
easier to decide what's NOT
like don't tell me about the "mostly organic" stuff, tell me about what the OTHER stuff is that was used
just some urea in veg for a boost of green?
or sprayed e20 and avid up to day of harvest?
"mostly organic" can mean so many things.....

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:05 PM #5
III%
Banned

III% has a spectacular aura aboutIII% has a spectacular aura aboutIII% has a spectacular aura aboutIII% has a spectacular aura about
I hate to say it but there is many stupid people in this world.

If you were to ask 100 ppl on the street to define the term organic most would just stand there and drool.

Now organic can be a tricky topic, because some fertilizers are made from 100% organic materials but the company won't pay the exorbinate fees to have it listed omri or other certification.

Now here is something else to look at, grass is organic right in its definition of the word grass is an organic material, however if I use Scotts weed and feed on my grass the grass itself is an organic material but it was not organically grown. If I put that in my compost heap is my compost now not organic?

Also some mined minerals that are commonly used in gardening are technically organic because they come from the earth but they cannot listed as organic.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:18 PM #6
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nicegrowingcrazy is just really nice
The term organic being tossed around with cannabis is mostly still a joke.

We already have a system in place that designates what is and is not a certified organic product by growing method and inputs.

If you are not growing with 100% OMRI ingredients then you can't call it organic. Think of the term "organic" in farming terms not a type of input but just as a type of certification, a "degree" if you will.

Those growers who do not use organics, but do use a 100% natural method, should be considered naturally grown. Essentially organic practices without the cert. Still requiring no inputs that are chemicals, salts or man-made products.

Chems would be anything that comes from a non natural process to create a liquid or powder fertilizer.

This isn't a complicated issue, one non-organic input makes it not organic. I am a farmer, if anybody were to find out an organic farm was using a single non organic practice they would be black listed from the organic community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by III% View Post
I hate to say it but there is many stupid people in this world.

If you were to ask 100 ppl on the street to define the term organic most would just stand there and drool.

Now organic can be a tricky topic, because some fertilizers are made from 100% organic materials but the company won't pay the exorbitant fees to have it listed omri or other certification. Companies like Espoma that use natural inputs don't certify because they can't. Blood and bone meal mostly comes from Mcdonald's Beef feed lots, feather meal from Tyson/Perdue chicken factories, cotton seed meal is one of the most heavily pesticide ridden crops on the planet etc..

Now here is something else to look at, grass is organic right in its definition of the word grass is an organic material, however if I use Scotts weed and feed on my grass the grass itself is an organic material but it was not organically grown. If I put that in my compost heap is my compost now not organic? Yes grass is natural, grown with sunlight and water, it is "organic". Grown with chemical fertilizers its not organic, again this isn't very difficult. Your also weed and feeding the cells in your body if your drinking well water near that grassy patch, fyi.

Also some mined minerals that are commonly used in gardening are technically organic because they come from the earth but they cannot listed as organic. Can you list a couple?
You wouldn't consider a hamburger to be a steak just because they came from a cow.

Last edited by growingcrazy; 02-17-2017 at 01:20 AM..

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:51 PM #7
mojave green
rockin in the free world

mojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud ofmojave green has much to be proud of
Organics are for yuppies!

Old 02-16-2017, 07:03 PM #8
Easy7

Easy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really nice
I don't think it's possible to value a % of organics. Sprayed with man made unnatural chem is about as inorganic as I can imagine.

USDA says organic only has to be 95% organic. Again, no idea here how they value what a % is. Has to say 100% organic to truly be organic.

It's impossible to be 100% organic on Earth. Every part of this planet has pollutants from man.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 PM #9
hillbil

hillbil will become famous soon enough
OMRI does not certify my compost or leaf mold or gravel or Alpaca manure and organic growing has taken place since plants began to grow without an "official" tag.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:34 PM #10
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
it would be defined as transitional and it is better than conventional farming methodologies for the environment and the cultivator can get the benefit of both conventional and organic techniques

and this is a definitive organic definition but it varies based on the authority you are subject too and of course your own conscience

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan

Thread Closed