What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If you winterize dry ice hash, will you end up with shatter?

Will the alcohol dissolve and separate the waxes and leave you with something dabable?

I'm looking for the best and safest way to run an ounce at a time

Tried rosin and it's a pain in the ass and I feel like I lose too much oil

I'm getting good bho, just wondering if there's something better

If your gunna do it make sure to freeze it for at least 24 hours so you can solidify the waxs and lipids then filter those out then purge you'll have a dabbable product

tech1234

this is an interesting idea... and after a quick ponder I dont see why not... just make sure to purge all the ethanol otherwise it will be harsh on the throat

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You would first have to dissolve the hash in the ethanol.

Dry ice hash typically has more chlorophyll, but I wouldn't bother trying to freeze it before extraction. There probably isn't enough moisture left to freeze it in place.

After extraction, I would filter it and then freeze it before filtering again and removing the alcohol.

Not much wax in kif. The trichomes have a wax cap, but the bulk of plant waxes are on the leaves and stems.

You got the best possible person to help you out graywolf is a pioneer and great man to learn from with a wealth of knowledge

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Is there any reason why using dry ice and bubble bag extraction as the first step in making QWEP is not the best method for the cleanest extraction? It seems that you have SIGNIFICANTLY less ethanol to use, waste and have to evaporate off, as well as having less potential contaminants to filter. Is there any downside on using the method?

Thanks!

WFF

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there any reason why using dry ice and bubble bag extraction as the first step in making QWEP is not the best method for the cleanest extraction? It seems that you have SIGNIFICANTLY less ethanol to use, waste and have to evaporate off, as well as having less potential contaminants to filter. Is there any downside on using the method?

Thanks!

WFF

What MK said. Nice extract but hard to get much more than about half the trichomes before fine plant debris becomes noticeable.

We typically finish stripping the rest of the resin using a solvent, so as to produce a second grade.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
What MK said. Nice extract but hard to get much more than about half the trichomes before fine plant debris becomes noticeable.

We typically finish stripping the rest of the resin using a solvent, so as to produce a second grade.

Thanks GW! Your site is a wealth of knowledge. My goal is to create e-liquid style oil for vape pens. What is the disadvantage of fine plant debris being in the first wash of 200 proof Extractohol then going though lab filters? If I pushed the dry ice extraction to 5-6 minutes instead 3-4, could I do a quicker first ethanol wash and avoid contaminants but still get max extraction? I typically use a 120 bubble bag and go pretty hard on the material. Would you recommend a different u screen like 180 or higher to maximize dry ice extraction?

As for the second wash, the material after dry ice run is a pretty fine powder from being pulverized. Would you recommend a different solvent for the second run other than ethanol? Or just a very quick QWEP on the material? Could I do a traditional ice water bubble wash after with the second material and get closer to max extraction?

Would you recommend the Best Value Vac 3 gallon system with digital heater as an affordable option for purge?

Thanks so much!!!

WFF

Latest posts

Latest posts